Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late Season 4 day ski tours - Near(ish) Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

A friend and I are hoping to go on a 4/5 day ski tour in the last weekend in March and looking for potential destinations/tours.

We are going to pick up a car at geneva so relatively flexible. We've done a few trips with guides (UCPA, etc) from Chamonix so keen to get out on our own, ideally on a hut-to-hut tour - but preferably somewhere on a route away from glaciers if possible and too many (or any) 30 degree plus slopes! Also want to be fairly high as it's towards the end of the season, etc.

Any help much appreciated ! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try the Beaufortain Massif opposite Les Arcs/La Plagne. There are a couple of great huts (the new du Beurre is at the link below). Some great day tours out of that hut and a couple of other hut options if you want a change of scenery. Not all manned though. No glaciers and good routes to avoid anything too steep.

https://www.refugedunantdubeurre.fr
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look at the West Oberland ski tour. This route is Les diablerets across to Kandersteg. There are snags however!
The route crosses several glaciers and there are one or two steep bits to consider.
Consult ISM for advice, their trip is not cheap but if you can talk to any of the guides they will share knowledge I'm sure.
March is not late in the "touring" season, when we did the tour we dropped into Kandersteg on 22nd April having skied half a metre of powder that morning on Rote Totz!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Verbier.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for those tips - all sound great ! Will have a look into both. And hadn't thought of Verbier either (although a bot concious that we are on a budget...)

Thanks again
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Point de la Sana out of Pralognan:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2887516

Or Mont Thabor out of Val Frejus:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2027068

Both are safe from glaciers and have a low risk of avalanches.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 11-02-19 7:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Verbier to Zermatt section of Haute route. Stay in huts so not expensive. Don’t need a car as you can use train at both ends
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
Verbier to Zermatt section of Haute route. Stay in huts so not expensive. Don’t need a car as you can use train at both ends

Don't disagree, spectacular route but unless global warming has forced the Glaciers to retreat and flattened out some of the steeper sections I don't think it meets the OP's remit!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes - thanks ! The Haute Routes definitely on the list (and before global warming ruins it for all time), but maybe not quite yet! thanks though!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

You could try the Beaufortain Massif opposite Les Arcs/La Plagne. There are a couple of great huts (the new du Beurre is at the link below). Some great day tours out of that hut and a couple of other hut options if you want a change of scenery. Not all manned though. No glaciers and good routes to avoid anything too steep.

https://www.refugedunantdubeurre.fr

Could also head into the Beaufortain from Les Contamines - easy touring, no glaciers. I'm told the touring in the Aravais is also very nice (e.g., La Clusaz). Over the back of the Aiguilles Rouge from Chamonix would be another area
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
panaga52 wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Don't disagree, spectacular route but unless global warming has forced the Glaciers to retreat and flattened out some of the steeper sections I don't think it meets the OP's remit!!

I don’t remember any particularly steep sections? And it will see plenty of guided traffic so the route is pretty obvious (in good weather!) and there are people around in case of a problem. That last day down to Zermatt on the Stockji is a beauty!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think are current plan is to go to Mont Thabor area, loosely based on the itinerary in the Cicerone guidebook (thanks Altis - and everyone else!). Now to sort out the actual faff Very Happy May be back asking for more tips !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy