Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where am I going in March? Tips please...

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for inspiration for 3 days skiing in March. It’s just me and a friend, both experienced skiers. I’ll take on anything but don’t like terrifying for the sake of it, friend is capable but prefers a nice easy cruise along, so 3 days of decent reds and blues is fine. We like easy access from accommodation to piste - nothing too hard to get back to at the end of a day as we may well be merry and find walking in ski boots harder than it ought to be! We like a decent bar at morning break, lunch, apres, and evening, but don’t need it to be the Krazy Kangeroo! Open to all suggestions, as long as they are within 3 hours of Munich airport (work discount on flights and car hire means it’s got to be there.) Where am I going? Rather annoyingly for the second year in a row my available days fall over Fasching.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We love Ski Juwel in Alpbach - 90 mins from Munich Airport and Austria's most beautiful village. Perfect for intermediates with some good off piste too. Check it out and see what you think.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Arlberg is the obvious suggestion but other places might be. Saalbach Hinterglemm especially if the drinking bit is important. Kitzbühel is a good ski area perhaps not quite so good for the apres. The Zillertal has plenty of skiing and Mayrhofen has a reputation as a party place. Lots of other places, given that everywhere will have the usual selection of bars and Gasthofs I am sure you will have a good time wherever you end up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flachau-Ski Amade. But I would say that. Ticks all the boxes though. Have a look at @theredandwhiteskicompany on Facebook for some ideas.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've been to the Zillertal, SkiWelt, Wilder Kaiser and Zell am Zee in the last couple of years and Saalbach is the family holiday at half term. Love the Arlberg but is just a little bit further to get to, and a little bit more expensive than other places. I've never been to either Alpbach or Ski Amade - any recommendations for accommodation that is reasonably near the slopes and bars?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lech.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Right, still struggling with this. By necessity we had to book late, but now we can't find a hotel/b&b/pension/guesthouse/anything. We are on a budget of £150 per room per night max, and happy to go anywhere we don't have to get in a car to get from the accommodation to the slopes. We'll be flying into Munich as that is where my work discounts can get me to. We've got 3 nights 7-10 March and our days are fixed at that (pesky work getting in the way of fun again!) I have scoured all the local accommodation websites for Ski Welt, Ski Juwel, Ski Amade, Arlberg, etc and I don't know if I'm looking wrong but I can't find anything. Normally I just look on t'internet and book what I like the look of! Never struggled before.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should just add I've wasted a few days finding hotels which say they have availability and then when you send an enquiry they reply that they are full, but because they are full they aren't always prompt at getting back to me to let me know this.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Lucy at the Erlenhof in Alpbach - stayed there last year and it was perfect. 5 minute walk to the ski bus which goes every few minutes. We had a bit of a panic search as well but had a lot of help from the folks on this website https://www.alpbachtal.at/en

Failing that try Reith or Brixlegg which are on the ski bus route as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pandora, I recently (two weeks ago) booked that exact weekend, Munich to Mayrhofen. I had trouble finding a place for 4, but finally found an apartment at £1100 for 4 days. Between 4, for s/c it's still higher cost than i would like - but in the end it was that or nothing.

I was sure at the time, there was availability elsewhere in Zillertal, specifically Zell am Ziller, for a double/twin room.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I've wasted a few days finding hotels which say they have availability and then when you send an enquiry they reply that they are full, but because they are full they aren't always prompt at getting back to me to let me know this.

They aren't necessarily full but they'd prefer guests who stay for the whole week, I guess - that's very much the case in France and I don't see why the economics of Austrian hotels would be very different. Try Air BnB? Or telephone tourist offices?

When are you thinking of travelling? Have you checked for German/Dutch holidays?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I've wasted a few days finding hotels which say they have availability and then when you send an enquiry they reply that they are full, but because they are full they aren't always prompt at getting back to me to let me know this.

They aren't necessarily full but they'd prefer guests who stay for the whole week, I guess

Agreed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As you mentioned that week is Fasching week which is one of the busiest weeks of the year for the Austrian resorts so accommodation is always going to be in short supply, plus you are looking for a part week over a Saturday night. I often find it is better to wait until the week before as then places which have not sold full weeks pop up with availability though realise not so good when you want to be sure of getting somewhere. Just checked St Anton and, at least in theory, my favourite place, the Reselehof, has a double room free on those dates within your budget.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pandora, have you tried flangesax's place in Radstadt ...haus susanne?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you for the suggestions. Haus Susanne isn’t available but I am liking the look of that hotel, munich_irish! I have sent them an enquiry (and hope that it doesn’t come back like the other bunch of ‘ah, sorry, the website is wrong - we are actually full’ replies I’ve had.

Lesson learnt to book sooner. Normally I’d have been on it, but my dad spent all of January in hospital very seriously ill, combined with me needing to spend the month getting back to work after time off - I had some chewy bits removed from inside my ankle, and surgery and piloting do not go well together. Means my legs feels amazing now though for skiing! Fasching was in the middle of school half term last year and I breathed a sigh of relief that it was not in the school hols this year, a premature sigh of relief, it would seem. What I do recall from last year though is that the resort was rammed for the first half of the week, then it emptied out on Wednesday night/Thursday morning and we were surprised how quiet it was for the rest of the week.

Anyway, any more tips, keep them coming! And thanks again.
latest report
@pandora, I would try Sunweb, if struggling for availability with fixes dates. NB Sunweb prices include a lift pass.
snow report
@pandora, as said above it's Fasching week 2nd to 9th March. Bavaria have a week off and elsewhere have a day or two off. It's a generally busy week and you want to cross two weeks. You might have more luck being flexible, staying one place on the 7th/8th and another on the 9th. Plus you say that you are hiring a car but do not want to drive to the lifts? That will restrict your choice considerably.

Good luck!
snow conditions
Sadly, a reasonable part of my holiday without kids involves filling myself with beer as I make my way back down the mountain. Skiing with the family I am more responsible, but when it's me and a mate we let our hair down a little. We hire a car because it means we can get from airport to resort quicker than on a bus or shuttle. We would love to be more flexible but unfortunately 2 jobs and 5 kids means restrictions on our spare time are fairly, um, restrictive.
ski holidays
pandora wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions. Haus Susanne isn’t available but I am liking the look of that hotel, munich_irish! I have sent them an enquiry (and hope that it doesn’t come back like the other bunch of ‘ah, sorry, the website is wrong - we are actually full’ replies I’ve had.

That is an annoying thing with the tourist office websites. There are some places, not necessarily the expensive places, that are"sofort buchbar" ie you can book them through the site but most places you have to send a mail or phone. Sometimes with the more old fashioned places they only check email occasionally but I suspect most places only reply when they actually want to sell the room (or wait a little while to see if they get any other interest). It is often best to phone if it is somewhere you are really interested in.

I have stayed at the Reselehof a couple of times, it is very nice, the owners are very helpful and it is central without being noisy (it is about 2 minutes walk to the Nasserein lift). Hopefully they still have the room available.
latest report
@pandora, I think kooky rents out her apartment in Altenmarkt. Might be worth dropping her a pm? She also might have some other ideas for Ski Amade.
snow report
Hotel Reselehof has space but will not sell it to us for a 3 night block until they are sure they can't sell it for a week. I'm ditching Austria and Munich flights as an option and off to look at France with <sharp> an airline that is not my employer!
snow report
Quote:

Lesson learnt to book sooner

Or rather, be aware that a few odd days spanning a Saturday, especially at one of the busiest times of year, is always going to pose problems for finding accommodation. Any hotel will be reluctant to confirm those days until they have given up hope of letting out the full weeks.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Lesson learnt to book sooner

Or rather, be aware that a few odd days spanning a Saturday, especially at one of the busiest times of year, is always going to pose problems for finding accommodation. Any hotel will be reluctant to confirm those days until they have given up hope of letting out the full weeks.

Weirdly this has never been a problem in nearly 2 decades of organising the girls ski weekend even when there have been a big gang of us, but I’ve always avoided half term and Easter. I completely didn’t have Fasching on my radar as it is more usually in February. Maybe I’ve been lucky all this time!
snow conditions
Try Switzerland
ski holidays
Holy moley that was hard! But we've managed it. Careful rearranging of our expectations means we are now going out very late on a Wednesday instead of early on a Thursday, and returning home late on a Saturday instead of late on a Sunday. But we still get the same amount of skiing thanks to flying into Geneva (reshuffling of dates made this just about doable) and going to St Gervais. Tartiflette instead of Tiroler Grostl, but beer is beer in Austria or France!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy