Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Measles epidemic in Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
I found this this morning
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/mmr-vaccine-when-needed/

Specifically:
Quote:

Adults and MMR
Adults who missed out on the MMR vaccination as a baby and are therefore not immune can have the MMR vaccine on the NHS. It's given to adults as 2 doses, with the second dose given at least a month after the first.
Some adults may not have received full protection because of changes in the MMR vaccine. Anyone born between 1980 and 1990 may not have received a mumps vaccine, and anyone born between 1970 and 1979 may have only had a measles vaccine.
If you fall into one of these groups, ask your GP for the MMR vaccination.

So I should have had the measles vaccine, but probably not mumps.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shouldn't get it twice. But can never say never, like chicken pox.

Hurtle... I wouldn't bother getting vaccinated personally. If you are too old to be vaccinated you are well past the peak age and may well have had it but not noticed.

110000 died of Measles in 2017. Makes off piste skiing look like a joke.

As an aside I'd love to see good research into autistic spectrum / educational achievement in non vaccinated children. I'd also like to see Wakefield and the Mail sued by people who have had measles as a result.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just out of interest a quick Google reveals that getting your kids vaccinated against measles increases educational outcomes.

Also the inflammatory response to MMR is about a tenth that of getting a cold
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@scarlet, my Australian-brought-up g/f revealed to me that she had never heard of (and indeed had not had) a BCG - and we live in inner London where TB is 'rife' in certain immigrant communities. I sent her to the GP who was bemused at the request and sent her home again. Her sister is a midwife and was given one on account of likely closer contact with immigrant communities. That said it is not a universally effective immunisation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, someone having two doses of MMR will still have about 95% protection after 20 years. Mumps protection seems to reduce after 10 years, but is still not ineffective.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@James the Last, He said 10 years, I think, for BCG which made me wonder why we bother putting kids through that one. It's also a disease that you can catch and not show symptoms for – it can lie dormant for years and then show up when you become e.g. immunocompromised.

@Hells Bells, I've never had MMR (too old), but in that case I'll assume the two doses of Measles vaccine I've had should cover me for Val T this year. Never been vaccinated against mumps, but did catch it as a child so hopefully won't get that again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, unlikely.

@James the Last, some info on BCG. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/bcg-tuberculosis-tb-vaccine/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TB is much less infective, as its a bacteria. A right PITA if you do though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After years of having just an adequately positive response to the post-production BCG "skin tests" each year I had a far bigger reaction - half my arm red and swollen. So presumably I'd been in contact with a case and developed a stronger immunity. I was X-rayed. No TB.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, I don't want to alarm you (I'm sure you have no reason to be alarmed), but TB isn't always picked up by an X-ray. The case I was close to recently was discovered, I think, by a CT scan, though X-rays and MRI were also taken.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well it must have been at least 30 years ago @Scarlet, and I've made it so far... wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Possibly 40 years
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right, so I'm now totally confused.
Outbreak of measles in VT and more generally France & the Alps.
Checked my daughter vacs record and she's had MMR jab 1 & 2, Jab 2 less than a decade ago, so she's all set.
Myself and the missus are both over 50 and so NHS has no idea at all what we've had. Pretty sure we'll have had whatever was offered, but what was that?
Measles vac was trialed and then rolled out in early 60's on NHS I believe, so by late 60's we should have both had something. No idea about mumps & rubella.
GP says come in for an MMR booster now, and another in a month.
We'll be back and forth to the Alps like a yoyo over the next 8 weeks, with associated plane travel and jamming into alpine telecabines.

So the boosters have got to be worth it right? NHS advice is if you don't know whether or when you had the vac then come in and get MMR booster.

So I'm booked to get jab1 on Tuesday morning next week, and then fly out Wednesday. Any problems with that plan?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
@James the Last, He said 10 years, I think, for BCG which made me wonder why we bother putting kids through that one. .

I thought they stopped routinely giving the BCG in UK schools back in ~2007? Certainly my kids never had one.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pejoli, That would make sense. I had mine a while before that.
snow report
@midgetbiker, your missus would probably have had the rubella vaccine at around aged 13 at school. You won't have had it. Neither of you will have had a mumps vaccine. I was born in 1964 and didn't have a measles vaccine, I think I just missed the national roll out. My siblings born in 1966 and 1968 did. but the original single measles vaccine was not so effective. as that intriduced after 1967. I'm going to chat with our nurse practitioner later about it, so will report back.
ski holidays
We were '66 and '67 so I reckon we just got the measles vac (with the wife having rubella later as you say). Sounds like the GP is right then and crack on with the MMR boosters (all booked in now anyway).

I have a definite childhhod memory of waking up in Blackpool one morning to a hell of a rash and finding it really funny, until it wasn't. That could well have been chicken pox though, the wife's had that twice now, once as a kid and then once in her 40's when our daughter got it.
ski holidays
They still routinely give BCG in areas of high risk in the UK - mainly where there is a lot of immigration from countries where it is still an issue. At least that was the case about five years ago.
snow report
Had measles and mumps as a kid, have had a few vaccinations but can't remember which ones .
Seem to remember a whole load of us getting heaf tests before getting BCG and some getting very big lumps
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, thanks, yes I had found that and been suitably educated!
ski holidays
Meanwhile, back to Val T, there are now 25 confirmed cases of measles.
latest report
25 doesn't sounds too bad really, there must be 10,000 people in resort.
snow report
Probably quite a lot who wouldn't bother going to a doctor.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
The media speculation did make us look twice and do our own research. As it came out around the time we were vaccinating my eldest of memory serves. The research meant we did go ahead with the MMR, given he frenzy I can understand why people asked questions and paid for separate jabs.

As it turns out our youngest is on the spectrum as well. There is a Facebook group that I joined where many are blaming the Autism in their children on vaccines. Sad

It's absolutely your business but I respectfully suggest that you leave that group.

That's the number of children in Wakefield's "study". Most of them referred to him by a solicitor trying to put together a case for "vaccine damage".
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

Well, most people recover from a measles infection without further problems but there can be serious complications. Up to and including death.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/measles/complications/
snow report
If you get measles, just power through it.

Some vitamin C and Advil, and yall set wink
snow report
davidof wrote:

0.25% of the population, bearing in mind most will have been vaccinated or are immune through previous exposure.
Some won't have consulted with a doctor, there is an incubation period of 10 days so most people contracting it there won't develop symptoms untill they get home it may not be insignificant.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy