Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Measles epidemic in Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
I have had measles four times (and mumps twice). My sister and brother had measles 5 times each. Still not sure if we are immune so I get really worried when there are outbreaks - last time I had measles was at 12 and it was not pleasant. So @RobinS possibly you could get it again. There is something to be said for herd immunity.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What can people do to avoid measles if they are going to Val tho? anyone got any good ideas? I would imagine food preparation could be a vector.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'd know if it was bed bugs. I suffered in a Malaysian hostel and couldnt sleep in the bed they were so unbelievably itchy. I recall the bites being in straight lines.
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know why people always bring up thalidomide in these discussions.
that example is the purest combination of not knowing the product isoforms, being pre gmp regulations and also the company doing shoddy animal tox work.
any one of those being remedied would have prevented the horror that resulted.

The wakefield example and mmr is simply a result of the media and general population being ignorant.
to quote the late terry pratchett 'a lie can run round the world before the truth has it's boots on'.
Ultimately the only remedy is to either improve knowledge and punishing falsehood that leads to health disasters or turning into a totalitarian state where the government tells you what to believe
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
I'm too old to have been vaccinated and, although I've had both measles and rubella, I've never had mumps. Should I be worried?

I’m the same and my brother had mumps but despite the doctor advising that we shouldn’t be kept apart, I still didn’t catch it.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@geepee, same - I didn't catch mumps from my sister.
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, per the font of all knowledge, 9 out of 10 people who share the same living space with a carrier will be infected.

I wish I had the same conversion rate with my prospects!

Be vaccinated. All you can do I suspect.

I remember the Mums when I was a child organising Measles’n’Mumps parties as soon as kids caught them... all invited, free presents for all...
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lol.

All the saisonaires banging each other like rabbits and spreading the pox Laughing
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely that is the wrong virus...... Measles is different to rotten crotch disease
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@grahamt1980, you are confusing trolling with facts and reality.

@Whitegold, does not do reality or facts.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's ok I got it. Surely you are not telling me that belle de neige isn't true
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@grahamt1980, I thought all saisonaires were virgins until they met their life partner. Am I wrong?
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
grahamt1980 wrote:

to quote the late terry pratchett 'a lie can run round the world before the truth has it's boots on'.

I always thought that was Jonathan Swift, but I'll bow to your superior knowledge.
latest report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not putting it beyond Terry pratchett doing a bit of plagiarism, but that's where I read it. Sorry.
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
I remember the Mums when I was a child organising Measles’n’Mumps parties as soon as kids caught them... all invited, free presents for all...

Shocked I hope everyone survived intact. I remember the idea of chicken pox parties, as that is generally much nastier for adults than children, but mumps and measles are not trivial illnesses to be encouraged. I was deaf for several years after a bout of mumps as a four year old (pre-vaccine).
snow report     
@Scarlet, my cousin's daughter, aged 16 and an only child, has just recovered from a really severe dose of chicken pox as she managed to avoid it until now.
snow report     
@Hells Bells, my dad caught it when we brought it home from school as kids, and he was really ill too. I think regarding chicken pox, 16 would probably be classed as an adult? In the sense that a 16 year old is not really a child anymore and will react as an adult to an illness like chicken pox.

(Edited coz I’m not explaining myself very well Confused )
ski holidays     
The look of relief on the French doctor’s face when he asked if we had thought about vaccinating our son and our reply was ‘yes please to all of them’.

There are signs up in the medical center warning about measles outbreaks but still people dick around with their child (and other children’s) lives because of some poo-poo their ‘mummy friend’ posted on Facebook.

I get tired of calling out all the anti vaccine stuff but you have to.
ski holidays     
Mmm I know its not popular to agree with @Whitegold, but I think he has a point here, many of this years seasonnaires are of the MMR scare disaster era, from NHS Choices:

How measles is spread

The measles virus is contained in the millions of tiny droplets that come out of the nose and mouth when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
You can easily catch measles by:
•breathing in these droplets
•touching a surface the droplets have settled on and then placing your hands near your nose or mouth (the virus can survive on surfaces for a few hours)

Potentially a toxic mix......
ski holidays     
@Scarlet, I know what you mean. My sister reminded me that her ex caught chickenpox as an adult, and ended up in hospital.
latest report     
We don't routinely vaccinate against it though, perhaps we should.
latest report     
My oldest @alwaysblue had measles, and she has autism! Anti-vaxxers can stick that in their pipe and smoke it.

She was due for her vaccinations, but as both of us worked full-time and the doctor's surgery only opened during office hours, and I was struggling with morning sickness from my pregnancy with @alwayzpink. So we weren't as prompt as we should have been.. and we weren't aware there was an outbreak or we'd have been down there much faster.

So, she caught it, she was fine beyond what you would expect - not a nice disease. However, I was vaccinated as a child, and apparently also had it as a child (before vaccination) and I caught it. Well, I caught "modified measles" which is a milder variant you can get if you have partial immunity. What a lot of people don't know is that unless you have a booster shot, which most children until the 90s did not have, your immunity is 80%. With the booster, it is 90%. So if you haven't had a booster, you should.

There was pretty much zero research on measles in pregnancy. So that was nice and worrying. @alwayzpink never stops talking, but I don't think the measles is the cause.

My brother - also vaccinated - caught it fully. He ended up in hospital on a drip, but recovered fine.

Our story is one that doesn't hit the headlines, but for every awful death, there's probably hundreds of non-newsworthy but still incredibly unpleasant and stressful stories like ours.

The family bash will be interesting to test the immunity of our lot (all vaccinated, including boosters, but clearly we have a genetic component to being susceptible) I guess!!
ski holidays     
Hells Bells wrote:
@Scarlet, I know what you mean. My sister reminded me that her ex caught chickenpox as an adult, and ended up in hospital.

#metoo, very very nasty.
latest report     
If you want a well-informed but non-medic view of immunisation and related issues, I can recommend a eBook by a disinterested female American science journalist who started with no particular view either way, but did have a science background and decided to do the work needed to get an informed view. If anything, I'd say she started with a slightly sceptical view (which I'd agree with) that doctors don't always know what's best. Anyway, if you want to be more informed on the broader issues around inoculation and immunisation, it's a good treatment of the subject for non-clinical readers.

'On Immunity: An Inoculation' by Eula Biss, 2014, Fitzcarraldo Editions, ISBN 978-0-9929747-4-9
latest report     
My daughter contracted measles at 8 months old and was unwell but nothing too horrendous. She was given the normal MMR vaccination at 13 months old.

Later when at infant school at some point, the government decreed that the measles vaccine did not have a high degree of effectiveness and advocated that children get another MMR vaccination.

I didn't get her vaccinated again (two totally unnecessary vaccines thrown in) because as far as I was concerned one vaccination and natural immunity should cover her nicely. Every other vaccination known to man (me) has been given her including Gardasil at the age of 17 which I paid for privately and gives more protection than the vaccine that later came on the market for teenagers.
latest report     
I was in Val Thorens January, didn't know of this at all.

Called doc's this morning - at age of 37, being advised to get an MMR booster. Whilst it is likely I had the Measles jab - apparently my records do not have any mention of it. Likely due to being at private school with private docs etc (who knows).

Fun times. Back in VT for Birthday Bash so deffo not taking any chances.
snow conditions     
Knowing how fast any lurgy spreads amongst seasonnaires, I'd recommend being careful in the rest of the 3 Valleys. Confused
snow report     
grahamt1980 wrote:
I don't know why people always bring up thalidomide in these discussions.
that example is the purest combination of not knowing the product isoforms,

So they used to teach us. But perhaps not. The body apparently readily converts the two enantiomers into each other.

https://academic.oup.com/toxsci/article/110/1/4/1668162
latest report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair enough, but had they actually done the correct tox testing looking at teratogenic properties it would have shown up fast.
Ultimately the whole issue would have been resolved by preventing use during pregnancy.
sadly
ski holidays     
I'm fairly sure I haven't had either the measles vaccine or measles - I was just a year or two too early for the MMR. My younger brother had it and my Mum asked the nurse if I could too, but was told that if I hadn't hadn't measles by then I would be immune and was too old for the MMR. I'm going to VT in April. Should I be worried? Can I go and get the vaccine now as an adult?
ski holidays     
@Gämsbock, there was an outbreak when we were at high school, and everyone was given it. Did you not get one then? Would have been around 1995.
snow report     
@Scarlet, good question. I remember getting the rubella vaccine in about 1994/95, it might be possible that that was a dual? Not sure how I'd find out though.
snow report     
@Gämsbock, Ask your doctor, this is potentially too serious to rely on internet forum advice.
ski holidays     
Wasn’t that meningitis? @Scarlet, I’m 1982 and I had MMR in england. Husband is 1977 and didn’t get it in NI.
snow conditions     
Must confess that I think vaccination out to be a legal requirement unless medically exempted.

Mind you, not a few properly medically qualified Drs are also quacks.
ski holidays     
@Gämsbock, @Nadenoodlee, curiosity sufficiently peaked to check immunisation record (diligently kept by my mum Laughing )

Meningitis C was Nov 1999
Measles/rubella was Nov 1994 (looks like that was a dual jab)

That was my second measles and rubella jab.

Both of these were given through schools/colleges, so if you were in education at the time and didn’t opt out, you should’ve received them, but obviously check your own records.
snow report     
My vaccination record was lost at some time in the past and neither I nor my medical records have a copy. I'm reliant on my / my Mum's memory. My current doctor is Swiss so is unlikely to know with any certainty what what administered in the UK at the time. I could ask him if there is any possibility / disadvantage to getting it now on the basis of not being sure I had it. However, I 'm feeling rather reassured by Scarlet's point about the rubella vaccine - I remember clearly having this at school aged 13 (which would have been 94/95), and looking back at the literature it seems it was given as a dual vaccine at this time. I didn't opt out of anything and got whatever was the norm. So I think in all probability I did have it then.
snow report     
I might have the vaccination information for various age groups at work. I'll have a nose around this morning and see what I can find out.
snow conditions     
@Hells Bells, thank-you very much!
ski holidays     
@Hells Bells, More importantly, are these jabs we were given 20+ years ago still effective? I was recently told by a TB doctor that the vaccines we were given at school would now be largely ineffective, which did concern me somewhat as I have no idea which others wear off and which continue to offer protection?
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy