Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Delta Airlines carry-on baggage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Delta’s rules for carry-on bags on transatlantic flights say one piece of luggage and one personal item (e.g.handbag, laptop bag, etc.), totalling no more than 12kg.

I have an Ortovox Freerider 22 litre sack. Do you think I would get away with this as my “laptop bag” as well as a cabin bag (the latter fits into those size checkers and I wouldn’t exceed the overall 12kg limit)?

I don’t want to be that numpty holding up the check-in queue ...!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looked them up on google, I think they might suggest you are extracting the Michael if you suggest it is effectively a "laptop bag". On the other hand they just might accept you if there is not generally too much obvious extra cabin baggage awaiting in the check in queue.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Traditional it's taken that your cabin bag should fit in the overhead locker and your laptop bag under the seat infront of you.

If the flight isn't very full and the gate staff are having a good day you might be fine. On the other hand you ARE taking the wee wee (when I go skiing my cabin bag's an 11 litre daysack, with helmet on outside) and could find yourself told to wait till everyone else has boarded so they know how much cabin bag space they have...to then have both your cabin bags checked in to the hold as there's no cabin bag space left.

Checked bagage on a transatlantic flight isn't that much of a pain. Unless you're at the front of the bus the bags are often out by the time you've negotiated boarder control.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have BA status, I think it transfers to Delta - so you might get extra baggage allowance.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mr.Egg, BA status transfers to American (One World Alliance) - I'm not aware of any benefits on Delta.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BA are nothing to do with Delta.

If I had a penny for every passenger who thinks that they can be the exception to the rule and try and bring something obviously not in the spirit of things in terms of cabin baggage, I'd be booking up that flash hotel in Zermatt and getting there by private jet instead of the budget trip I'm trying to throw together. While passengers love to have a lot of stuff in the cabin, strictly speaking you rarely need it in the cabin. Most passenger aircraft do not have enough locker space for everyone to bring on their full entitlement. They rely on some people bringing a bit less. When someone brings on a bit more, it needs a couple of people to bring on a bit less. The problem arises when most people try to bring on a bit more. And all those people who want to put a buggy or a wedding dress or their very expensive cello as well as their cabin baggage and think that their thing is special. There simply isn't the space. Down in the hold though? Bags of room. The more baggage people trying and bring through security too the longer the queues there. Every extra bit of luggage that shouldn't be there adds to delays.

You are allowed to bring on a laptop bag as well as your cabin bag because it is widely acknowledged and recommended that you don't put something of such value in the hold. Obviously if the thing you are trying to present as a laptop bag doesn't have a laptop in it, then regardless of size you don't actually need to have it in the cabin for security purposes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your varied feedback everyone. In practice, I'm not looking to double up on my hand luggage, but to avoid the "waste" of packing an empty rucksack in my checked luggage while squeezing my laptop/ipad into my carry-on.

On balance, probably not worth the potential grief at the check-in desk!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair wrote:
@Mr.Egg, BA status transfers to American (One World Alliance) - I'm not aware of any benefits on Delta.

Ahh thats right.
I get them mixed up.
Delta is in cahoots with virgin.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

by the time you've negotiated boarder control.

Am I the only one quietly smiling at this? Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sproggski wrote:
In practice, I'm not looking to double up on my hand luggage, but to avoid the "waste" of packing an empty rucksack in my checked luggage while squeezing my laptop/ipad into my carry-on.

Oh, in that case you stand a much better chance. If you're talking about a basically empty 22L rucksack that will clearly fit under the seat infront you would probably be fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy