Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Munich from Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having done Oberau in Wildschoenau (Ski Juwel) to Munich yesterday afternoon, I wondered whether I should have asked here first. We left about 3.45 and were at Munich airport three hours later - against the 1.5 hours that Google maps reckons it should/could take.

The motorway was one long Stau, and both google maps and the car's onboard sat nav (hired Ford) were endlessly diverting us onto side roads to avoid the motorway. Sadly now that lots of people use traffic-enabled satnavs, there were rather more people on the side roads than perhaps one would have hoped for...

Is Monday/Tuesday night a better option for planning a return from a long weekend, as it avoids the Muencheners who are driving home on a Sunday night?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@James the Last, Yes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes.

We drove from Mayrhofen on a Sunday afternoon a couple of years ago. Despite allowing what we thought was enough travel time we only just made it to check-in (still in our ski clothes).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@James the Last, Meant to add, we used to leave the slopes at 2pm for a 7pm flight a few years ago knowing we had a 3 hour car journey, nowadays its best to allow 2 hours additional time. there's nothing worse than being sat in traffic knowing your flight check-in is looming and being grid-locked.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IME it's anything from chokka to total carnage every Sunday evening, as all the day/weekend skiers head home. I've spent an hour parked on the A8 before. At least I'm not heading for a flight. You can't take a diversion if you're stuck half way between 2 junctions with the engine turned off for an hour.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@James the Last, yes probably. It's almost always slow crossing the border and the roadworks on the A99 certainly don't help. Anything you can do to avoid peak times will certainly help.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have found that going cross country helps, especially around some of the busy junctions. I usually base decisions on Google traffic but head via Raubling to Rosenheim and then cross country to Erding and the airport. It takes longer than a clear journey on the motorway but you don't get clear motorways at this time of year. I once took 6 hours to get from Saalbach to Munich on motorways.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. Looks as though I had a fairly lucky escape then. We crossed the border on minor roads (thanks to satnav/Google) and then after a spot of Autobahn went up the Mangfall valley (Bad Aibling, Bruckmuehl, etc.) and on almost as far as Munich (thanks to satnav/Google again). Missed the A99 entirely as had to go via Munich station to drop off my passenger, and was then treated to a terrifying drive, on my own, to the airport in absolutely torrential rain with high winds. Mercifully it was mostly restricted to 80kph, but the moment the 80 signs disappeared the Autobahn went crazy again.

Never seen anything like the hire-car return at Munich BTW. No wonder they said 'just leave the car with the keys in' - the cars were turning up like they do for a cross-channel ferry, in their hundreds and hundreds. Must be quite some fun sorting all that out overnight and getting the right cars to the right company.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope you took some pics of the car before you left the checking area at the hire car return.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@daveqpr, +1 better still a video.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@James the Last, the autobahn back on Sunday evening is often very slow, if you can travel another time it certainly makes sense. There are a couple of worthwhile alternatives but not always obvious. The current roadworks on the A99 (just near where I live) dont help much either, they will be there until the end of the year (road is being widened to four lanes).

Sunday evening I was driving back from St Anton over the Fernpass, which was fine except for the normal queue just north of Garmisch. The rain did suddenly come down and driving was not easy for an hour or so, some folk really do drive without consideration for the conditions.

Even in quiet dry conditions 1.5 hours from Oberau to the airport would be pushing it, I would say 2 hours would be a sensible allowance on clear roads. I have done from where I live to Scheffau in 55 minutes but that was exceptional (and doing 180 - 200 km/h) normally an hour to 1.15 hours with a clear road. The airport is 15 - 20 minutes on the motorway from me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, take the back roads, can always go to the erding therm if early
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy