Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Wax & Edge resulting in turn issues

Poster: A snowHead
Had my skies waxed and edged before a recent trip. On the first day really struggled to engage the turn. Staying in the chalet was an ex ski instructor and he looked at my skies and told me the wax had been left on the edges and the edges sharpened right to the tip and tail. He removed the wax from the edges and used carborundum paper to take off the edge sharpness about 6 inches from both the top and bottom of the ski. The day after I was back to normal. Before I engage with the ski shop who did the service is his analysis correct and the route cause of me being unable turn?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@martindcrowe@hotmail.co.u, I don’t think his analysis is correct, but I do think you have a case to take to the shop.

Sounds more like they left a hanging burr on the edges, which is hideous to try and ski on. Just means they disn’t finish the job. Or the machine had a fault.

The wax is a red herring.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds unlikely. I wouldn't imagine that wax would last a day on your edges. Also, I would have thought that edges should be equally sharp along the full length and struggling to initiate the turn wouldn't be as a result of the edge being too sharp.

What were the skis doing or not doing and how was it different to 'normal'? Also, I am assuming that these are piste skis with a standard profile rather than off-piste or park skis....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excess wax I doubt would have survived the first run, yes detuning the tips and tails would help but as @under a new name says sounds more like a burr. Why it is worth getting them done by a decent tuner rather than a random machine job in a ski shop.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Klamm Franzer, in the old days, if you were prone to “catching an edge” it was common to “detune” the tips and tails. It’s not necessary with modern, more shaped, skis.

And I think you are quite right re the wax.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to snowheads Martin snowHead

I had similar situation to you this year and it was a hanging burr.

What I experienced on the first day was; At the start of the day the pistes had a coating of snow from overnight and when I would try and turn it just didn't feel right. My turns weren't predictable and always felt off and it was more so on one side than the other. All the time I just felt uncomfortable. Fast forward to mid afternoon and we happened to be heading back into town and across the bunny slope that had been compressed to an inch of its life....OMG....if my left ski touched the hardpack it was off, if I tried to turn right it was really scary. Fortunately we were close the hotel, so I bailed and went back to look at edges. I'd left a hanging burr on, I could catch it with my finger nail all along the ski and one ski was worse than the other. I had my tools with me, worked along the edges and carefully removed the burr with the gummy stone and then went back out onto same run. Excellent and no issues at all. I do sharpen tip to tail on my edges and don't detune them but that's me, never sure if its right or wrong I just follow The Piste Office guide.

So, if that sounds like your experience then my money is on a dodgy tune, I know mine was. However, since I do my own skis it was totally my own fault. I remember doing the edges quickly when I got back from the previous holiday but I don't remember finishing them off. Doh! Just have to spend more time on it next time Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davkt, while a random shop might be a problem, a machine isn’t necessarily. Bro-in-law’s shop does a very excellent machine tune.

But a mis-aligned setting meant a truly hideous couple of runs one day last season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, forgot to add context about 3" of fresh snow. I've being ski-ing for 10 years (twice a year) and it felt like I was a beginner, in fact it was a sensation I've never experienced before. It was worse when trying to engage the left turn, rather than turning kept going straight on and into the trees! It did get a little better as the day went on but by 3 o'clock I had had enough.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@martindcrowe@hotmail.co.u, I feel for you. Last year in St Anton, my wife had the same issue, only she was convinced she lost the ability to ski. The skis were uncontrollable and erratic.

In the end, she asked if we could hire some “easier” skis to get her ski legs back. We went into the ski shop, and it was then that I remembered what a bad tune could do. Asked Roland to havd a look; his response: “Unskiable!”. A good tune later and all was happiness.

The point was that I had the skis done in a shop in Melbourne that gets really positive reviews. It never occurred to me that they could have screwed up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have had unskiable skis after tuning a few times, once a shop left a hanging burr, once I left a hanging burr (got a lot of stick off the Mrs for that). These were easily fixed with a gummi. Third one was fat off piste skis at UCPA, they had ground the bases but not redone the base angles, leaving 0 degree base angle, on fat skis that was atrociously snatchy on piste.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had that before from a bad tune, it felt like my skis were trying to kill me! Had them re-serviced and they were fine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@davkt, while a random shop might be a problem, a machine isn’t necessarily. Bro-in-law’s shop does a very excellent machine tune.

But a mis-aligned setting meant a truly hideous couple of runs one day last season.

Agreed but a badly set up and maintained machine will be
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bad machine no worse, @davkt, than a spotty kid workng for drinkng money with no training...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Bad machine no worse, @davkt, than a spotty kid workng for drinkng money with no training...

Agreed on that too, though bad machine and spotty kid could be why I pottered over to the Piste Office for a bit of a training course a while back and do my own now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now is a great time to learn to do them yourself. Very Happy
snow report
often it is the monkey holding the wrench which is the problem
snow conditions
Is the other test for finding a hanging burr.... using a tissue run lightly down the edge ?

Besides using ones finger nail does any other method work on other peoples skis or boards is what Im asking .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy