Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Board for Whistler 2020?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

I realise this is a very open question with a lot of variables.
I would say i'm a very comfortable intermediate (black runs but mainly sticks to reds and blues) who is just starting some off piste stuff(and very much enjoying it). I currently have a burton custom that has served me well for the past 3 years.

I am planning a trip to Whistler next year and basically want a present for me. Based on me taking the custom and the new board, what additional board would you recommend for a week in Whistler?

5,6 and 155lbs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rossignol XV or XV sushi
Jones Mountain Twin
Yes Basic Decade
Lib Tech Terrain Wrecker

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 6-02-19 18:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for the jones mountain twin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
as a do it all board gnu riders choice was my favourite board at the board test week i did last april

if you want something specifically for powder, k2 coolbean
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got a MT and a Rossi XV. Pretty different boards, but both great in different ways. The XV is definitely better in powder, although the MT is still good. Think I prefer the MT as a daily driver for just cruising around. The XV is super fast, carves great, but maybe not the best for lazy riding. Guess it depends what you're looking for.

I've also go a hovercraft, which is a fantastic ride when it's deep, but still good fun on the groomers. Wouldn't have it as my only board, but as part of a quiver, for it's intended use, IMO it's hard to beat.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was going to suggest a hovercraft or other powder board.

I'm selling a hovercraft, but it's probably a bit big for you........
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd buck the trend and say not the Jones MT. Look at the Explorer or the Flagship if you're not planning on doing any freestyle type stuff and want a piste and powder charger.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I learned to snowboard in late '98 in Whistler. Due to the layout of the mountains and the level at which you are riding I would just take your existing board and enjoy the riding. Don't worry to much about the individuality of this board vs that. It won't make any difference until you are pushing the limits in one direction (Piste, Powder, Steeps, park etc) or another.
Being fit enough to ride all day without getting tired/worn out would make a much bigger difference for a week in Whistler, or any other large area.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What he said.

Spend it on tuition or beer, or rent multiple boards when you're there to work out what you want and why.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys, have to say I'm pretty tempted by a powder specific board even though my chances to use it will be limited.
the Rossi XV looks great and i've briefly had a go on a cool bean and loved it.
Will check out the sales but good to know that my current setup is fine. It's alot of beer money!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Burton custom should be fine for the job. I did my season in whistler on something not dissimilar. If there's a big powder day you might want something a bit more specific, but wouldn't invest in a powder board unless you have lots more trips planned to n-america or Japan where there is good chance of powder. You can just rent a powder board in whistler if required. Lessons would probably be a better investment and are a great way to get orientated to the huge ski area.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wait until you are out there. Pop down to the Prior factory and buy one of their ex demo/ blems.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are here at the moment riding Arbor rockers. Last year when we were here we had a massive dump of snow and the rockers (Wife - Swoon, Me Wastleland) were awesome. We are in Whistler right now and the snow is tracked out and none forecast but the boards are still going well in these conditions.

Our luggage was delayed by a day and found out you can rent the latest boards at the top of Blackcombe for $20 which is pretty sweet if you just wanted a powder board for 1 or 2 days without the hassle of bringing it all the way.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the finest tradition of recommending what you ride, I'm going to say have a look at the yes pick your line.
It rips on the piste and if you set it back a bolt set floats amazingly in deep pow.
snow conditions
Thanks all, Any idea what prices are like in resort? I would have thought that buying in resort was just asking to spend more than elsehere? Liking the idea of a couple of rental days though to try some out.
latest report
As others have said, you've got a nice all-mountain board in the custom. I'd match it up with something freeride specific - probably not powder specific though.

One thing to do depending on the age of your custom might be to go Burton on the freeride board again. I'm guessing the Custom has EST bindings - another EST board would give you the option of swapping bindings rather than having to buy another pair. More faff, but cheaper and less to travel with.

Flight Attendant, Landlord, Dump Truck would all come into play if you liked that idea.

Lastly, your Custom is probably nicely sized for all-mountain riding. That means you can ride this free-ride board as long as is sensible.
latest report
AdamNotts wrote:
As others have said, you've got a nice all-mountain board in the custom. I'd match it up with something freeride specific - probably not powder specific though.

One thing to do depending on the age of your custom might be to go Burton on the freeride board again. I'm guessing the Custom has EST bindings - another EST board would give you the option of swapping bindings rather than having to buy another pair. More faff, but cheaper and less to travel with.

Flight Attendant, Landlord, Dump Truck would all come into play if you liked that idea.

Lastly, your Custom is probably nicely sized for all-mountain riding. That means you can ride this free-ride board as long as is sensible.

Would a Jones Mind Expander fit that bill? Or more along the Rossignol XV line?
ski holidays
Also, I've got 2011 Malavitas on it so fancy an upgrade, the toe ratchet keeps slipping a bit.
snow report
Thinking about this and seeing it's Whistler you're going to, you will have plenty of tree lines to try. So you might want to consider going for something short to give you maneuverability, and with a big directional shape, possibly a fishtail or big rocker, to give you float.
ski holidays
Like a hovercraft...........
snow report
I own an older (2004 Camber) Custom, you should be fine, if it dumps and you get powder days just set your bindings back. You could spend your board money on a Cat day or Heli day... even hire a Powder Board. I wouldn't suggest you need a board for a specific resort, Whistler or otherwise.

However my missus has a mountain bike t-shirt that says "x = n +1"

x is bikes
n is need

same applies to boards...

I also own:
A Jones Mountain Twin - very good board - I keep this for spring slush days as it shorter and rides itself, great for lazy days
A Jones Ultra Twin - Amazing board, my go to everyday all conditions all mountain board. I could, in all honesty take only this board
A Jones Hovercraft - Great for powder but can rock on piste, groomers and ice crust for the journey's in between the good stuff.

What I would I would suggest however is depending on what time in the season you go, if you're set on buying a new board, buy out there. Its way cheaper (almost $ to £ price, perhaps saving £150) and you have way more choice than over here. Yes you can order what you want online over here but being physically able to hold, flex, lift and size up the boards in person is great compared to internet shopping. Potentially have a look in the shops in Vancouver if you've got some time there before heading to Whistler (nearly all of them on the same Street, West 4th Street). The only caveat is if its late season; March onward boards or more specifically popular sizes sell out.

Another option is both Whistler and Blackcombe have testing station at the top, go try some boards and see what works for you.

I tested a Hovercraft in March 2018 (Cost me 20$), loved it and decided to buy. I couldn't find the size I wanted so I came home and picked one up in the sale over here. A friend tested a Burton Deep Thinker and decided to buy so he got the test fee off the price at the bottom of the hill. He loved it in powder but struggles on the piste

Whilster can be a bit wet so even the powder can be a bit mash potato like after a day. The trees are tight but there are some gladed runs that are unpisted so trees a bit more spaced.
ski holidays
Quote:

Being fit enough to ride all day without getting tired/worn out would make a much bigger difference for a week in Whistler, or any other large area.

+1 for this...

start squatting now for a 2020 trip!
snow report
jjbaobab wrote:
Also, I've got 2011 Malavitas on it so fancy an upgrade, the toe ratchet keeps slipping a bit.

Not sure you'll notice an insane amount of difference between different seasons bindings. If the toe ratchet is slipping, replace it and the ladder.

Mind expander and xv look like two very different takes on freeride boards. Not ridden either, but 10/10 stiffness on the xv isn't too be taken lightly, while the Jones looks a lot more playful.
snow report
I guess you may as well get something very different from your current board. In a similar position to you I ended up with a hovercraft - of course it's great in deep snow, but will also do a very nice job on a piste too. Other boards will offer a similar experience of course.
latest report
I don't think the XV is that stiff TBH. Stiffer in the nose than the tail, which is fairly flexy. I'm 95KG on a 168w and flexing it fine. Doesn't feel like a 168. The stiff nose smashes through choppy snow. Have ridden a mind expander, prefer the hovercraft - which is a great ride IMO.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy