Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How not to land at Courchevel Altiport!

Poster: A snowHead
This aircraft landed at Courchevel Altiport today but seemed to run out of runway......
https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2019/02/08/plane-in-difficulty-at-courchevel-altiport-today/?fbclid=IwAR2Eic1uHJuFNRGs5Y1QOdGWkun1NeXusnQG7QhGZYsog4j6bg5COEMSluY
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alastair Pink, I think the last comment pretty much covers it.

Were all onboard okay?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I don't know for sure, but looking at the relatively slow speed the aircraft hit the bank of snow and assuming pilot and passengers were wearing seatbelts I would have thought any injuries would have been minor?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I dunno, doesn't look that slow to me and a plane that size doesn't exactly have a crumple zone. I wouldn't be too shocked to find out that there were some broken bones.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Naaah soft landing! It’s Courchevel - they were probably high on Dom Perignon and Coke
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It'll buff out. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Powderhounds Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I giggled. Nice big white crumple zone at the end. Shook up but fine.
What are the options at Courchevel if one lands too far up the runway? Is a go around possible?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I giggled. Nice big white crumple zone at the end. Shook up but fine.
What are the options at Courchevel if one lands too far up the runway? Is a go around possible?
AFAIK go around is impossible. You only get one shot at it!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=221641
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My instructor, the inimitable Cliff, used to bollock me for always landing on the piano keys: "Great, now we have to taxi a mile and a half!" This guy could learn (not much) from me! More seriously, there is a stubborn group of pilots who think, "I'll hold a few extra knots on the approach..." for good luck. Then they go to Courch. The numbers are in the book for a reason.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Few years back we were skiing in Courchevel with some UK Military folk one of whom reckoned he could get 'his' Hercules in and out of there - the rest of the group were quite sceptical... The Apache crews just laughed Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you can get a c-130 onto a carrier, you can get one into Courch!

http://youtube.com/v/ar-poc38C84

CG
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The C-130 can land at it's maximum landing weight on a 427m long level runway with nil wind. Since Courchevel is 537m long with a significant slope, so I reckon it would be possible. (FWIW in the simulator at work I've managed a perfectly acceptable touch and go on an aircraft carrier in a B737 - with a 60kt headwind! Laughing Long times working in the sim while pregnant meant I got bored with the same old, same old.) I'm not sure I would want to try and land anything bigger than a small light aircraft at Courchevel though. In fact, I think I'd prefer to get up the mountain by other methods not involving aviation. I suspect that bump into a snow bank would have hurt quite a lot - it you hit a bank of snow in a small car at 20mph you'd know about it. CharlieGolf - nothing wrong with landing on the piano keys every time. I've had decades of it being drilled into me that it's the best place to land. It was a long way from the piano keys to the clubhouse at Kemble in a C150 though one time!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's the first time I've seen a plane go off piste. Laughing
latest report
Tyrolean used to fly a 4 engine Dash-7 into there routinely. Max weight of 20 tonnes.
snow report
According to reports elsewhere, the injuries were minor. I suspect whiplash will be prominent as the seats in those are generally don't have headrests. The aircraft itself is less than a year old so quite valuable. Can't it being able to be repaired on-site so will probably have to be disassembled and trucked out. From the video it appears the pilot switched off the engine when he realised he was going to stop so there is unlikely to have been any shockloading associated with a sudden prop stop.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy