Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What all mountain ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I’m new to this forum & looking for some advice about the purchase of new skis & bindings. I ski to a pretty decent standerd, looking to ride piste & off piste about 50/50, 1770m tall & 83kg. I’ve got about £350 to spend on skis & bindings. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads but at 1770m tall you don't need skis!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pushing your budget a bit, but these are great.

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/atomic-vantage-97-blue-red-19-marker-griffon-13-id-black-19-p-M00049977.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Vantage is great, but do get another binding than the Marker! Hard to get into!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jimmycolumbia, http://www.ekosport.co.uk/salomon-qst-99-18-tyrolia-attack-11-gw-w-o-brake-19-p-M00057388.html

sorted Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow 432 quid for a pair of skis ! Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crikey, someone buy those QST99s so I don't have to
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DanishRider, que? Griffons dead easy to get into.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ekosport really good prices.

I looked at QST but went for XDR 80's
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe Griffons - the rest og the series get complaints from everybody in the family - especially when trying to click in when in deep snow. I switched to Salomon for that reason:-)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The S C GB do very good reviews on all categories of skis each year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am very skeptical of ski reviews.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
I am very skeptical of SCGB.

FIFY

Atomic vantage 90 cti, did try some vokl mantras but the Atomics are much better
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The CTI 90 is OFF the market - the new is called “width” TI Happy Last years CTI was horrible, so i am sticking to my 15/16 version Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jimmycolumbia, Ohh man. 50/50 piste / off piste? Well for that you need 2 pairs of skis, you'll need a pair of Stockli Laser FIS SL (165, 12.7R) for your piste cruising days, and a pair of Line Pescado's (180, 125) for the second you go off the piste. Sorry, but thats just how it is, I don't make the rules.
snow report
coddlesangers wrote:
@Jimmycolumbia, Ohh man. 50/50 piste / off piste? Well for that you need 2 pairs of skis, you'll need a pair of Stockli Laser FIS SL (165, 12.7R) for your piste cruising days, and a pair of Line Pescado's (180, 125) for the second you go off the piste. Sorry, but thats just how it is, I don't make the rules.

Trouble is most people want all mountain skis because they don't have piste days and off piste days.... they do a bit of each on many days.
snow report
Jimmycolumbia wrote:
Hi all. I’m new to this forum & looking for some advice about the purchase of new skis & bindings. I ski to a pretty decent standerd, looking to ride piste & off piste about 50/50, 1770m tall & 83kg. I’ve got about £350 to spend on skis & bindings. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

What skis have you used previously/like/have hired?
snow conditions
coddlesangers wrote:

Well, if budget is not an issue, then simply buy the Stöckli Stormrider 95. It will do it all. Sorted!
snow report
Dabber wrote:
@Jimmycolumbia, http://www.ekosport.co.uk/salomon-qst-99-18-tyrolia-attack-11-gw-w-o-brake-19-p-M00057388.html

sorted Happy

Must resist Confused
latest report
@WASHOUT, perfect whistler ski Toofy Grin but you'll have to have the shift on them for a nice walk out in march
snow conditions
I am 180 cm and 86 kilos... I like "stiff" all-mountain skis that you can rely on in hard pack on piste ou in the couloirs, in crud and at high speed.

I have tested most of the skis in this segment, often with the Proskilab professional testers.

My favorite skis, as of today, are :

Mantra (I prefer the old M3 version which is the best in my opinion but the new one M5 is very good)
Stormrider 95
Kore 93
The new 2020 FX 96 HP (just demoed 15 days ago, great ski, more efficient than playful)

If you are looking for a deal : https://www.gearscore.co.uk/all-mountain-skis/special-offers/

The 2018 Mantras are at 339 GBP wich is a deal in my opinion...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 5-02-19 17:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Jimmycolumbia wrote:

Easily done but this time of year you are looking at pre-owned to get within that budget for a decent ski. Come April/May time and 50% off sales you might get new.
latest report
Nordica enforcer 93 maybe ?
snow report
Bad link sorry

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 9-02-19 0:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Black Crows Camox for me. Great allrounder...go anywhere ski!
snow conditions
If your budget will stretch a bit you could do worse than these https://www.whitedotskis.com/collections/factoryoutlet/products/zero-one18 or just have a browse though https://www.whitedotskis.com/collections/factoryoutlet
ski holidays
delboy1164 wrote:
Black Crows Camox for me. Great allrounder...go anywhere ski!

2nd this! Do everything will for me. Stiff, fast, reasonable float. Size up for powder or down for tight stuff. My 186s cope well with everything from bumps to trees and powder. Very impressed.
snow report
Layne wrote:

Trouble is most people want all mountain skis because they don't have piste days and off piste days.... they do a bit of each on many days.

The obvious answer is a ski caddy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colw wrote:
Atomic vantage 90 cti, did try some vokl mantras but the Atomics are much better
I have 3 year old model and it’s a great ski
latest report
proskilab wrote:
I am 180 cm and 86 kilos... I like "stiff" all-mountain skis that you can rely on in hard pack on piste ou in the couloirs, in crud and at high speed.

I have tested most of the skis in this segment, often with the Proskilab professional testers.

My favorite skis, as of today, are :

Mantra (I prefer the old M3 version which is the best in my opinion but the new one M5 is very good)
Stormrider 95
Kore 93
The new 2020 FX 96 HP (just demoed 15 days ago, great ski, more efficient than playful)

If you are looking for a deal : https://www.gearscore.co.uk/all-mountain-skis/special-offers/

The 2018 Mantras are at 339 GBP wich is a deal in my opinion...

I have both the M3 & M5 Mantras (and am liking the M5's much, much more each time I ski them) but don't like the M4 in the special offers above - definitely demo some skis! My (admittedly biased after skiing the M3's for 10 years) opinion after a morning demo last year was that the Atomics were less stiff (flex & torsion) and didn't respond so well to being skied aggressively. Everyone skis differently however and it all depends upon experience, style of skiing and what you prefer!
snow report
Jimmycolumbia wrote:

How about Volkl Kendo's with a pair of Marker Griffons in the sale if you can wait?

I have Kanjo's which are more intermediate and they have taken me from beginner to carving blues (badly I'm sure) in just over 2 weeks. The Griffons have been brilliant even in crazy amounts of fresh snow. Never had a problem getting in or out of them.

I reckon the above would be doable for £350 or a touch more, if you timed the purchase right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy