Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gillets Jaunes in / towards the Tarentaise?

Poster: A snowHead
Will be heading to the Tarentaise some time this week and wondering what the situation is with the Gites Jaunes protests? Are they happening randomly at any time of the week, or have they settled on weekend protests? What's the situation with fuel? Plentiful supplies or are garages running out of diesel?

Would appreciate reports from those in the area.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 8-12-18 12:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what about petrol as well?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are reports on the Valley Echo Facebook page of Gilets Jaunes holding up traffic on the dual carriageway through Albertville and diesel shortages in Moutiers, this morning. Had no problems driving down yesterday and only saw Gilets Jaunes waving traffic through the open barriers at the Albertville toll. Will let you know if I hear more.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 8-12-18 13:58; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, I was out in cham last week and it seems to be very much a weekend phenomenon. I didn't see any issues with fuel but I only filled up a couple of times. I guess it's worth not letting your tank get too low just in case.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think I'd like a holiday rental on a main road, let alone a yellow one. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, @andy1234, the Super U in Bourg St Maurice had diesel this morning. Looked like petrol was available as well.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 8-12-18 11:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hurtle, beat me to it Gillets Jaunes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anderoo wrote:
@Hurtle, beat me to it Gillets Jaunes

???

can't see that causing much of a problem? Is it a whole lorry load?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, @anderoo, I'm going to blame autocorrect. Yup, that's what I'm going to do. Can't possible have been my appallingly poor French capabilities.

Thanks for the reports from the local area.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gilet only has one l wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx, I decided to let that one go, having probably made enough helpful comments this morning. And davidof's photo makes the same point (sort of). wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
certainly passed some stopping traffic in the opposite direction on the way from Tignes to Geneva this morning.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I "write for meaning" not accuracy wink
snow report
@rob@rar, Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
I "write for meaning" not accuracy wink
Laughing
ski holidays
@rob@rar, saw plenty at the major route intersections around Annecy, Albertville and Moutier. Queues were not substantial, maybe adding only 20 minutes to the overall journey from Geneva.
They seemed a jovial enough bunch; a little toot of your horn will certainly ingratiate yourself with them. Quite a lot of drivers are showing support also by displaying there gilets on the cars dashboard.
Nick
snow report
@big_ben, much obliged.

Anyone know if this is more likely a weekend protest, or can they happen at any time of the week? I'm likely driving to Les Arcs on a weekday, probably Thursday or Friday this week.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I think it's more of a weekend thing. Much less disruption on the way up to Chamonix this morning. They had taken over tha peages as usual - annoyingly we have a thing so it's not even free for us, so no compensation! - but no hold up at the flyover.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@rob@rar, I think it's more of a weekend thing. Much less disruption on the way up to Chamonix this morning. They had taken over tha peages as usual - annoyingly we have a thing so it's not even free for us, so no compensation! - but no hold up at the flyover.
Never look a gift horse in the mouth, so what do I need to shield my doofer if I'm waived through the toll gates by my yellow gilleted friends?
snow report
Drove down to Meribel on Wednesday. No issues. At Albertville the GJ had ripped the barriers off the peage and waved us through for free. There was no fuel at the Salins Total on Wednesday night but had been restocked by Thursday afternoon. No issue with fuel at Super U.
ski holidays
@snowrider, thanks.
snow report
@rob@rar, I think if you put it in the bag it arrived in it won't register if you still have it... Or an RFID proof bag.
latest report
@rob@rar, I just stuck my doofer under my rear end as I only had seconds to the peage when the GJ shouted at me (in English) to take it out. It did not register!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@rob@rar, I just stuck my doofer under my rear end as I only had seconds to the peage when the GJ shouted at me (in English) to take it out. It did not register!
Ah, but does your rear end have special anti-RF powers from all those years zooming through the sky? Laughing

What happens if you enter a peage section with your doofer, but fail to exit that peage section by correctly going through a doofer-enabled barrier?
snow report
@rob@rar, Very Happy I'm still waiting for the final bill but on my 'trajets non facturé' I am €32 light on last year. I only missed the peage at the junction near Lyon where you bear off towards the airport, so just the exit one on the very long southerly leg. So it would appear, so far, that they are not allowed to interpolate.

As to you original question Le Dauphiné has an interactive map of what is happening, it all appears random ,but I am sure it is orchestrated. For instance today they blocked an entrance to a Hyper U and Lidl Puzzled
ski holidays
I took the Toll road from GVA to Meribel yesterday and they had all the lanes blocked bar one or two at each toll and had kindly destroyed the barriers so no one had to pay the toll to get through. So a free trip for me with very little if any delays. The police just watched...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gave the lads at Thonon a beep! Anyone sacrificing their Saturday night to wave a flag gets bonus points from me
snow report
Whilst it’s a different part of France, I’ve had mixed experiences with them this weekend in and around Piotiers and La Rochelle.

Blocking lanes on major roundabouts and stopping cars causing major hold ups. Got shouted at by one of them when I was forced to stop. I said in my best pigeon French that I was English and spoke little Francias at which point he spat at the car and swore at me. Not ideal, especially when on the way to the hospital to see a relative.

On the flip side, they had opened/broke all the tolls we had to go through so didn’t have to pay a bean. And had covered up nearly every speed camera I saw, but I believe this was partly down to the disagreement of the new 80km speed limit in some places?

So silver lining and all that....
snow report
Gilet Jaune protesters are expected to be out in force on Saturday https://www.bensbus.co.uk/category/blog/?fbclid=IwAR28iEN_ytlDtAr14mSPSslG6cBw7CVKrne2o4oDbasZjgTpJBIeea54WSw
snow conditions
Drove Calais-Les Arcs today, not one Yellow Gilleted protester in sight. All tolls operating as normal.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, bad luck eh? Toofy Grin
latest report
Tubaski wrote:
@rob@rar, bad luck eh? Toofy Grin
Yeah, what can you do? When you want a French protestor you simply can't get one!
latest report
We did the Calais->Tignes trip last Saturday (8th). The Reims A26/A4 toll was unaffected. The motorway signs advised of "manifestations" at most of the junctions between Dijon and Lyon, but these didn't spill over onto the motorway so progress wasn't affected. The only delay was where the A42 meets the A432 north east of Lyon. The motorway into Lyon was blocked so it took around 20 minutes for us to get off the A42 onto the A432.

Apart from that that no hold ups; they had taken over the payage booths at both Chambery and Albertville, but we just got waived through no aggro or real delay. Traffic was very light though.
snow report
Tolls have been free-of-charge around Albertville the past couple days.
snow report
No sign of any disruption this evening, all Tolls being charged ...
snow report
They have also taped over the speed camera coming out of Cham, the one thats set to catch you just above 70kph.

Happy days
snow report
The autoroute companies are attempting to identify drivers who used toll roads via their ANPR system in order to charge drivers.

Now I don't know if they are really capable of doing this but they are asking people to pay any tolls they missed before they receive a demand.

They claim to have access to the European driver's database and if you've ever used your autoroute badge they have your number plate.
ski holidays
The ANPR on the toll booths can be a bit shonky.
I once got a €3.20 bill plus admin fee of €20 for using an autoroute in Lyon while my car was parked in Yvoire ( 200KM away).
I sent them a letter saying my car was elsewhere, and I could prove it.
They cancelled my bill and admin fee without asking for any evidence.
So it demonstrates that they are not 100% sure of their ANPR, and also why would someone try and dodge a €3.20 toll?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy