Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich Airport train query

Poster: A snowHead
Going to be booking a flight soon to Zurich Airport with ski carriage - One of the flights I was looking with BA at lands at 1710 and the last cheap ticket train leaves at 1818. Having never been to Zurich before - would this be enough time to get this train?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes easy. Station is pretty much in / under terminal building
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Should be fine. Zurich is a relatively lovely airport and easy to navigate
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks - Flight booked - just got to book the cheap train now!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Book the train if you trust the flight to be on time. Had a v poor experience of Swiss (in) efficiency in September at Zurich airport where machine would not sell me a ticket to Bregenz and the queue to buy a ticket at the grossly understaffed counter was horrendous and we nearly missed our train (oh, it was late.....).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just download the SBB app and buy/ store your tickets on there
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Following on from the above.....for the return journey on 27/02, I am booked on 2055 BA flight out of Zurich to LHR and have booked the 1657 train from St Anton to Zurich airport that arrives in Zurich airport at 1942. I will possibly have my own skis to check in or if I decide to hire then will check in a case instead.
Is this cutting it too fine? There is no room for any delay either.
The alternative is the 1457 train but that reduces my last day skiing time. Also the fare for the earlier train has now gone up too! Is it any cheaper to pay at the station on the day than online in advance?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IMO a 19.42 arrival for a 20.55 flight is pretty squeaky. Seat reservations are mandatory on the Railjet, so you really should book in advance or you might not get on at all. Make no mistake - the Railjet is a really busy service.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Almost certainly cheaper to book online beforehand, though there is a suggestion that tickets to Innsbruck are cheaper from the machine in the station than online. As noted above the trains get very busy and booking is strongly advised or pay for first class. That said my experience is that the the trains are very busy until Innsbruck but from there onwards towards Zürich get a lot less busy so you might be OK. You can buy flexible tickets online even combine them with a fixed cheaper ticket for the outbound.

Must say think you are cutting it fine with the train times, the 14:57 still means you can ski until 14:00 or so, you wont miss much skiing (the station is only an easy 10 minute walk from the bottom of the Galzig runs, there are lockers at the station) and no big deal if there is a 20 minute delay, which is hardly a very rare occurrence.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for that. Is what I thought too - just needed a 2nd opinion. I will re book 1457 and discard the 1657 ticket that I currently have. Luckily I bought the cheap ticket for that!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always book a flexible ticket for the outward journey as most of the flights out of London airports seem to be delayed. You won't be able to use the SBB app to but a ticket from Switzerland into Austria (the website will work fine but not the app) but the OBB app will work.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm afraid your cutting it too fine on your outward journey. Your plane might land at 17.10 but you won't get off it for 10 minutes. You've then got to go through passport control, get your luggage, and get a train from the airport to Zurich hbf. You've got to wait for a train that goes to hbf and then that journey takes about 13 minutes. Depending on which platform you arrive at you've then got to get to ground level for the railjet. I do speak from experience having done this journey many times.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It will be close, but is doable if all the pieces fall into place. For many years, we flew SIA into Zurich, notionally landing at 0740 and still making the 0840 train to St Anton.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Switzeeland

Things work

Precisely
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
IMO a 19.42 arrival for a 20.55 flight is pretty squeaky. Seat reservations are mandatory on the Railjet, so you really should book in advance or you might not get on at all. Make no mistake - the Railjet is a really busy service.

Having used the railjet St Anton-Zurich several times over the last few seasons, and having numerous friends, family and guests doing the same, I can safely say that seat reservations are not mandatory. Advisable yes (especially at certain times), but mandatory, no.
ski holidays
Have now booked flexible ticket and seat reservation for 14:57 train.

One more question..... due to "Cartel" style ski hire prices in the area, I am bringing my own skis, boots and helmet. Can I take it there is sufficient room on the train for stowing the gear that will be in a Dakine double roller bag padded out with clothing? I'm sure there is but just want to ask.
snow report
Yes, you should be ok - almost everyone brings their gear.
ski holidays
But you should allow a bit more time as you are arriving in the Schengen Area..

Trains have plenty of luggage space..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy