Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are all examples of a given boot exactly the same size?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In other words, can you buy skis mail order, telling them your boot is a Atomic Type XXX size YYY, you weight Z kg, intermediate level piste skier, and if the ski shop has that size in stock they can adjust the bindings for you, accurately.

One can get skis by mail order for much less than in ski shops, especially last year's models.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Peter Stevens, your boots will have a sole length. That is the measurement needed to adjust your bindings. Or simply do it yourself with a screwdriver.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just tell them the BSL stamped on the sole of the boot, your skier type and weight. You'll need to learn how to adjust the forward pressure (think of it like fine tuning specific to the boot) yourself or pop into a shop to sort it when you have the actual boot with the skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So the boots are different size, even for the same brand and size of boot?

I thought the bottom was a one piece injection moulding.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As @Dave of the Marmottes, posted, the size is normally marked in mm and molded into the boot down near the sole. BSL= boot sole length.

If you give this info to anyone installing the bindings, then they will use a jig for that specific binding, set the length on it to the BSL you've given them, and fix the bindings to the ski on that setup.

When you put your specific boot into those bindings it will need to be checked to make sure that the bindings are adjusted to correctly retain the boot and release as designed to do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Peter Stevens,
Quote:

So the boots are different size, even for the same brand and size of boot?

No. For a given boot, the same size is always the same size. For a different boot (e.g. a touring boot instead of a race boot) the sole length may be different. As long as you give the shop the BSL of your boot they will be able to set up --- but as @ski3, says, will need to be checked before use.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are 2 things to consider in setting up bindings: the boot sole length (as everyone has already said, this will be printed on your boot somewhere, but will vary model to model for the same given M size) and the DIN release settings, which need to be set according to best recommendations worked out by various experts and published in charts, calculated according to your height, weight and skiing ability, not boot size or length.
Online ski shops should be able to set these up properly, but once you get your skis you can post here again with details of what they are and hopefully some kind soul will advise you how to double check that the forward pressure (to do with bsl) and din settings are OK.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Toe height has to be set as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Grizzler, Boot length is taken into account when calculating DIN, it is rather important. I run Din 8, with a boot sole of 284mm, but if my boot sole was 320mm, the table would put me at 7, all other things equal.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m not so sure that DIN 7 vs 8 is really noticeable, esp. as the scales are often somewhat vague. Precision is only important if you really can be precise.

The chart recommends me at 5, I run 8. Sometimes 10.

Ymmv.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@legue, I bow to your knowledge and agree. Never seen it in the charts before, but it's in all the calculators Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought you just guessed your weight in Kg, divided by 10 and that was the correct DIN Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name,
Quote:

The chart recommends me at 5, I run 8. Sometimes 10.

Thing is that most charts have three skier types but some have a fourth category "three +" and that one is for racers / aggressive skiers and basically says "turn it up as high as you like". I exaggerate but if you ski to reasonably high standard the usual 3 skier type chart isn't very helpful. Example here:

http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/bindings/din-calculator.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mosha Marc, that's the heuristic I was told. A very long time ago. I remember pre-DIN bindings... with cables.

@jedster, I always have to sign waivers in the U.S. and Canada for that very reason.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy