Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot flex

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently went to look at boots for the first time. I’m a long time renter and decided boots should be my first investment.

The guy who fitted me said I should be in a 27.5 100 width and a flex of 100+. I asked if I should be looking st 100-120 and he said 100+.

I found some 130 flex boots that I really like, but I want my investment to last. I’m sure at 35 I can use 130s, but will it become too stiff and uncomfortable?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is no benchmark or standards when it comes to flex. For eg I have atomic 120 flex. However, a 120 flex in a delbelo is like a 80 in an atomic.

You should find a reputable boot fitter and listen to their advice. For a boot fitter to simply say you need 100+ flex is poor
Having a boot too stiff will suck balls big time. I recently returned from chamonix where my friend had to have his boots softened by a professional fitter because he took a gamble when he baught them
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jlauf11, there is a big element of personal preference involved, but until you have the experience, it’s difficult to establish a preference! I am not a boot fitter but I am quite geeky, have skied a lot and had 14 or 15 pairs of boots, starting with lace up leather ones.

130 used to be around the top number for a race boot. As a rough guide, I don’t think many grown adults should be on anything marked less than 100. I don’t believe there’s actually that much difference between manufacturers, at least, not at 130, but it’s been ages since we had that argument on here and I’ve forgotten the consensus. A Dalbello 120 is not an Atomic 80, for very sure.

And stiffness doesn’t necessarily correlate with comfort.

While @dave_3 is absolutely correct that you should find a good fitter, I’m not sure you’ll find one in OK. Where do you usually ski?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="under a new name"] A Dalbello 120 is not an Atomic 80, for very sure.

/quote]

I said 80 to exaggerate and make my story sound better Very Happy
However, when I recently tried a delbelo 120 I over flexed them with ease. I tried a 130 with the same outcome. The fitter said "delbelo are simply not for you" Razz.

My point is, Like many people do don't find a flex and manufacturer that suits you then go searching elsewhere thinking the fit and flex with be the same in different boots.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I normally ski at Wolf Creek in Colorado.

This place is the only store/s in the state that carry and “fit” for ski boots.

I do know that I don’t have any desire ski in 65 or 80 flex rental boots again.

Thanks for your help
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dave_3, haha Laughing Laughing

That is, I believe, partially to do with fit and mechanics. So, indeed, Dalbello (which is anyway a slightly unusual design, based off the old Raichle moulds) may very well not be for you. Raichles always had a bit of a reputation for being a bit softer but progressive flexing.

@jlauf11, given that SHs is somewhat EU/UK focused, it may be that local knowledge could better be found on TGR or Epic (or whatever it’s called now if it still exists). Someone might have a much better idea than me. Does no-one in Wolf Creek rent out high end boots?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I assume you "flexed" them in the store at room temperature?? As you probably know they will drastically stiffen up on the snow. Moreso different plastic / different brand will react differently to low temperature. Basically , how ski boot flexes in the store is totally irrelevant to their actual performance on the snow. And if 2 brands feel different in the store it does not mean that they will feel different while skiing

[quote="dave_3"]
under a new name wrote:
A Dalbello 120 is not an Atomic 80, for very sure.

/quote]

I said 80 to exaggerate and make my story sound better Very Happy
However, when I recently tried a delbelo 120 I over flexed them with ease. I tried a 130 with the same outcome. The fitter said "delbelo are simply not for you" Razz.

My point is, Like many people do don't find a flex and manufacturer that suits you then go searching elsewhere thinking the fit and flex with be the same in different boots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, I didn’t realize that this board was from the other side of the Atlantic. You all have been very helpful though. Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I assumed he was talking about "normal" 4 buckle design in both brands: not all Dalbello boots knowdays are build on old Raichles 3 buckle model. That would be normal "apples to apples" comparision. But comparing 3 buckle Kryptons to 4 buckles Atomic is just nuts: they are totally different designs and flex paterns. As you pointed out three buckle design gets stiffness from the tongue and feels progressive, when in 4 buckle models you kind of hit the wall when you flex them.

under a new name wrote:
@dave_3, haha Laughing Laughing

That is, I believe, partially to do with fit and mechanics. So, indeed, Dalbello (which is anyway a slightly unusual design, based off the old Raichle moulds) may very well not be for you. Raichles always had a bit of a reputation for being a bit softer but progressive flexing.

@jlauf11, given that SHs is somewhat EU/UK focused, it may be that local knowledge could better be found on TGR or Epic (or whatever it’s called now if it still exists). Someone might have a much better idea than me. Does no-one in Wolf Creek rent out high end boots?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alex_sauvage, hadn’t noticed that Dalbello were making (classic) 4 buckle race-ish boots again. Not paying enough attention.

Temperature related rigidity also depends on the plastics, some react more than others...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@alex_sauvage, hadn’t noticed that Dalbello were making (classic) 4 buckle race-ish boots again. Not paying enough attention.

Temperature related rigidity also depends on the plastics, some react more than others...

Yes, their Racing and Piste lines are all classic 4 buckles boots
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@alex_sauvage, Happy so I saw when I looked wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy