Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

last minute

Poster: A snowHead
am thinking of trying to get a sneaky week in at the end of the month to get away from the lovely weather we are having here in the uk...... 1 or 2 bed, self catering, france or italy dogs allowed..... am scanning all the usual sites booking.com, sun web, etc etc

i have two long kids with me so need good & accessible nursery slopes etc, somewhere like val' disere would be perfect but clearly nothing cheap there Very Happy

any other ideas?

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The end of this month? Feb? Apparently rule out France as it's school holidays.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ajc2260626, Have a look at La Rosiere, www.larosiere.net the tourist office are very helpful, you could find that the first week of March is a 'white week' ski pass included in your accomodation costs. Masses of snow there just now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yep, this month as its checking it down for the next few weeks Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Lee Shaw, ta, will check it out!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flying/driving?

Finding an apartment should be no biggie.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
driving......2 beds, max €1000 for the week for accommodation, close to slopes, decent nursery slopes, not bothered about how big area is as i wont be skiing much, tignes le lac would be perfect (where i would normally go) but struggling to find anywhere etc
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you won't be skiing much, why pay for a pricy lift pass in a fancy place like Tignes? Can't you find a little resort?

Do you need English speaking classes for the young ones?
and how young, because sometimes lift passes for littleuns are free with an adult.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Orange200, yep absolutely we wont be using tignes area, just the free stuff for the kids.... in le lac they have two lift, magic carpet and a drag thats free and also the little loop round the back

4 & 7 free for 4 year old but he's only on liltle slopes anyway.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ajc2260626, OK so if driving that side is easy enough, you just need an apartment. But.. it's not clear, will the children be ski schooling or not?

How much experience do the kids have. Are they not beyond, magic carpets and short drags?

When our son was 4 we went to Les Menuires, after a couple of days on the magic carpet we started using the cable car and skiing the blue pistes down.

Definitely small resorts work better with young ones and more economical. For example we went to La Norma one time. But some of this might depend on whether they are schooling and/or will be going up on proper lifts....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, im a ski instructor so i will be teaching etc...... if i can find a decent nursery area (val d'sere is a good one for example) then we wouldn't really need a ski pass.... maybe a couple of afternoons for the older one.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flaine? The magic carpets at the bottom are free. Then you can decide to progress them up? Les Carroz has free magic carpets on the bottom nursery slopes at village level but don't know what the snow is like on the slopes as not been for a few weeks (plenty of accomdation to choose from). There is also a magic carpet at the top but you need to use the telecabine to get up there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ajc2260626, You are planning to go over half term so most French ski resorts will be busy (though not as busy as the first wo weeks of half term). As @Layne, suggested the Mauriene valley would offer lots of suitable resorts. As a ski instructor I suspect you know your way around tourist office websites and the like.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, yep i do in terms of the tourist offices, but i have done most of my skiing in espace killy, so am not immediately familiar with other resorts in respect to nursery slopes etc, hence the question for instance in the maurienne i know of valloire and valmeiner but i have skied either so have no idea if suitable for young kids......so i am looking for recommendations of people who have being in the same boat..... do you know any ? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ajc2260626, In addittion to Valmeiner and La Norma have a look at Valfréjus; all are small resorts with a large number of green pistes and afordable accommodation. You will need to buy lift passes, but they are half the price of the big tarrentaise resorts. Accommodation and lift passes should come within your £1000 budget. I have skied Valfréjus and Valmeiner, but it was a long time ago. I recall them as having gentle slopes, but looking at the piste maps quite a lot has changed regarding lifts.
ski holidays
@johnE, cheers will see what's avail.....
snow report
@ajc2260626, well as a ski instructor you will know better than me but I would have thought free carpet and drags would only get you through a couple of days. Especially for a 7yo.

Resorts that I've been to with a magic carpet or free drag don't have much else beyond that without getting a lift pass so very limiting.

As @johnE says smaller resorts have cheaper accommodation and cheaper lift passes.

In La Norma there are a couple of diddy lifts at the bottom, that we didn't use when we were there. And then there are two long connected green pistes that snake along across the mountain and them all the way back the other. Above that there a couple of blues and all across the mountain are cruisy reds that I reckon the children could do on the latter end of the trip.

Lot's of apartments there. Very family orientated.

Piste map: https://piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/France/La-Norma-Piste-Map-2020.pdf
snow report
yep val and tignes are way ahead in terms of the nursery stuff they can offer, one of the lifts can even be used for variables and bumps..... i did a morning in la nourma but cant really remember will check it out
snow conditions
Trip report from La Norma when my kids where 4 and 6 (about to turn 7)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2019798
ski holidays
nice i will have a read!
snow report
I'm sure when we were in Les Carroz there was a whole area for "beginners" that didn't need a lift pass - but didn't pay much attention as we aren't the target audience.
ski holidays
Quote:

smaller resorts have cheaper accommodation and cheaper lift passes

But big or small, French resorts will all have expensive accommodation until the holidays end, at the end of the first week in March. Prices drop quite dramatically for the second week of March. As does the length of the lift queues.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

smaller resorts have cheaper accommodation and cheaper lift passes

But big or small, French resorts will all have expensive accommodation until the holidays end, at the end of the first week in March. Prices drop quite dramatically for the second week of March. As does the length of the lift queues.

As an example of this I just checked an apartment in La Norma (25m2)

29th Feb: 890
7th Mar: 490
14th Mar and onwards: 350

All prices in Euros.

https://www.haute-maurienne-vanoise.com/winter/offers/crozat-marc-et-francoise-chalets-de-la-vanoise-apt-n2103-la-norma-en-winter-2572772/#booking
ski holidays
We've got an 8-person apartment in Valmeiner with 2 bathrooms, proper beds and bedrooms, heated flooring, huge kitchen and living room for £500 - 7th March, about 100m from the pistes. Deffo worth going in March rather than February.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy