Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canadian Powder Chasing

Poster: A snowHead
Will also be keeping an eye on this thread. Looking at 3 options for a trip next season and Red/Rossland and Whitewater/Nelson is one of them....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try heliskiing with CMH in BC - the ultimate powder trip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just to let those who asked know, we've sorted out an itinerary and even got a deposit paid.

28th January. Fly: Heathrow – Spokane (via L.A. - 17 hours) We arrive just before midnight, so stay in an airport hotel.

29th January. Drive: Spokane - Rossland (approx. 2hours 45 mins) We might stop at a resort on the way (49* North) for a warm up day

30th January. Ski: Red Resort

31st January. Cat Ski: Big Red Cats

1st February. Cat Ski: Big Red Cats

2nd February. Drive: Rossland - Nelson (approx. 1 hour 15 mins) Ski: Either ski Red again or at Whitewater near Nelson

3rd February. Ski: Whitewater

4th February. Cat Ski: Valhalla Powdercats

5th February. Cat Ski: Valhalla Powdercats

6th February. Ski: Whitewater - probably hire a guide for slackcountry touring

7th February. Ski: Last ski day, so Whitewater again or stop at Schweitzer on the way to the airport. Drive: Nelson - Spokane (approx. 3 hours). Stay overnight in Spokane near the airport

8th February. Fly: Spokane – Heathrow (via Seattle – 12 hours)

9th February. Fly: Arrive Heathrow

The flights are still coming out, so the cost and (hopefully) outbound flight time may vary.

Cost per head is currently £3,200 but might drop depending on the flights. That price includes flights, "Full Size" SUV rental, hotels and the Cat Ski days. Cat Skiing is actually about 50% of the total cost, and they're already getting booked up for next year so I'm glad we moved quickly.

On top will be: travel to/from Heathrow, ski carriage (I think we can get everybody's skis in one bag), food, drink, lift passes and guide if we use one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mosha Marc, Blimey that's a trip.... Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good trip - think you'll want the second day on Red hill. You should definitely stop at 49 Nth for your warm up day unless you want to bet on jetlag and get up at 6am to get to Red to ski that day. The drive isn't long or interesting enough otherwise to justify a day of your time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Dave
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bit odd. Do none of the car hire companies at Spokane supply snow tyres on their rentals? I can't even book them as an extra.

M+S rated are ok, but I'd much prefer the snow ones as they are WAY better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mosha Marc, neat trip, but I would say no chance on full-on winter tires from a US rental car agency. They might say it, but you're gonna get M+S which is routinely available in snow country. While winter tires are indisputably better in winter, when you think about it, it makes no sense for the rental car companies....too much seasonal swapping of expensive tires that don't last very long. That's not their game. Ideally they never touch the original equipment tires, they just sell the car.

Everyone should care about tires, but only car people and skiers seem to.

You didn't ask this, but you can often reserve a AWD vehicle. Since you recognize and seek the benefit of winter tires, perhaps this is a work-around.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think you'll struggle. BC requires "winter tires" for the mountain passes but anything with M+S on the sidewalls counts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scooter in Seattle, thanks. We've also booked a guide on the 6th now and we're all getting a bit excited about it.

I didn't know that about US renters. In Europe it's either normal to supply them, or they can be added as an extra.

We will go for a big AWD though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got a day's cat skiing booked through Nonstop (though they use a local provider in Fernie, so I'm guessing it may well be FWA). It cost £350 for the day.

Just out of curiosity, how much does a day of heli skiing cost? And how many runs (ballpark figure) might you get on 1 day of cat vs heli?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mosha Marc, How did it go? After our exchange I met a pair of Belgians who had been out with CMH and said it delivered the goods, would have been 6th and 7th.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mrs Val D, a good trip all in all. But it seems like we hit a bit of a dry/warm period.

We used the local Ski Hosts at Red on the 30th. The bloke was a laugh and came out for beers with us afterwards. Showed us through tree runs we wouldn't have found without him; as a result we did get some nice snow.

31st was on the cats at BRC. Us Brits really had a blast, but some of the other customers were a bit put out by the "euro powder" as it was pretty warm. A front passed through overnight which, as you know, gave us rain and not snow!

1st: Cats cancelled to shite conditions. It was drizzling so we sacked the day off and went to a hot spring.

2nd skied Red, 3rd WH2O. On both days the off piste was described by Patrol as "marginal" - read a big fat rain crust with a dusting on top.

4th & 5th were on Valhalla cats. Lower runs in their area were rain affected and crusty, but upper slopes were great fun.

6th Guided day from top of WH2O. Nice tour, very hard for the guide trying to break through the rain crust on some climbs, but still found decent snow.

7th Tired from previous three days out, so took it easy. Resort side country still "marginal"

So all in all; no real new snow all the time we were there, resort side country got worse as the days rolled by but the host, cat and guide scored us some good stuff.

Naturally it was snowing on the day we drove down to Spokane to fly home!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bummer about the conditions. Just put it down as a recci for next years mission. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're going back in 2022. I have a credit note from Big Red Cats and I'm from Yorkshire!
snow report
On the guided day were you touring from top of Cat drop? Did you take the kit? Splitboard or skis?

Sorry for questions, just curious of alternatives if snow is poo-poo.
latest report
@Mosha Marc, sounds like you were at the interior the same period I was at Whistler. Similar weather pattern: rain, frozen crust, dusting of snow that didn't quite bury the rain crust completely. Mostly marginal condition interspersed by occasional good hits.
latest report
@dozofoz, we toured out from the resort. Bought a single ride ticket and went straight out of the ski area at the top of the lift.

We were all on touring skis, but the guide was on a splitboard. At times we bootpacked through the crust to get quick vertical gains.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy