Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest ski holiday ?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone suggest a very very cheap ski week for a family of 5 (3 kids under 6) for complete begginers? Self catering and drive would be fine. A friend is looking for end of March but has a small budget!

Any ideas welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bulgaria.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sainte Foy, (Bulgaria is a fair old drive!). Great free beginners area and and passes are much cheaper than most resorts when the time for a chair comes. Great place for kids. Apartments for 5 seem to be available for about £700.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
take a look at maurianne valley.
If you book through Valloire Tourism office for example https://www.valloire.com/
They have all sorts of offers & discounts on ski passes, hire, lessons, etc. There is also beginner lift passes with access to limited slopes, runs, as well as a 3+3 (limited + full access). Free lift pass if 4 & under.
Lift pass will work out similar to Bulgaria.
Also with a car you have the advantage of filling up on food to keep costs down or even visit the large supermarkets instead of in-resort small markets which are more expensive.
Guess paying for 5 people on a flight + luggage works out a hell of a lot more than driving!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 6-02-19 9:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bansko, Bulgaria.

Flights are as cheap as a drive to the alps when you factor in petrol, Channel crossing, tolls, stop in a hotel, etc, etc. Self catering accommodation is dirt cheap, along with ski pass (small resort but good for a beginner) and ski hire. Eating and drink is also very cheap, think 70p pints and you get the idea. Private instructors, again, are cheap so you could hire one for you whole family lessons.

They only let down would be the apres ski for a family. Good without the kids but it might not have enough facilities away from the slopes for small children.

I suppose with any budget ski holiday, you'll have to compromise on somethings, so you just need to decide what your happy not to have. Coz if you find somewhere that does have it all on a budget, please tell me!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolute cheapest Scotland if there is any snow. Saints Foy is a good suggestion in driveable range, Bulgaria if they can find cheap flights.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did Garmisch in Germany. Drove to overnight party ferry from Hull to Rotterdam. Drove down to Garmisch - about ten hours. Self catering with car full of shopping and cheap booze for the week. I reckon five of us did the whole thing for about £2,500 ish.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://m.ski-planet.com/en/2-room-apartment-cabin-6-people,albiez-montrond_1243.html?NbSemaines=1&DteFrom=2019-03-16&NbNuits=7&checkForfait=1&checkMateriel=1

Apartment for 6 including equipment and lift pass, very near baby slopes - 189 euros each. Only lessons to buy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Sunweb or Snowtrex, some really cheap accommodation and lift pass deals especially to some of the lesser known French resorts, some as low as £149 for accommodation and lift pass for a week.

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/search?DepartureDate[0]=2019-03-30&Participants[0][0]=1988-03-20&Participants[0][1]=1988-03-20&Duration[0]=5-5&sort=Popularity&Allocation=1&nResults=10

https://www.snowtrex.co.uk/?code=4645&utm_content=brand&network=g&device=c&subcode=snowtrex&kwtype=e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqOPAv-6m4AIVYbHtCh3lPQF0EAAYASAAEgJvxvD_BwE
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the Maurienne Valley would probably work out cheaper than Sainte Foy. I would particularly recommend Val Cenis which is very good for beginners. We have done a lot of self drive ski holidays with Peak Retreats who offer a high level of customer service and have a lot of accommodation options on their website. The Eurotunnel flexi plus ticket is included in their accommodation prices.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maurienne is a great option; especially val Cenis- a really good value option is to rent accommodation in campsites- most will have 'chalets'- fully heated! drying rooms etc- the site in Lanslevilliard had a few units in main building- only 300m from the lifts- costs very reasonable- if you've got access to a decent motorhome that's a great option- we manage 2 ski holidays a year using ours- costs c.£35 a night- other than val cenis, lots of French resorts have caravaneige- many with 'chalets' -if the snow is still there look at the Aravis resorts- one site in La clusaz, 2 in Le Grand Bornand, but most resorts big and small have these options
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Can anyone suggest a very very cheap ski week for a family of 5 (3 kids under 6) for complete begginers? Self catering and drive would be fine. A friend is looking for end of March but has a small budget!

Any ideas welcome.

3 kids under 6 is going to be tough. What age is the youngest? I'm guessing they may need a crèche/nanny?

Driving using the ferry would be cheapest and it can be quite handy with young kids to tire them out (there will be a soft play area). If you drive overnight it saves on accommodation and the kids will sleep a fair amount.

Go to a small resort where renting an apartment will be cheaper and so will lift passes. Many resorts give free lift passes to under 6's.

We went to La Norma when our kids were younger and it was as cheap as cheaps. We didn't have ski school or ski hire though. Talking of which, they may be able to beg, borrow, steal lots of gear for a first time holiday.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peak retreats certainly were good. Appartments in Samoens attached to the neige et roc hotel , were very adequate. We went there a couple of times when our children were younger.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you everyone. I will take a look / pass on to friends.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne, youngest is 3 (they were busy) Very Happy
latest report
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@Layne, youngest is 3 (they were busy) Very Happy

Are they Italian or something!

3 is old enough to start skiing - although I believe it can be tricky getting a ski school that takes them so young, that is all I was thinking.
snow conditions
Are any of the resorts mentioned likely to have snow cover (I know i know) from 12th April? They may have to go later than expected.
latest report
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Are any of the resorts mentioned likely to have snow cover (I know i know) from 12th April? They may have to go later than expected.

They would be pushing it - will be the last week of the ski season in many places I believe.

But it will be cheap and quiet!
snow report
Val thorens for 12 April...plenty snow. Three Free carpet lifts and then a cheap beginner lift accessing several blues. We did easter last year for 5 family from Ireland for less than 2500euro...didn't use child care facilities though...taught the kids myself...also there is a fun kids skicross area with tunnel useable on the reduced price beginners pass. Sheep's supermarket in resort is reasonable price.
snow report
You can still do Maurienne 12 April and ski Val Thorens by staying at Orelle.
Won't be as cheap as elsewhere in the Maurienne but probably cheaper than Val Thorens.
snow report
Is Orelle suitable for beginners?

I would suggest looking at Montgenevre for the week of 12th April. It has high north facing slopes with some lovely green beginner runs. The lift pass is discounted by 20% in April as the Italian side would have shut and possibly some of the Montgenevre runs..but there should still be enough for a family of beginners. I think they used to offer free lift passes for under 6s but its some years since my kids were that age so I may not have remembered that correctly. It is easy to drive there using the Frejus tunnel and you can get a discount on the Frejus tunnel if booked in advance.
snow conditions
Look at Rocketski, the accommodation is simple but perfectly adequate and often well.placed for the slopes which is great for small children esp in Montgenevre where you literally cross the road to ski school. You can also get a room with the kids which brings the price down. We've been with them several times, flights transfers etc have all been fine, you won't get luxury but it will be good value
snow report
valloire for that week in april is family week.

I just threw this together to give you an idea
3 bedroom apartment https://en.valloire.com/4-rooms-3-bedrooms-la-maison-d-angeline-angeline-3.html
Ski pass for 2 adults
Kids passes are free
ESF 6 1/2 day group lessons for adults
ESF 6 1/2 day group lessons for kids
ESF 6 1/2 day nursery for toddler
ski rental for adults
ski rental for kids
ski rental for todder (if its needed?)
€1800

snow conditions
snowymum wrote:
Is Orelle suitable for beginners?

Probably not , must admit I read a bit of the thread hurriedly and didn't spot that bit.
latest report
Chamrousse through Sunweb, Snowtrex or Ski Planet. Ecrin des Neige simple accommodation, easy access to lifts/pistes and has a pool.
ski holidays
Quote:

They only let down would be the apres ski for a family. Good without the kids but it might not have enough facilities away from the slopes for small children.

Quote:

I'm guessing they may need a crèche/nanny?

Cheap ski holidays with small kids (and I've done a few) don't involve apres ski, a creche or a nanny. You'll get out more if you take grandma, and she might cook lunch too. wink
snow conditions
Montgenevre are offering cheap lift passes for Adults from 6th April and under 6s cost €36 a week for a lift pass. They have a very good ESF nursery for the youngest one with fully trained staff. Great place for beginners as the nursery slopes come straight into the village.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy