Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passport validity travelling from the UK

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All. Flying to Geneva next Saturday and returning 23/03. My passport expires 19/06 so just under 3 months.
The gov website states "Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required"
World travel guide website states it needs to be valid for the duration of the trip.

My concern is there seems to be some confusion over what is actually correct. Some other travel sites say 3 months from return date etc but think this is for non EU citizens only.

Hoping someone has first hand experience of travelling recently with a similar situation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 10-03-19 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dave the green, I don't understand the confusion. Your passport expires four days before the end of your trip, therefore you should renew it before you leave the UK. That also doesn't take into account any Brexit complexities which may or may not require you to have six months extra validity.

Additionally, afaik there was a recent rule change regarding the validity of passports over ten years old – i.e. those which were renewed early (up to 9 months) will no longer be valid beyond ten years from the start date, so it may already have expired Confused But do check that, the Home Office should supply all relevant info (in theory...).

Edit: return date originally said 23/6, but that’s now been amended and this post makes no sense Confused

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 10-03-19 21:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doh !! Edited to change return date to 23/03
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think it depends on the country you are returning from. When we went to Singapore last January, they required 3 months validity. However for the Oz leg of our trip we were required to have 6 months.

As an EU citizen and travelling to an EU country I can't see why you would need anything more than for your passport to still be valid on your return date even if it is only one day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
@Dave the green,
Additionally, afaik there was a recent rule change regarding the validity of passports over ten years old – i.e. those which were renewed early (up to 9 months) will no longer be valid beyond ten years from the start date, so it may already have expired Confused But do check that, the Home Office should supply all relevant info (in theory...).

Having looked into this, it does not appear to be the case. Unused months will just not be added on to your next new passport. So effectively the validity drops to 9 years and 6 months for a lot of destinations (unless you are not travelling for 6months).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand wrote:
Think it depends on the country you are returning from. When we went to Singapore last January, they required 3 months validity. However for the Oz leg of our trip we were required to have 6 months.

As an EU citizen and travelling to an EU country I can't see why you would need anything more than for your passport to still be valid on your return date even if it is only one day.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the reply.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Brexit complications have just caught us out. Passport expiry date is Jan 2020 yet because my passport was issued April 2009 it won't be valid in April this year if we leave the EU.

Will now only be able to get a last minute deal if I get the passports renewed in time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Government tool for checking your passport.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm returning pre Brexit date so any new rules will not apply.
I'm 99% sure EU citizens only need the passport to be valid for the duration of the visit.

So much conflicting info on the web so think I will call the embassy tomorrow and double check.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alicat wrote:
The Brexit complications have just caught us out. Passport expiry date is Jan 2020 yet because my passport was issued April 2009 it won't be valid in April this year if we leave the EU.

Will now only be able to get a last minute deal if I get the passports renewed in time.

Hope it all works out for you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I dont believe that current passports will not be valid if we leave the EU but the period of required unexpired time on the passport will likely increase. Presently travelling within the EU your passport needs only to be valid for the duration of your trip but if we leave the EU there may increases in the unexpired periods required to visit various other countries.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why are you inselaffem so unducumently dumb?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Current recommendations suggest a UK passport requires 6 month validity for return dates.

If you have Irish grandparents ……………… apply for Eire PP.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Current recommendations suggest a UK passport requires 6 month validity for return dates.

Yes but the part which will catch many out is the government advice

'If you renewed a passport before it expired, up to 9 extra months may have been added to your new passport’s expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months that should be remaining for travel to most countries in Europe.'

Hence my passport actually expires 9 months before the expiry date.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We recently came back from Italy. My sons passport expiry date was one month after our return. We didn’t have any problems.
snow report
Just renewed mine online, took less than two weeks
snow conditions
All this additional expense...so sad
ski holidays
We took our eldest grownup daughter and her boyfriend by car to Livigno a few years ago. It wasn't until we got to passport control at Calais on the way home that anyone noticed that her passport had expired 3 months earlier! They just wound her up a bit in a good natured way and told her to be more careful in future.
snow report
If you travel on business (EG may need a visa in the future) you can get a letter to say so from your company and this will allow you to get two passports with different expiry dates. I have two passports with one year gap between expiry so I never have a time without one.
ski holidays
Is flying to Geneva Switzerland considered EU? (Serious question).
snow conditions
It's Schengen entry point, so yes, in effect.
Although it's not really travelling to EU that needs various requirements, but travelling to Schengen zone. No idea what rules other non-Schengen EU countries have for immigration for non-EU citizens. It's up to them to decide.
snow conditions
@andy, ta. Always thought non Schengen was minimum six months validity.
snow report
All sorted Very Happy The Swiss embassy have confirmed that as a British passport holder, your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of the visit and no additional validity is needed.

This could all change post 29/03 though because if no deal, we will be considered 3rd country citizens and would need 3 months validity and possibly a viza

I can get back to checking the weather forecast now snowHead
ski holidays
You can check for yourself at the UK Gov site

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport?utm_source=digital_display&utm_medium=300x250&utm_campaign=euexit&dclid=CJ-booOq-uACFX0FBgAdD5gEPg

Just put in your passport details, country being visited and it says yes/no to validity.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy