Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Diz Manchet Valley

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, couple of questions about Manchet Valley area of Val D'Isere.

1) The interactive piste map https://en.tignes.net/what-to-see-do/skiing/ski-map shows a restaurant/watering hole skiers left about a third of the way down Arcelle. Previous years we've somehow missed it, and mid Dec this year the Manchet Express wasn't running so that precluded an extensive search for it. Anyone know what it is (mountain hut serving local grog or 5* slap up menu) and how to get to it?

2) The webcam - https://www.valdisere.com/en/webcam/manchet-valley/ - where t'is? I don't recognise it as being the bottom of Manchet Express. There is a piste running along the river. Is it at the Val Diz end of the valley, and the piste is the run-out from Charvet/Stanton (shudders) ?

Just planning an excursion for Half term week

Cheers,
Judwin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1) There is no restaurant down Arcelle. The knife and fork on the piste map may be a refuge/mountain hut that is in the middle of nowhere which is accessed from the back of the Cugnai chairlift.

2) The webcam is in the Manchet Valley, it is probably half way between the bottom of the Manchet Express chairlift and where the Santons piste joins the Manchet Valley.

These are not excursions you would want to contemplate unless you are very experienced off piste skiers or willing to walk out of the valley.

The off piste route from the Cugnai lift avalanched today according to another post on this forum.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a walking route from the bus stop by the Manchet car park up towards the bottom of the Manchet Express lift.

There is a restaurant about halfway between the two. I think there are signs for it at the lift and they may have a buggy to give you a lift back but you would need to check.

There are also some cross country ski loops around that area too. You can pick up a pedestrian, snowshoe and cross country ski map/guide from the tourist office.

As for the Arcelle one, Steve Angus over on the "The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy" would be able to say.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 4-02-19 22:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sno trax wrote:
There are also some cross country ski loops around that area too. You can pick up a pedestrian, snowshoe and cross country ski map/guide from the tourist office.

The cross country ski loop goes past a restaurant about where your knife and fork is. It appeared to me that you could ski down to it from the Arcelle piste as there is some kind of walking track but beware that the Marmottes slopes above are avalanche prone (if the valley is open the slopes are not going to hit the walking trails). I don't remember if I've ever alpine skied down the valley but I've Xcountry skied it on a few occasions. You can start in Val d'Isere center and ski up and down across the pistes.

I seem to recall another restaurant just on the edge of town as well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think there’s now a yurt type place that does food and drink down there, and will tow you back behind a piste brasher / snowcat or similar. You could get to it from arcelle down the valley.
http://www.auboutdumondevaldisere.com/?lang=en
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks,
I'm pretty sure the knife and fork in the cross country/valley area is the "Au Bout Du Monde". Doesn't look accessible except via walking, and we don't do walking. Not paying £300 for a lift pass and then doing all the work myself Very Happy

Google Earth shows a possibility for the one near the top of Arcelles, except it looks like it's really off the back of Cugnai like welshflyer says, and perhaps only open in the summer? Not sure why it's on a winter piste map when refuges like Col de Palet aren't.

Ho hum, thanks all, looks like we'll have to put up with Eidleweiss, Peau de Vache etc Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy