Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sharing lift passes in Les Arcs for parents

Poster: A snowHead
@Lozza1uk, Should definitely check as Serfans-Fiss-Ladis in Austria who are endorsed as a family friendly resort have a Young Family Pass allowing parents to share if they have a child under three.

https://www.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/en/winter/ski-pass-prices/prices-young-family-ticket
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wills_h,until you get caught Follows in both circumstances @aceandy79, it is vehicle excise duty to allow the vehicle to use the public highway, it is a lift pass to allow the person (singular) to use the lift. Stop thinking it is alright for the rest of us to pay for you!
AGAIN I WILL REITERATE IT IS FRAUD, IT IS OUTSIDE THE RULES AND SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED BY ANYONE!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm intrigued by the various people discussing whether it's easy to get away with, rather than the fact that it's just plain wrong/stealing/fraud whatever you want to call it.

It's not whether anyone will notice you picking up the bottle of wine in the supermarket and slipping it into your bag. It's the fact that it's stealing and it's wrong and you've been brought up not to take things that don't belong to you...

.. or maybe you haven't. IN which case I guess having your kids around will make it even easier to keep your thieving ways in the family. Happy

Go for it. Take what you can get and Be Nice please! everyone else. They can support you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It seems to have offended some in here, for my part I apologise. I should point out that sharing lift passes is not something I've done, but just wouldn't necessarily consider it the fraudulent crime others appear to.
If a person has purchased 6 days of lift pass, but is for whatever reason only able to use 3. Is it really so bad to hand the pass over for someone else to use the remaining 3? Is this not simply getting value for money?
Have you never bought a pay and display parking ticket, left before its expiry and handed it to someone else as you drive out? Or benefited from someone else offering you their ticket? Are these people all frauds/thieves?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@aceandy79, yes if it is stated in the t's and c's that it is not permitted as it is with most lift passes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank goodness the lift operators don't run the bars. I imagine it would go like this:

I go to the bar and buy a round of beers. Take them back to my table where my friends are waiting.
Bouncer comes over "Whoa, what are you doing?"
"Er, we're having a beer"
"No those 6 drinks can be consumed by you only. Your friends will have to go to the bar and buy their own drinks".
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris_n wrote:
@aceandy79, yes if it is stated in the t's and c's that it is not permitted as it is with most lift passes.

Indeed. Its pretty simple.

If its not allowed then don't complain of you suffer when you get caught. Otherwise find a resort that allows sharing which some do. Thats the deal you make when you buy under the stated T&C.

I wouldnt do it nor enjoy my holiday if everytime I went through a lift gate I stood a chance of being caught, most likely at the other side of the resort where they confiscate the pass and ban me from buying another!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I WILL RESORT TO SHOUTY BLOCK CAPITALS TO TRY AND REINFORCE MY POINT.
Whenever I see someone do that for some reason I always picture them as Jacob Rees-Mogg. No idea why.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aceandy79 wrote:
Thank goodness the lift operators don't run the bars. I imagine it would go like this:

I go to the bar and buy a round of beers. Take them back to my table where my friends are waiting.
Bouncer comes over "Whoa, what are you doing?"
"Er, we're having a beer"
"No those 6 drinks can be consumed by you only. Your friends will have to go to the bar and buy their own drinks".

Your friends are underage and not allowed to consume those drinks. You are not underage, you are allowed the drinks you bought. Re-run the scenario and you might get it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@aceandy79, everyone who want to enter the bar needs to buy a drink. No sharing of glasses even you only want half a drink. T&C's clearly state glasses cannot be shared (assigned or transferred).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds to me like there is place for a transferable / multi owner lift pass and in fact there would be benefits in many ways :-

Parents of young, non ski-ing, children would be accommodated better, be happy with the resort and be more likely to return.

They might spend the money they save on other activities in the resort, benefiting a wider range of business, outside the lift company /ski school cartel. I think diversity / sustainbility are big buzzwords now ? wink

Attracting families with that make up would take the pressure off the lift system in peak times, allowing the resort to accomodate more people for the same lift system. Even the environment gains Smile

I am sure there is somebody more knowledgeable than me who can build that up a bit Smile

What's not to like ? And maybe it's worth considering that these poor, suffering, lift companies that are being robbed from, might be the same ones that, when the weather is bad / there is a lack of snow, lay off the lifties on zero hour contracts, shut just about everything down except the small draglift on the nursery slope and then refuse to issue even a partial refund to reflect their reduced costs in running a reduced operation. Oh, of course, that's in the T's & C's so it's OK then rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surely it just boils down to the contract between the lift company and the skier/consumer? You purchase the pass you enter a contract? If the pass is just for a specific person then so be it. In this day and age I guess the t&c`s are readily available online, and up in the ticket office.

In the past there was perhaps more of an assumption that a pass was for a certain category, ie for an adult, or for a child and maybe no one cared quite so much who exactly used it, or maybe resorts were just more family friendly when they had to work harder for customers?

As a customer perhaps vote with your purse, and only go to a resort offering a pass with the t&c`s that suit you. If resorts with 'family passes' started to take business away from resorts that did not ........... things might change. But I`m guessing it won`t happen.

Perhaps parents could argue its discriminatory or against their human rights? Laughing And take it court? rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris_n wrote:
Was it ever OK to share one tax disc between 2 cars (when there were tax discs), NO is the answer. You can use all of the same arguments about getting away with it etc but it is just plain wrong!

Bad example.

Here is a better example. Me and my wife hire a car for a week. We want to share the driving but the hire car company wants to charge us both 7 days car hire.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skitow, it exists and Serfaus has clocked onto it who are amazingly family friendly. They are extremely busy during holidays.

https://www.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/en/winter/ski-pass-prices/prices-young-family-ticket
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, Sounds spot on, good luck to them Very Happy
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:
As a customer perhaps vote with your purse, and only go to a resort offering a pass with the t&c`s that suit you. If resorts with 'family passes' started to take business away from resorts that did not ........... things might change. But I`m guessing it won`t happen.

If I had known I was breaking the T&C's and/or had been caught on the two occasions I did it I may have looked to see if there were resorts that allowed me to do it legit. I have certainly taken note of the free pass or reduced pass age for children and chosen accordingly.

I think it's clear from this thread and in previous threads on this subject that a) it's still not common knowledge and b) whether you get pulled is a bit hit and miss.

And I still stand by the opinion that morally I don't regard it as theft/stealing whether it's in the T&C's or not. But I wouldn't go as far as encouraging people to knowingly break the T&C's.
ski holidays
@aroma111, If you restrict yourselves to Les Arcs/Peisey-Vallandry (as opposed to Paradiski), you can get 4 hour passes. But 6 x 4 hours is almost as much as a 6-day pass, so if you stick to alternating mornings and afternoons it isn't worth it. But might be worth considering if one of you is going to ski a lot less than the other. If you want to split the skiing equally, then best combination of cost and flexibility is probably going to be whole-day baby sitting and 6 x 1 day passes (for either Les Arcs or Paradiski).
snow report
@Layne, the point being the tax disc is just for one car same as a lift pass is just for one person. When you hire a car they ask who will be driving and sometimes charge for extra drivers.
ski holidays
Chris_n wrote:
@Layne, the point being the tax disc is just for one car same as a lift pass is just for one person. When you hire a car they ask who will be driving and sometimes charge for extra drivers.

Not sure how it affects taxation / cost but in Switzerland one person can register 2 vehicles, and use the same registration number / plates, provided only one of the vehicles is on the road at once.
Sounds very forward thinking Laughing
snow conditions
Not sure why people are being so shouty. Lift passes are not transferable. Many ski areas have a 'parent pass' which enables parents to share a lift pass. If that's what the OP wants to do, then that should influence choice of ski area, otherwise just buy separate day passes. It's really not so difficult.
ski holidays
@skitow, Sensible thinking....perhaps someone should approach Les Arcs lift pass company and make the suggestion. Very Happy
latest report
@queenie pretty please, It seems to be the person who likes the CAPITAL LETTERS that started the shouting Laughing I think most people would agree with you but it is interesting that some resorts have gone down that road, and appear to find it successful, parent passes / shared passes that is, and others have not, including presumably where the SHOUTY PERSON skis / works Laughing
The bigger elephant in the room is probably off peak lift pass discounts, nowhere really does that big style, (ryanair / easyjet model) but somewhere it will probably happen eventually. Has always seemed strange that accomodation prices can change by a factor of 100%+ between off peak and peak yet lift passes nowhere near so much, if at all. Have to admit most of my experience is with France, so maybe a bit skewed.
ski holidays
lambert wrote:
@skitow, Sensible thinking....perhaps someone should approach Les Arcs lift pass company and make the suggestion. Very Happy

I like to think I do think sensibly Little Angel Never really got me very far though Laughing
latest report
Chris_n wrote:

But a tax disc could be charged per person and be non-transferable couldn't it? But they don't because the vehicle makes use of the infrastructure the tax disc pays for - not the person. Two people can't drive the vehicle at the same time. Just as two people can't use a lift pass at the same time and only person is using the infrastructure at a time. I use a music streaming service that allows streaming from multiple devices but only one device can be in use at any one time. I am not saying that is what lift pass companies are obligated to do but it seems like fair usage to me.
ski holidays
I would not break the rules on the lift pass however frustrating. I would suggest looking into childcare options so that you can spend a bit of time skiing together. I think there is a children's club in Arc 1950.
snow conditions
As a ski pass is a transport ticket I had a quick look on National Rail terms and conditions.

They state for a 7 day pass-

Tickets are not transferable
A Ticket may only be used by the person who bought that Ticket or on
whos behalf that Ticket was bought unless specifically allowed by the
terms and conditions applying to that Ticket. A Ticket may not be
resold to anyone else.

Same regulations
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
Was it ever OK to share one tax disc between 2 cars (when there were tax discs), NO is the answer. You can use all of the same arguments about getting away with it etc but it is just plain wrong!

A better example is a Season Ticket at football clubs. Is it OK to share a season ticket for a football team ? The clubs always put non-transferable on the season ticket, but it is common practice. I wonder if many people here have ever 'borrowed' a friends season ticket when their friend is away ?
snow report
We are running a chalet in Paradiski. If passes were transferable we could just get a bunch of season passes, and use them for every group staying, as the visitors are consecutive. Would be a saving of about 75%, and if everyone did it the ski area would go bust.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RobinS, The point was made earlier that season passes are rightly controlled because they represent a huge discount on the weekly rate. That's why they have a photo associated with them.
latest report
@aceandy79, worth contacting the lift company to ask officially if they have a parents pass and explain your situation? the Les Arcs lift office was very helpful when my wife and daughter couldn't travel and we'd already bought their lift passes online.

ADS - Domaine Skiable des Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry
Chalet des Villards
Arc 1800
73700 BOURG SAINT MAURICE
FRANCE

Tél. : +33(0)4 79 04 24 00
Email : contact.ads@compagniedesalpes.fr
latest report
Having read this correspondance with interest and I must admit amusement I seriously think this forum should not be used as a platform for how to break the law.
ski holidays
eblunt wrote:
Chris_n wrote:

A better example is a Season Ticket at football clubs. Is it OK to share a season ticket for a football team ? The clubs always put non-transferable on the season ticket, but it is common practice. I wonder if many people here have ever 'borrowed' a friends season ticket when their friend is away ?

In recent years season ticket holders at Leicester Tigers can transfer for free. And where a fixture is changed to an evening fixture you can upgrade a junior to an adult for free.
snow conditions
RobinS wrote:
We are running a chalet in Paradiski. If passes were transferable we could just get a bunch of season passes, and use them for every group staying, as the visitors are consecutive. Would be a saving of about 75%, and if everyone did it the ski area would go bust.

Nope. People aren't talking about seasons passes.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Having read this correspondance with interest and I must admit amusement I seriously think this forum should not be used as a platform for how to break the law.

Well, first of all, it had to be established if it was against the law or not. And then it had to be established if it was policed. Until recently there was no checking of concert tickets for example that would strictly speaking non-transferable. And then thirdly is the question of whether it be morally wrong to do so assuming it wasn't policed. All seems legitimate basis for discussion to me.
latest report
Quote:
And I still stand by the opinion that morally I don't regard it as theft/stealing whether it's in the T&C's or not.

How bizarre. Care to elaborate?
latest report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:
And I still stand by the opinion that morally I don't regard it as theft/stealing whether it's in the T&C's or not.

If you've read my comments in this thread it should be clear. If it isn't then I am not sure repeating myself will help.
snow report
@TheGeneralist, Morally, ski lifts should be charged on usage. The current system discriminates against the weaker/sick skiers who are unable to ski from first lift up to last lift down. And also against those with dependants such as children who also can't ski a full day. It is these people , who are physically not capable of skiing a full day, who effectively subsidise the fit people who are up on the first lift.
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:

I`m no lawyer but I struggle to see it as theft? If passes are specific to one person in the tc`s then it could be breach of contract for sure, and possibly fraud but theft? Unless the law in Europe is different to the UK?
ski holidays
@aroma111, It is possible to ask questions on the Les Arcs site https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/contact - which, out of interest, I just did...
My understanding is therefore that you are allowed to do this but only if you buy it when you arrive and not online.

Transcript below

You :
Can you please confirm that if I was to buy only one 6 day pass when I arrive in Les Arcs that my wife and I can share it so that one of skis and the other looks after our infant daughter. Thank you.

Emma :
Hello, the skipass taken online is named specific but not if you take it at the sale point office

You :
Thank you

Emma :
You're welcome. Have a good day !
latest report
@Ray Zorro, Bravo! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy