Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sharing lift passes in Les Arcs for parents

Poster: A snowHead
This thread is why brexit happened
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris_n wrote:
It's fraud pure and simple, if you think that is ok then carry on. The rest of us will share the costs of piste preparation, lift infrastructure, snowmaking etc the same way we carry the costs of other law breakers every day!

Exactly. It’s just like going to a shop and stealing something more expensive than you can really afford.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would this be allowed:

My wife and son go to onto the lift. At the top my son takes my wifes lift pass and bombs down very quickly and hands the pass to me whos goes up, joins the rest of the family who then ski down together.

Or perhaps, even better, my wife goes through the barrier then hands the lift pass over to me to use.

Both are further examples of "sharing" a lift pass
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As far as Im aware, you cant use the same pass in quick succession at a lift.

Scenario 1 , IMO in theory yes, but you'll be spending a lot if time hanging around and overall end up doing even less skiing than if two of you were skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
Would this be allowed:

My wife and son go to onto the lift. At the top my son takes my wifes lift pass and bombs down very quickly and hands the pass to me whos goes up, joins the rest of the family who then ski down together.

This would be fine IMO. You are going to have a very stilted skiing day doing this with a lot of waiting around but if I was the lift company I would say knock yourself out.

johnE wrote:
Or perhaps, even better, my wife goes through the barrier then hands the lift pass over to me to use.

Definitely not. And I believe the barriers prevent this currently. Also the lifties could quite easily police it.

johnE wrote:
Both are further examples of "sharing" a lift pass

They are but a very different scenario IMO to the one the OP is asking about. And I've never seen anyone come on Snowheads asking if it's OK to do this whereas I've seen the OP question a number of times.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The one about going through the turnstiles and giving the pass to someone else to use to get through immediately, this has always been barred as far as I'm aware.

When you see someone get stuck with a leg either side of the bar, then the pass will not open again the gate to get out.
Also as above, I went to aid a child that was stuck like that. As soon as I got near, my adult pass effectively released them. Then I was stuck! And the liftie had to open it to let me through. Fortunately they'd seen what happened.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just buy two 1/2 day lift passes and tag team morning / afternoon and enjoy holiday. Don’t think there is a way around this unless they offer a young family pass. The extra cost is not a lot more to the overall cost of the holiday. We have a young (4 and 7yo) and for years we accepted our fate that skiing would take a back seat over spending time together in the mountains or hanging around nursery slopes. We are almost at the end or if... our 4yo is doing 1/2 day lessons this year and one of us will Collect her at lunchtime.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, Or, as has been established, Just buy a one day Paradiski pass ( cheaper than 2 x 1/2day passes ) and tag team morning / afternoon and enjoy holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@eblunt, yes but that’s cheating if T&C’s state non-transfer or assingnmebt of passes I probably should have read the thread or the T&C’s. My personal concern is more about insurance and liability should something go wrong as the cost knock-on affects could be substantial.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As a slight variation on a theme...

Last year my daughter finished her DoE trial walk with a blister, so was unable to ski for the first three days of our one week trip (Les Arcs). We were intending to buy a 2 or 3 day pass as and when she was ready.
Mrs Roll on the other hand bought a 6 day pass for herself. On day 3 she had a nasty fall, and was unable to continue.
We approached the lift pass office, who were comfortable with the pass being transferred from one to t'other for the remainder of the trip, but we needed to re-buy the carre neige that was originally in Mrs Rolls' name.

With this in mind, we planned to do the same this year for the 'boys trip', where one party was replacing another half-way through to the week. Didn't happen for personal reasons, and ended up with a 7 day pass not being used for final 4 days.
Swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arctic Roll, FYI - we were given a partial refunds last year at Serfaus when both my daughter and wife fell ill with Scarlet Fever(!) 2 days into the trip. We took the doctor's into the office and received refunds for the unused portion of lifts and lessons which they were able to cross-reference on the ski pass tracking system.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ozboy, Pay attention at the back please. As pointed out by Ecureil, the non-transfer restriction does not apply to the 1 day Paradiski pass.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@eblunt, +1 guilty of not back-reading.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ozboy wrote:
@Arctic Roll, FYI - we were given a partial refunds last year at Serfaus when both my daughter and wife fell ill with Scarlet Fever(!) 2 days into the trip. We took the doctor's into the office and received refunds for the unused portion of lifts and lessons which they were able to cross-reference on the ski pass tracking system.

Difficuly to "morally" justify claiming a portion of a lift pass that was unused because the person who had nominally bought it had gone home as he had planned.... Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arctic Roll wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

Difficuly to "morally" justify claiming a portion of a lift pass that was unused because the person who had nominally bought it had gone home as he had planned.... Smile

All this talk about morals, I would bet my left arm that if one of the situations where morals have been brought into question on this thread, would happen to yourself, you be thinking very differently. It’s very easy to judge, but dangle that carrot!
snow report
aroma111 wrote:
... All this talk about morals,

But it isn't even about morality. It has become absurd Confused
As I established if you walk up to the ticket office and say "My wife and I want to be able to alternate skiing and child-minding each day, please can you give us the appropriate pass(es) for our 6 day holiday".
The ticket office staff would charge you €269 for one of their standard 6 day local area passes and say "have a nice day".

For some on here to say that they would do anything other than say thank you, buy the pass and walk away is ridiculous.
The likelihood that anyone would actually say...
"But if I were to have bought it online, I'd have had to buy two 6-day tickets. Please apply the T&C's of that deal and charge me double".
"Please can I see your line manager as I think you've undercharged me"
"No, I don't want a 6 day local area pass, I'll have the much more expensive option of 6 single-day paradiski passes, even though I have no intention of going to La Plagne"

Is just too daft for words Confused Confused Confused
ski holidays
@Ray Zorro, Bravo again! But please let these people carry on, it's amusing me greatly whilst I wait for my only ski trip of the season to finally come around in March.
snow report
Friend of ours had an arthritic/gout flare up after his 1st day skiing in Altenmarkt recently. Ticket office said he needed a doctors note. He got one and the gave him a refund for his 4 unused days.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:
aroma111 wrote:

But it isn't even about morality. It has become absurd Confused
As I established if you walk up to the ticket office and say "My wife and I want to be able to alternate skiing and child-minding each day, please can you give us the appropriate pass(es) for our 6 day holiday".
The ticket office staff would charge you €269 for one of their standard 6 day local area passes and say "have a nice day".

For some on here to say that they would do anything other than say thank you, buy the pass and walk away is ridiculous.
The likelihood that anyone would actually say...
"But if I were to have bought it online, I'd have had to buy two 6-day tickets. Please apply the T&C's of that deal and charge me double".
"No, I don't want a 6 day local area pass, I'll have the much more expensive option of 6 single-day paradiski passes, even though I have no intention of going to La Plagne"

In your earlier post you said that the response you received 'implied' that it would be fine. What they confirmed was that if you go to the ticket office and get a pass it won't have a name on it - that's different to going to the ticket office and asking whether or not it's ok to share a 6 day pass. I don't think anyone has suggested that if the ticket office were happy to charge the discounted rate that they would ask to be charged more.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:
aroma111 wrote:

Ha ha classic
snow report
michaelf wrote:

In your earlier post you said that the response you received 'implied' that it would be fine. What they confirmed was that if you go to the ticket office and get a pass it won't have a name on it - that's different to going to the ticket office and asking whether or not it's ok to share a 6 day pass.

This. The question wasn't answered and the obvious follow up wasn't asked. I wouldn't be doing it on the strength of the ambiguous reply
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
aroma111 wrote:

Far too lenient ! Ulmerhutte says they should be sacked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
... The question wasn't answered and the obvious follow up wasn't asked...

What was the obvious follow up?

She said that skipass bought from the ticket office is not named specific.
What might that mean other than anyone can use it - bearing in mind that they do put names on some that are then not transferable?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
michaelf wrote:

In your earlier post you said that the response you received 'implied' that it would be fine. What they confirmed was that if you go to the ticket office and get a pass it won't have a name on it - that's different to going to the ticket office and asking whether or not it's ok to share a 6 day pass.

This. The question wasn't answered and the obvious follow up wasn't asked. I wouldn't be doing it on the strength of the ambiguous reply

The reply I got wasn't ambiguous.

Also what seems to have escaped the notice of the shouty gammon trio on here as well is that for T&Cs to be applicable you must have at either acknowledge them or at least have seen them. They're very often printed on the back of tickets for example. Buying online provides a very easy method of getting the punters to acknowledge the T&Cs. However, at a ticket office, with possibly a queue of people waiting, they haven't got time to start asking you to read through T&Cs. In any contract , you can't just introduce some new T&Cs at a later stage when you wan't to fine someone. That's why the pass is un-named; they've accepted they can't apply any T&Cs to it.

A lift pass , bought as seen with no T&Cs having been agreed to or even seen, with no name on it, is exactly that. A pass that allows whoever is carrying it to use a lift.
latest report
Not sure I've had to give names anywhere when buying passes at the ticket office. (They could get one from a credit card, but not others when buying more than one). The passes would not have been named, but that doesn't mean they are transferable.
snow report
@ecureuil, the answer of them not being named specific was to me stating that I wanted to share it.
She could very easily have said no tickets are transferable. But she didn't, she made it clear there was a difference between tickets bought online and from the sales office.

What can that mean other than tickets from the sales office can be shared?
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
... The question wasn't answered and the obvious follow up wasn't asked...

What was the obvious follow up?

She said that skipass bought from the ticket office is not named specific.
What might that mean other than anyone can use it - bearing in mind that they do put names on some that are then not transferable?

the obvious follow up would be "thanks for that information. does that mean the pass can be shared?" for absolute clarity. Her answer just says that the pass is not name specific. How does that mean it can be transferred?
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I asked her to confirm that the pass could be shared. She said a pass bought from the sale point office is not named person specific.
If I asked her again "does that mean the pass can be shared?", we'd have been going around in circles.

holidayloverxx wrote:
... Her answer just says that the pass is not name specific. How does that mean it can be transferred?

Because her answer was to me stating that I wanted to share the pass with my wife. The context of her answer has to mean that it can be transferred. I'm afraid I don't understand how you can interpret it differently Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ecureuil wrote:
Not sure I've had to give names anywhere when buying passes at the ticket office. (They could get one from a credit card, but not others when buying more than one). The passes would not have been named, but that doesn't mean they are transferable.

Being non-transferable is a condition of it's use. That's why they have to state it explicitly in the online T&Cs. In the absence of any T&Cs having been agreed , no such condition exists.
snow conditions
@Ray Zorro, as @eblunt the T&Cs says non transferrable. I don't think you would have been going round in circles, the answer would have been a simple yes or no, and that would have been and end to it. I can't help you to understand my interpretation, but when someone answers a different question to the one that was asked it could mean anything. Turn it round the other way. Q: is the pass named? A: No. That still doesn't say it can be shared just that there is no name on it. How does her answer help if you are stopped at the turnstile because the photo that was taken on first use does not match the later uses? Maybe it doesn't take photos of day passes? we don't know.
ski holidays
why is this ridiculous thread in the weather / snow conditions forum?

Bottom line.. buy a lift pass per person skiing and stop being cheap skates. Seriously. The mind boggles.
latest report
@holidayloverxx we shall have to agree to disagree.

She did not answer a different question to the one I asked.
There were different answers depending on how the skipass was bought.
She said "the skipass taken online is name specific but not if you take it at the sales office."
It means that if I bought the pass online then we couldn't share it, but that we can share it if it is bought at the sales office.
If it couldn't be shared regardless of where it was bought, she would have simply said that.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Ray Zorro, as @eblunt the T&Cs says non transferrable. I don't think you would have been going round in circles, the answer would have been a simple yes or no, and that would have been and end to it. I can't help you to understand my interpretation, but when someone answers a different question to the one that was asked it could mean anything. Turn it round the other way. Q: is the pass named? A: No. That still doesn't say it can be shared just that there is no name on it. How does her answer help if you are stopped at the turnstile because the photo that was taken on first use does not match the later uses? Maybe it doesn't take photos of day passes? we don't know.

Whilst waiting for others at a lift I often look at the lifties screen ( when there is one ). I have never seen a "first use" picture. Yes you see the season pass pictures pop up (clear face pic, no ski gear), these are the only pictures you ever see, and I've seen hundreds. Personally I believe this to first use picture to be a fairy tale. As I said above, I eventually got a straight answer from the lift office, confirming an un-named pass could be shared, after an earlier evasive one. It's clear that they don't want to advertise the fact that sharing is OK, with good reason; the more that suckers buy two passes when one would do, the more money they make.

If and when I happen to need to share a pass in Paradiski, I shall do so with a clear conscience , making sure it's an un-named pass and with a printout of my email from the lift office with me.
ski holidays
Quote:

Bottom line.. buy a lift pass per person skiing and stop being cheap skates. Seriously. The mind boggles.

@Alex A, +1.....Scroats....
snow report
Not entirely sure why people who are simply trying to make the best use of their money, within the confines of what the lift company will allow are getting called names, but hey ho!
snow conditions
Alex A wrote:

+1.

(The more that people make voluntary contributions to the lift company, the cheaper it will be for the rest of us)
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:
Not entirely sure why people who are simply trying to make the best use of their money, within the confines of what the lift company will allow are getting called names, but hey ho!
Agreed.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:
@holidayloverxx we shall have to agree to disagree.

She did not answer a different question to the one I asked.
There were different answers depending on how the skipass was bought.
She said "the skipass taken online is name specific but not if you take it at the sales office."
It means that if I bought the pass online then we couldn't share it, but that we can share it if it is bought at the sales office.
If it couldn't be shared regardless of where it was bought, she would have simply said that.

happy to agree to disagree - I just prefer explicit rather than implicit answers
snow report
@holidayloverxx, "Can either of us use the unnamed pass while the other is childminding" .. "Yes"

Explicit enough for you ?
snow report
@eblunt, totally...if the answer had been "yes". the answer was not "yes", it was that the pass bought at the ticket office was not name specific.

hereis RZ's transcript:
You :
Can you please confirm that if I was to buy only one 6 day pass when I arrive in Les Arcs that my wife and I can share it so that one of skis and the other looks after our infant daughter. Thank you.

Emma :
Hello, the skipass taken online is named specific but not if you take it at the sale point office

You :
Thank you

Emma :
You're welcome. Have a good day !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy