Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to carry skis: up or up side down ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have always carried my skis upwards (tips high) on my shoulder. They are well balanced and i can hold them in place without having to put too much force on them.

The 'traditional way' of upside down feels wrong.

Is there a good reason for carrying them in the traditional way?

Post edit: the ski's toe binding sits behind my shoulder.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-02-19 17:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kezzy19661, does the lever on the heel binding dig in to your shoulder? They are generally a bit more "pointy" than the front of a toe binding.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm, I'll have to try it 'right way up' and see. As long as the bindings are behind the shoulder, I don't see it matters. I'd have thought it's all about fulcrums and pivot points.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kezzy19661, old skool longer skis seem to be to indeed be better balanced for that than modern short ones.

But the main reason is of course to look as though you know what you are doing. Anything other than tips down, tails up, toe binding on shoulder demonstrates that you are at best a holiday skier.

More seriously, tips down where you can see them, tails high minimises sharp tips going in someones eyes and tails being swing around at head height.

My helmet has more scratches from unaware idiots turning round than anything else.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tips down is the traditional but with twin tips I can't see it makes much difference except the balance point feels wrong to me. As above most important is avoiding being a muppet and perimeter checking on pickups and drops also.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely the skis should never be near anyone's head behind you? They need to be at 2 o'clock / 50-70 degrees.

Although poles are a different matter. I am always pushing them out of the way as some idiot in front of me holds them near the handles horizontally.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@kezzy19661, old skool longer skis seem to be to indeed be better balanced for that than modern short ones.

But the main reason is of course to look as though you know what you are doing. Anything other than tips down, tails up, toe binding on shoulder demonstrates that you are at best a holiday skier.

More seriously, tips down where you can see them, tails high minimises sharp tips going in someones eyes and tails being swing around at head height.

My helmet has more scratches from unaware idiots turning round than anything else.

Are tips sharp these days? Tail corners seem sharper to me, mind you I always carry them tips down from habit.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, I always like the BASI "ski carrying test" story. I still hold it largely works for assessing whether someone is a skier ratehr than just on a ski holiday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rules #37 & #40

or, re-written for skiers:
Rule #37 // The tips of the skis will always point down and to the front when carried over the shoulder.
No exceptions. This is for various reasons that may or may not matter; it’s just the way it is.

Rule #40// Skis are to be carried over the shoulder with the tips pointing down and to the front.
Pro skiers do it this way because it balances better and is more manageable due to the position of the bindings. You do it this way because that's the way pro skiers do it.

Maybe there should be Rules for skiers........
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kezzy19661, This.... snowHead

youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 5-02-19 17:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I've not heard of that one - do you have a reference?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rules #37 & #40

or, re-written for skiers:
Rule #37 // The tips of the skis will always point down and to the front when carried over the shoulder.
No exceptions. This is for various reasons that may or may not matter; it’s just the way it is.

Rule #40// Skis are to be carried over the shoulder with the tips pointing down and to the front.
Pro skiers do it this way because it balances better and is more manageable due to the position of the bindings. You do it this way because that's the way pro skiers do it.

Maybe there should be Rules for skiers........

Klamm,

we already have our own, they used to be auto linked but that appears to have changed. see here :- the rules
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kieranm, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=856956&highlight=basi+carrying#856956
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like to play ski carrying bingo across the course of a week. Always a particular delight to see a 'briefcase', 'offering', 'boyfriend/girlfriend', 'bazuka' or 'Tommy Gun' as these tend to be a bit rarer.

BTW the correct way depends on circumstance. Tips down, over the shoulder when travelling any distance on open ground. Pimp stick or fishhook when in crowded spaces or getting on to gondola/bus etc.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One would always prefer to have a chap carry one's skis. But being dirt poor I have to be the chap an' it's the worst bit about skiing! Well there's the boots. I'm a skinny bony git, so the shoulder carry really hurts.
snow report
Carry them any damn way that hurts least - you and anyone else they could contact (poles included).
ski holidays
Attach them your ski backpack in 30sec works on most modern backpacks. Job done. Just remember to either duck or remove before entering pub wink
ski holidays
@kezzy19661, according to @geoffers, video you use the reverse local. If it's got a name it must be ok!

I tend to use the local, or boyfriend when Mrs Doc is there, and also one they didn't name where I hold the mid point of both skis in my right hand.

Whatever works!
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@under a new name, I always like the BASI "ski carrying test" story. I still hold it largely works for assessing whether someone is a skier ratehr than just on a ski holiday.
I've skied with the guy who originated that story, tells it with great relish Laughing
snow conditions
@kieranm, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=856956&highlight=basi+carrying#856956
Gosh, that's a post from the past!
ski holidays
I'd always say tips down - because you normally have more ski infront of the toe binding than behind the heal one. This means you have more of the ski infront of you where you can see it/less behind you where you can't and also better balance. Certainly I find it easier to balance skis on my shoulder tips down/toe in the shoulder/arm draped over the fronts of the skis than trying to do the same tails down/heal in the shoulder.

I do also like to throw some random ones in there to amuse people who've seen the ski carry video, like SnoodlesMcFlude. Thinking of going 'briefcase' on my next trip.
latest report
I would have thought someone would have mentioned the 'ski pole handle' trick. Loop the ski pole straps around both ends of the skis, making sure that the tip of the one pole is hooked into the strap of the other, and Roberts you father brother!

Assume this is what @SnoddlesMcflude is referring to above with the 'Briefcase' technique.
snow report
Roscoe wrote:
I would have thought someone would have mentioned the 'ski pole handle' trick. Loop the ski pole straps around both ends of the skis, making sure that the tip of the one pole is hooked into the strap of the other, and Roberts you father brother!

Assume this is what @SnoddlesMcflude is referring to above with the 'Briefcase' technique.

The Texas Suitcase. Not a good look nor particularly energy or time efficient.
ski holidays
I just carry mine vertically by my side, it seems a neat easy way of doing it. Gave up carrying them on my shoulder years ago as they seemed to hurt my shoulders, must have bones in the wrong place. I expect my method is very frowned upon but it suits me.
snow report
Roscoe wrote:

The Texas Suitcase. Not a good look nor particularly energy or time efficient.

Agreed. But when I'm responsible for carrying the wife's skis as well, this is the easiest option carry two pairs!
snow report
With all due respect - the wife surely should be capable of carrying her own skis if she is capable of skiing (certain medical conditions and injuries aside)?
ski holidays
Same as @Pamski, I think they called it the fish hook in the video! At 5ft 2 I'd be lethal carrying them on my shoulders. Love the video, think we may well play ski carry bingo at Easter.
snow report
With all due respect - the wife surely should be capable of carrying her own skis if she is capable of skiing (certain medical conditions and injuries aside)?

Christ on a bike, what is it with skiers! that is the second time in a week I have seen someone getting pellters for carrying their wife's skis for them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Happy wife, happy life! Don't get why you wouldn't want to carry them! Puzzled
snow report
@Jonny996, wish my other half would carry my skis! I think you sound like a gent. I often look with envy at the glam ladies who have chaps carrying their skis Cool . Now before I get a pile of rubbish aimed at me. I run my own business, that supports the whole family, travel the world on my own for work, always drive even on family trips, can and have changed tyres and put on the snowchains, unblock drains and advocate for myself in any situation. But still I wouldn't mind it if my other half carried them on occasion.
ski holidays
I just let the man servant pick them up and put them in the back of the Range Rover, clearly after he has opened the door for me.
latest report
Doesn't one have one's butler carry their skis for them?
snow report
Finally... my daughter carries her own skis (age 11)... who gives a feck how she does it...!
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:

Christ on a bike, what is it with skiers! that is the second time in a week I have seen someone getting pellters for carrying their wife's skis for them.

It's hardly pellters. The OP implied that he had to resort to an inefficient method because he was obliged to carry the wife's skis. Fine if it is a act of unilateral chivalry but its a bit different if the "wife" is actively soliciting it on a regular basis. It really isn't that hard to carry skis if you have some basic level musculoskeletal strength and function.
ski holidays
@Cheesie168, Thank you, and for clarity, don't blame the husband/partner or the wife/partner, it all spawns from the husbands/partners mother Very Happy. A clip round the ear would have very shortly followed any non offer of assistance/offering seat ect.
I do how ever encourage youngest to carry his own and only offer up when I see he has tried. As for the older one, he's bigger than me already & he is on his own.
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:

It's hardly pellters. The OP implied that he had to resort to an inefficient method because he was obliged to carry the wife's skis. Fine if it is a act of unilateral chivalry but its a bit different if the "wife" is actively soliciting it on a regular basis. It really isn't that hard to carry skis if you have some basic level musculoskeletal strength and function.

Didn't mention I was "obliged" to carry them or that she is "actively soliciting it". I don't mind carrying them its nice to be kind to loved ones, and I find the Texas briefcase the best method for doing so.

Each to their own and all that!
latest report
@Roscoe, you said you were "responsible" - sorry if I read too much into that.

As to the mother indoctrination - I have 2 young nieces. Their parents are at pains to not let them get into any expectation that "boys" will do things for them and that there are any boy roles and girl roles. Sounds entirely sensible to me if you want to raise modern independent women. I understand that grandmothers occasionally have to be reminded wink
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Finally... my daughter carries her own skis (age 11)... who gives a feck how she does it...!

+ 2 for both sons now! Just leaves me with 2 pairs to carry, which is a relief (sort of)!

I prefer heels down but balanced on shoulder between the bindings (I can't see a name for this so maybe call this "Shoulder arms") but it allows me great flexibility to do the whole drill eg move to Bazooka (which with 4 skis is the Hod-carrier!); Bren gun, Stand at ease or my favourite (Fatima Whibread /Javelin) - this is the whole flock in training:
http://youtube.com/v/T49_A9DYd9g wink
snow report
I suggest in future you all go for ski in, ski out accommodation & avoid having to carry them. Twisted Evil
snow report
Tails at front, centre of binding area on shoulder and skis on sides. I've used classic tips forward, flat on shoulder and have several reasons why I do it my way. Number 1, it is just more comfortable for me personally. Number 2, is there is in fact less ski behind me, so less to worry about there. Number 3, the sides down part must be something to do with my shoulder and neck shape and the special groove on my shoulder the skis fit into. If I carry them flat they seem to work their way into my neck and start burrowing through my jugular. Number 4, centre of binding and my skis seem to balance on their own with barely a whisper of touch from my hand. I can march for miles like this and indeed with the wife's set on the other shoulder. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy