Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"If skiing was easy they'd call it snowboarding", discuss...

Poster: A snowHead
...as seen on a t-shirt in Alta (so a bias must be assumed)...comments?

(edited to correct jet lagged spelling...)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 5-03-06 19:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
errr Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
1) 2 feet separate from each other and pointing forwards
2) 2 feet attached to the same plank and pointing sideways
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled natural - which one Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, he he he he - you know what I favour...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seen on a T-shirt in Snowbird,

If you dont ski I am not interested (could be thought of as discrimination!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have noticed recently that while you see skiers of all abilities (and quite a lot of good ones), you rarely see good boarders carving turns and using their edges properly. You see a lot of intermediates skidding on their heel edges and using the board as a rudder. At the same time, you don't see that many raw beginners.

One possible explanation is that boarding is easy to pick up but hard to perfect, whereas skiing is difficult to start with, but it's easier to get to a high level. Does this make it harder or easier than skiing?

And aren't you all a bit old for this dull skier vs boarder thing?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, If it's too steep you're too old (seen on a t-shirt at Solitude, UT and now languishing at Houston International as Continental failed to transfer the bags...) Sorry, I'm showing off...

Possibly. You may have a point. I think boarding is easy to pick up but hard to get really good at. Whereas skiing is just that bit harder all round. Not helped by the attitude of many ski teachers. Easiski has not adopted that moniker for nothing. It should be easy!

No I'm not too old for the boarder skier thing. It's just fun to wind them up. I am probably too old for the "let's get back to 203 skinny slalom skis for powder" thing: but I do feel you need to know how to ski, not just how to point the daft fat things downhill...bah! humbug!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Linds wrote:
Seen on a T-shirt in Snowbird,

If you dont ski I am not interested (could be thought of as discrimination!)

I still think I should have bought that for her!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, did you see the one in Christy Sports:

Skiing on badly tuned skis in Utah is like skiing in Colorado
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, Nuff said, as us boarders like to say. Without wishing to come all over Menzies Campbell, at least not tonight, both skiing and boarding have such distinctive virtues. I'd like to be a master at both. Speed skiing looks cool as does some of the cross-country stuff but even the two plankers must admit that the board rules the park, even though Mommy and Daddy skiier may have paid for offspring to be there. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch wrote:

[...] not just how to point the daft fat things downhill...bah! humbug!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saxabar, thank you! But no, I reckon inverted aerials on skis rules the park actually. Just MHO.

Wear The Fox Hat, ha ha! I didn't manage to hit Christy Sports. My bad. We did ski our little socks off tho' and I did manage to hit a tree off Powderhorn in Solitude (cue helmet arguments...).

Our overall favourite was Solitude. It's completely brilliant. We loathed Deer Valley, although I can see its appeal to some folks. Alta is very special too though and Big Rustler ain't bad as a last run of the day. Pix in the media zone soon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:
saxabar, thank you! But no, I reckon inverted aerials on skis rules the park actually. Just MHO.

Only if connected to a Sky+box, sat-nav, internet Krug-level-checker and mobile link to the one here who says this is a good idea. IMHO.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That sounded harsher than intended snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saxabar, snowHead snowHead snowHead you made me fall off my perch with that one. Does one need a mini-dish if foolish enough to be on snow blades?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only if pinched from a chalet with the intention of being wack and playing freebie across the piste.
ski holidays
saxabar, oh yes, indeedy...
ski holidays
Tried boarding this year and came to the conclusion after 3 hours that I just can't be a***d with all that falling down lark again. I spent a good few years learning not to fall over whilst skiing so I just can't be bothered to learn not to fall over on a board. 'Nuff respect to all those who learn, can and do board and many of them have my admiration but I'm content to stick to my skis. There's got to be enough room on the mountains for us all.
ski holidays
I've skied & boarded, and I found boarding an awful lot harder than skiing.

When I first strapped in & realised both feet were stuck to one board, that was one of the most terrifying moments of my life.
snow report
Quote:

If it's too steep you're too old

I think Spyderjon brought that one home from Snowbird Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Our overall favourite was Solitude

We had a blast the day we went, wonderful weather, excellent snow and hardly anybody else around snowHead
ski holidays
Linds, did he? I think it's a great T.

Re Solitude, we were totally delighted. Only went there as two independent chairlift new friends said it would be quiet and Alta/Snowbird were queued out. We had a total blast - all those chutes off Summit and Powderhorn, fantastic.

Possibly regret not skiing there on the day after the snowfall; Alta was brilliant but I think we'd have got more freshies in Solitude.
snow conditions
Boarding is easier in the park and in open powder.
Skiing is easier is easier in tight spaces (trees, chutes, etc.) and on ice.
They are basically just as easy/hard to pick up - I think the idea that boarding is easier to pick up than skiing comes from alot of boarders being ex-skiers, and say "I'm as good at boarding after 3 years as I was at skiing after 5," which is largely because they're already used to skiing/boarding fast, comitting to turns/spins/whatever, how it feels to carve, etc. When I see poeple who have been skiing/boarding for similar amounts of time (and are similarly athletic and fearless), they are normally very similarly skilled - if anything I would say the skiers are generally a bit further ahead.
snow report
ponder, I think I disagree but I'm too tired to elucidate! My perception is that the initial learning curve for boarding is steeper/shorter but I have nothing but anecdotal evidence...
snow report
ponder, Nice to see you again. I'm not sure if you've fully picked up in on the anglo-way of doing skiing/boarding. We buy new boards/skis eveyr year, go to the same 10 square miles in France and report back here as senior off-pisters.

Have done price checks and it's so bleeding cheap to come out your way, ridiculously so. Nothing booked but me and my girlfriend really want to come out around 11th/12th April, any idea what condition are like then?
latest report
saxabar, Smile
Regarding conditions in early - mid April, they should be good. Last year it was sweet powder around that time of year (I had my best boarding days ever in Whistler last April), but of course every year is different. There's also a good chance of spring conditions, which personally I love. I would say the one big risk with coming in April is that it might be raining while you're skiing, which obviously sucks. Here's a link to weather in Whistler over the past 5 years - as you can see, April is somewhat unpredicatable:
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/stats/index.htm
latest report
David Murdoch, I was just looking at your pics, and the two of you and Mark in a chute - it looks like the entrance to STH off Gad 2 at Snowbird. Is it?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, good try but no (although we did ski under the Gad2 lift on Saturday). It's a little chute just to the right as you look up under Supreme in Alta. We yoyoed there for ages on Wed in about 6-10 inches of fresh.

Mighty fine!
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:

And aren't you all a bit old for this dull skier vs boarder thing?

amen.

I've noticed a lot more petty complaining/sniping coming from skiers as more snowboarders appear on the mountain. I think it's just niggling jealousy that it took them so many years of practice, perfecting their skills on piste, then upgrading to fat skis, before they can head to the read fun (IMHO) off piste that most snowboarders can enjoy with 4 weeks expierence under their belt.

Personally as a snowboarder I would like to be able to ski off piste but I'm not sure I want to invest 2+ seasons (living in the Alps) to get there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On a serious note: I think the first 3 days on a board (assuming not a skier) are much harder than the first three days on skis (assuming not a boarder). You just fall and fall and fall. It hurts! Once over that bit I think boarders progress more quickly until about 4 weeks where I think it evens out. After 6 weeks I think both skiers and boarders are on a level. I don't think it's that much easier to board off piste just that the type of person likely to board is more likely to try it. So many middling skiers just won't even entertain it - why not? Bad technique = why not!

In the park? Skis rule! Shocked Shocked All boarders seem to do are rotations - not very interesting, while skiers do far more inverts, grabs and generally more interesting jumps + into and out of big airs fakey - wow!!!! mega impressive - also applies int he pipe - sorry boarders.

If you can do either first the second is easier to learn.
snow report
easiski wrote:

In the park? Skis rule! Shocked Shocked All boarders seem to do are rotations - not very interesting, while skiers do far more inverts, grabs and generally more interesting jumps + into and out of big airs fakey - wow!!!! mega impressive - also applies int he pipe - sorry boarders.

easyski, Not sure if I agree with that but one of the things I like about freestyle skiing are the rotations. The ski's ala helipcopter blades look awesome.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Whilst technically impressive, the flailing sticks look bad though. Sorry.

Boards, due to the surface area, naturally will float better in powder than a pair of ski's.
ski holidays
Lizzard,
Quote:

At the same time, you don't see that many raw beginners

You don't see baby pigeons, either, or old people eating Twixes. We all know why the latter occurs, though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy