Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve-best restaurants on slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend best restaurants for lunch on the mountain please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can recommend La Caboche near the children's ski school - mid priced, good service, and I think takes reservations. Was there last month. Has recently changed hands (don't know what it was like before, but they are trying hard to impress now!).
Would avoid Alpage de Pre-Rosset - pricey and slow service.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends what you mean by best. We popped into L'Arpette for a vin chaud some years ago, and thought we might stay for lunch. We asked to the wine list and saw that the first bottle on the list was Eu3,000. We didn't stay, so I can't tell you if was the best, but it was possibly the most expensive on the mountain.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing There are some seriously expensive places in Megeve.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More Michelin stars than you can shake a ski-stick at
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And then there's the Mandarines. You can pay £25 for the house specialty, which is essentially a burger and chips, but without the bun. When you leave, as you walk out of the door, your skis will be lying parallel on the ground, with a ski pole either side, ready to you to step into and ski off. If you find the whole putting your skis on thing too taxing rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpage de Pre Rosset (Rochebrune) and Auberge du Bonjournal (Jaillet) are both good spots for a combination of food and views.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stanford Skiing have an excellent online guide to the Megeve mountain restaurants, including price comparisons, descriptions etc - see here.

I also detailed our own lunch stops from our January trip, with prices and photos - see here.

Generally speaking, I found that the further you ski away from Megeve itself, the better value the mountain restaurants. Conversely the closer you are to Megeve (particularly if there's no direct road access to the restaurant), prices are higher and the food not necessarily better quality.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
denfinella wrote:
Conversely the closer you are to Megeve (particularly if there's no direct road access to the restaurant), prices are higher and the food not necessarily better quality.

One exception to your rule used to be the Altiport restaurant, haven't been there for a while but it was reasonable value even though it is on the road. It may just follow a variant of your rule in that it isn't really accessable by skis.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tutosat, can reccomend the restaurant at the bottom of the "princesse" gondolaand , not sure of its name but right next to a ski hire shop adjacent the "la princesse" car park. admittedly, you will need to take your skis off and walk down a few steps from the slope, but lots of outside seating, and good reasonably priced food. the few times I used it a couple of seasons ago, it was frequented a lot by ski instructors/lifties and pisteurs, so I always see that as a good sign!!!

cheers
terry
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjs, that makes sense - Altiport is at the far end of the Rochebrune sector from Megeve (therefore cheaper) and also by the road (also therefore cheaper) Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.ultimate-ski.com/ski-resorts/france/haute-savoie/megeve/mountain-restaurants.aspx
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had an amazing lunch at the restaurant at the bottom of blue Clémentines, near the Croix du Christ chairlift - one of those meals I still think about sometimes. We also had a very, very overpriced lunch at L’Auberge de la Côte 2000 which I think must be an exception to the further away=cheaper rule.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have had some of the best meals ever in the restaurants on the mountains around Megeve. Not cheap but oh so delicious, lots of lovely cheesey creamy things!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our favourite used to be the Alpage at the bottom of the Communailes drag. However, it has apparently now changed hands, and Marie no longer runs it, so we shall see in a couple of weeks what has happened to it.
Another one I like is the one near the bottom of the black Grand Choucas run, but it depends what you mean by 'good' - to me it's nice food, nice location, not too expensive, and not so much of a full blown meal that i don't want to move after I've eaten it!
Sat down at the one at the bottom of blue Clementines at New Year, took one look at the menu, and decided that for 7 of us that was just too expensive. I've eaten there on my own, when just paying for myself, and it was quite pleasant though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy