Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Urgent advise

Poster: A snowHead
My tale of woe. My ski mate has done his knee. Shite. So he can't go. I have a flight booked into Geneva from Australia on the 7th Feb. Yep that is this Thursday. Was planning on skiing for 2 weeks from 9th to 23rd Feb. Skiing anywhere easily accessible from Geneva is good eg 3V, Zermatt (preferred), Arlberg etc. Any suggestions on groups like Inghams where I could latch onto an existing ski group flying in from the UK? Then go with them on a bus/train to the resort. Maybe get to ski with some of the group? Nothing fancy. I am a blue/black piste skier with the occasional off piste foray. Anyone on here going to Geneva around then that wouldn't mind an old Australian guy tagging along?
Thanks
John
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Johnb007, the 9th of February is the start of the French winter holidays, so would advise avoiding France if you can.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sj1608 wrote:
@Johnb007, the 9th of February is the start of the French winter holidays, so would advise avoiding France if you can.
Thanks so strike 3V off the list. Zermatt is preferred and Arlberg next. Am open to suggestions. I will be in Geneva sans car so need to train or bus it to the resort. I am an old codger and have skied 3V, Arlberg, Saalbach, Zermatt, Aspen, Steamboat, Telluride, Tahoe, etc so I have an idea of what type of resorts I like. The ones listed are the ones I like.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It might be worth posting here:
https://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1
then owners come to you with offers of what they have.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Johnb007, Welcome to SHs. How very annoying for you and him. soooo The likes of Inghams are travel operators and don't organise group skiing.

Can you modify your flight dates?

1. it is French holidays, which while not the worst thing in the world (i.e. totally to be avoided) these days with modern uplift, are a busier time of the season, in France.
2. there is a Snowheads "Bash" which is a group heading into Gressoney which is easily reachable from GVA https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=140679
3. you could see if you could get on an UCPA group - French sports related youth hosteling) which might work. But you are probably going to have to take anything available if there is anything at all.

Otherwise I have no idea. Maybe check out the Ski Club of GB for organised trips but bear in mind they are a company not a club.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sj1608 wrote:
It might be worth posting here:
https://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1
then owners come to you with offers of what they have.

Posted there. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feb is holidays across Europe and so a busier period for resorts which means that you may have to pick somewhere based on accommodation avilability. Not entirely sure I'd call the Arlberg easily accessible from Geneva, it's a long train journey across Switzerland and requires changes, but if you are keen on heading this way, maybe look at staying in Landeck where you have public transport access to St Anton, Ischgl and Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis amongst others. May also be a bit easier to get accommodation than in a resort itself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dates can not be changed unfortunately. No worries re train to Arlberg from Geneva. I would go to Zurich then Landeck then bus to Lech. Done that before. I have sent email to skiclubGB and posted on Chalets Direct. Will phone a few companies tonight Aust time as Inghams etc work Sundays. Thanks for your inputs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Johnb007, although 9 Feb is start of French holidays, it is only Zone A. Busy but not so much as the following 3 weeks, when other European holidays kick in, including the notorious Paris week late Feb into early March.

The areas with modern lift systems have bottleneck queues, for sure. But if you don’t mind 5 minute waits sometimes and busy pistes occasionally, I wouldn’t rule out France.

Including France would probably quadruple your chances of finding a reasonably priced trip with opportunities for sociable skiing, starting from GVA.

If cost is not an issue and you rented a car, then the Alps will still have plenty of space left, if you’re flexible and willing to drive for a few hours.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Johnb007, sorry, my point being that I don’t think the likes of Inghams organise group skiing. I.e. you’d still be on your own.

UCPA however organise week courses, so at least you’d be skiing with other people.

Actually, thinking about that, check out instruction weeks like Warren Smith, there are others but I don’t have names in my head. Also Inside Out skiing run by SHs on here.

Maybe also change your thread title to make it more useful? At the moment you could be asking for help on a blocked toilet. Or an upset sexual partner. Or a partner upset about your other indiscretions!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good suggestion by @under a new name, to make thread title more specific. Then you might attract attention of TOs, smaller chalet operators and groups looking to fill the odd spare room and bed.

Also true that guided group skiing by TOs is very rare these days. Nevertheless, if based in a reasonable sized British TO chalet or chalet hotel, chances of finding ski buddies on an informal basis is very high in my experience.

I think if you include France as a possibility for 9-16 Feb, then there’s a good chance of getting a suitable place. I could highlight a few operators it may be worth trying.

Much more difficult for 16-23 Feb. I’d look to head away from France that week. Italy, Austria, Switzerland should be better but by no means easier. Smaller less mainstream areas might be good. Having a car that week would help.
snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
try a T/O like Mark Warner, Alpine Elements or even Crystal, they are bound to have rooms free. Also they are geared around bringing people together. You are bound to find some people to ski with
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For Zermatt, the Zermatt website shows a range of accomodation available for your dates and I suspect if you email hotels direct you would find more. It won’t be as busy as France for sure. You can get a saver day pass on the SBB website for the train and once there either go to the Ski Club of GB social night and join up with their groups or if you go into somewhere like Sparky’s for a beer when you get there I’m wiling to bet you will meet up with like minded people or ask Sparky to point you in the right direction.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also try www.booking.com - there will be late deals there with single rooms. If you are planning on mocing around (ie skiing a couple of resorts) this could work well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FrediKanoute wrote:
try a T/O like Mark Warner, Alpine Elements or even Crystal, they are bound to have rooms free. Also they are geared around bringing people together. You are bound to find some people to ski with

Used to be a big fan of MW (2 sometimes 3 weeks a year). Experience last couple of times has been shocking. Wouldn’t go anywhere near them, especially if you’re on your own.
latest report
OK thanks for your responses. Not into guided tours. I have a few options re accommodation. I might just go alone and see what happens re ski buddies. I will change the thread heading if I can figure out how to do that.
snow report
@Johnb007, edit the first post
latest report
@brovert,
Quote:

Used to be a big fan of MW (2 sometimes 3 weeks a year). Experience last couple of times has been shocking. Wouldn’t go anywhere near them, especially if you’re on your own.

Interested in specifics if you could? OP might like to know too.
Like you, I've been with MW many times but not for a couple of years. Where and why has been poor in your opinion?
snow conditions
@brovert,
Quote:

Interested in specifics if you could? OP might like to know too.
Like you, I've been with MW many times but not for a couple of years. Where and why has been poor in your opinion?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, As always its the company or people that you meet that make a trip which has always made up for a dissapointment with the tour operator. Last couple of trips were to Tarrentaise before that was Val and Aiguille. Food mediocre, gave up completely on wine (if you know me it has to be bad). Not usual happy helpful staff we had known in past (ex had to carry own bags up hill to Tarrentaise upon arrival and back down again upon departure despite obviously needing some assistance), Ski Hire was an internal run affair out of the boot room woefully inadequate kit. Been on a downward spiral for a while despite still holding their prices. If you’ve got children I expect childcare is still top notch and you’d probably be willing to put up with drop in quality. For where we now are there are other operators or options that better serve our price point.
latest report
Johnb007 wrote:
OK thanks for your responses. Not into guided tours. I have a few options re accommodation. I might just go alone and see what happens re ski buddies. I will change the thread heading if I can figure out how to do that.

I did the lone ski thing myself, after a ski buddy pulled out. Actually turned out to be a great holiday, met a lot of people on lifts, in my hotel, and in the bus queue, so I skied by myself and with new friends all week. I did really enjoy it...
snow report
Depends on your budget, but how about hiring a small studio somewhere like Verbier, or a satellite like La Tzoumaz or Veysonnaz? All are accessible by train/bus from Geneva, so no car hire necessary. You could try emailing the Verbier Tourist Office with your dates/times and see what they come up with as well: they may be aware of hotels and apartments where groups have had people drop out and are looking for a replacement. See http://www.verbier.ch/en/fppoi-verbier-tourist-office-3978.html
ski holidays
What’s your budget? The first week of your trip is not half term for most UK schools, so you may find slots available in catered chalets run by Uk based tour ops, or smaller companies. With any luck you would then have ready made English speaking ski companions, or at least company at dinner.
See link here for sort of thing you can get in La Tania (3V). https://www.latania.co.uk/specials.php
ski holidays
@brovert, thanks, interesting, comments noted. I'm aware the fabric of some MW chalet hotels seem to have been in 'managed decline' for years. Now the Moris in Val D and Dahu in Courch 1850 have gone, Tarentaise sounds like the next worst in that respect. Or is it Hotel Val D?
Must say I've always found MW staff very good and food more than adequate quality and quantity. I was in Ag Perc in Tignes 2 years ago and although the room was small, overall I thought the accommodation decent. Manager there very good too, I think he's still there this season.
I hope standards generally aren't sliding! Thanks again.
ski holidays
If you can get yourself into a chalet, there'll almost certainly be people who will be delighted to have, as you put it "an old Australian guy tagging along". I ended up on a solo holiday a few years back & choosing the chalet experience was undoubtedly a great move. As a result of that holiday I've made good friends who I've skied with many times since.
This site and Chalets direct will probably be your best options rather than a tour operator. Good luck on your quest! snowHead
snow conditions
Here you go!. This is the operator that I went with! Just came across this post. They post here as @Snow and Sunshine

"If you don't manage to find a ski buddy would you consider travelling alone?

We have spaces in our chalet flocon for that week (10-17th Feb) for £399 pp fully catered with no single supplement, so that could be an option for you?

The chalets are usually nice and sociable with a good atmosphere round the table in the evenings.

www.ice-fire.co.uk

That sounds like a great deal. I will email them immediately. Never skied there. I have to figure out how to get there from Geneva airport. Any suggestions for that? Thanks
snow report
That sounds like a great deal. I will email them immediately. Never skied there. I have to figure out how to get there from Geneva airport. Any suggestions for that? Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Johnb007 wrote:
Have a look for shared minibus transfers. A quick Google brought up Bens Bus which looks good value (though I’ve never used them personally so can’t vouch for them). One thing to bear in mind is that you’ll likely have to sit around a bit at GVA waiting for another flight or so to come in depending on who else is on your transfer. Not a big problem but if off the back of a long flight it might be a bit frustrating.

Personally I’d hire a small car, if there’s only one of you then you can get away with something really compact and it would give you the flexibility of heading to other ski areas for a day (La Rosiere or Sainte Foy for example from La Plagne).
snow report
Could go to Chamonix, 2 weeks is enough time to do it justice, several buses direct from Geneva airport and only 1.5 hours away. Dont say your age, assuming youngish? - If you can get in to Ski Station or Vagabond hostels you'll find ski buddies easy. They've had some fresh snow too.
Pretty amazing place.
Wouldn't worry too much about school hols, place is big enough to cope, with many separate areas.

http://www.gitevagabond.com/
https://www.hostel-skistation-chamonix.com/
ski holidays
Got a chalet via Chalets Direct. Ski Hame offered a good deal in Merlibel 1/2 board in a 7 room chalet. Looks good. I will take the transfer bus with the others when they arrive into Geneva on Sat morning. Thanks for all the advise. Now just hope the snow and weather are good. It looks like warming up considerably next week.
snow conditions
Got a chalet via Chalets Direct. Ski Hame offered a good deal in Merlibel 1/2 board in a 7 room chalet. Looks good. I will take the transfer bus with the others when they arrive into Geneva on Sat morning. Thanks for all the advise. Now just hope the snow and weather are good. It looks like warming up considerably next week.
snow conditions
Just back from 3v. The on piste snow is excellent and a couple of warmer days aren’t going to make a significant difference. Forecast also predicting more on Sunday into Monday...so you will have some fresh stuff too. Just googled the location of the Ski Hame chalets. If you’re in the chalet in Le Raffort, the run down through the trees to Le Raffort is a delight at the moment, especially first thing with fresh snow. (You have to get the bubble up to Meribel proper and then up the Legends chair, turn right, head past the bottom of Cheferie and Olympic chairlifts and then take the next left after about 100m).

I wouldn’t bother with the ski back to Les Allues if you’re based there...it’s a bit of a trek along the piste ( really a track) with quite a bit of up hill. Fun to do once and pretty in fresh snow though.
Hope you find some friends to ski with!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy