Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids out early from school - how?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all,

I am curious of the dark art of tactfully and tactically persuading the school to permit our children be let out early. We head down (like many others) on the 15th and are planning to leave as soon as we collect them at 15:15. However, we all know what the last day of school is like before half term so I am thinking about approaching the school to see if they will let us take them out at 14:00.

Our children are 4 and 6 so they are not exactly at a crucial time in their education in terms of exam prep etc. We are also considering another ski trip in March (not half term) which would mean requesting taking them out for an entire week. The wife and I have thought about requesting homework that we could take away in order to show we are considerate towards their education to help sway the negations. Our children have 100% attendance records which I also think counts for something.

I appreciate all schools/teachers will vary in their attitude towards this topic (even though guidance/policy is in place), but nonetheless, I am very interested to learn of other peoples' experiences of engaging with their school to take kids out early.

Thanks all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have just responded on other thread
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fictitious dentist appointment has worked for us in the past, equally so has being honest and saying we are catching an early evening flight. For attendance purposes they like them to be there for afternoon registration but ours seem relaxed about leaving after then, especially at that age. The 4 year old doesn’t legally need to be in school until 5 so doesn’t count for absence targets.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, just read the other bit about a week off in March... we took a few days out for Lapland last year and achool were ok with it. It was a once in a lifetime trip and he didn’t miss much (was in year 1), just pre Christmas playing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dental or doctors appointment is best excuse, although at ages 4 and 6 you can guarantee they will say to their teacher that they are going skiing but it’s a secret and they aren’t supposed to tell them!

I’ve flown Friday- Friday to halve the airfares in the past and phoned the kids in sick from the airport, I didn’t feel guilty as the school skitrip left on the Friday morning anyway.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
at 4 and 6 they won't do anything on the last day. take them out at 2, make them learn to count to 10 in french on the way down and they will have had more educational activity than they would at school that day Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Move to Scotland.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If they have registered after lunch then they will have "attended" school the entire day. Dentist at 1.30
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If your children's attendance is good and you have a good relationship with the school, I think honesty is the best policy!

We took our boys out for a week to visit family in Dubai last year during term time. We wrote a letter to the head requesting the leave, based on maintaining family bounds and some cultural educating. It was granted. If you are honest and highlight the benefits to the children, its hard for them to justify a reason not to allow them off.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never ask - always inform . . .

Anything up to year 6 you should have no probs
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm guessing you're in England? I wouldn't go down the lying route. The teacher isn't stupid and it creates a breach of trust. Just be honest and ask the school, maybe mention that they'll be participating in sport (ski lessons?) while away.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
. . .as previous

In my experience never ask - headteachers are then duty bound to deny based on policy (whether they agree with it or not) Def don't lie - just inform the school of your intention to remove said child . . .as mentioned, if your kids have a good attendance % and are well behaved it shouldn't be an issue . . .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm with @Belch, on this. Policy is set by the local authority / academy / educational trust (as applicable) and the head has no discretion. There are very few circumstances that the DfE will permit for an 'authorised absence' so everything else is unauthorized.

On the personal level, the class teacher would probably prefer to know, in case she/he has something specific planned, but would (probably) appreciate all the more you letting them know politely rather than lying or treating it as an issue.

Take their reading books and make sure that the children read as much as they normally would during the week. And as suggested, maybe learn to count in German or French, or discuss something about the mountain environment. A discussion of "if hot air rises, why does it get colder, not hotter, when we go up the mountain?" lasted us for a good hour or so on the motorway one time!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When we took our grandchildren their mother told the teachers verbally. Response was,. We can't authorise it, but of course they have to go! End of year report, they were both recorded as 100%attendance, but they didn't get the certificate!
That was a very sensible school..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can i just suggest, that you do not ask for homework, that is most primary teachers nightmare. Depending on your education authority if you take out for a whole week, you will be fined per parent, but still cheaper than going in term time.
Just ask if you can go early on the Friday, just wait til your children have been registered, so most schools anytime from 1.15
latest report
+1 to inform, not ask. It's only a couple of hours after all.

Re homework, do 4 and 6 year olds have homework to do in school hols? Have been out of the uk education system for a few years now but this seems excessive at that age? I'd think that the alpine experience would be education enough.
snow report
They would have reading, spellings and possibly a small piece of weekend homework at 6 years old.
Personally nothing is more educational than a week on the slopes with mum and dad.
snow conditions
In line with many of the responses above, I'd say - don't tell lies, and above all don't require your children to tell lies. That's inexcusable. If you go after afternoon registration it should be fine. As for the week - read your LEA's policy really carefully before doing anything. They are all required by law to publish their policy on unauthorised absence. Don't ask for homework.
latest report
Any LEA can fine you - usually 60 pounds pp. That said, most don't issue a fine unless you've been absent regularly. 4 year old is fine - not statutory school age (that's the term after 5th birthday), so doesn't have to attend school yet anyway. You wont be given permission, the Head just can't give it without a really exceptional reason (that could be issues around getting time off work if your employer will write to the school or if you're in the armed forces, but can't be stuff like cost or availability of flights) it's not a negotiation. But, be kind, tell them you're taking the child out early, get the afternoon registration mark if possible (then it's not strictly 'absence') and be totally honest. For the week off, again, be honest, tell them a few weeks in advance. Promise to do lots of reading with them (and actually do it!). Ski now, while you can, while it doesn't have a big impact on schooling, when they're 10 plus it's a nightmare and can really set them back.
snow conditions
Schools have ski trips in term time. There is never any question of that week impacting the education of those on the trip or those left at school without the teacher who is also on the ski trip.

Just saying......
snow conditions
@NE1, not all schools. The secondary school my eldest goes to is in half term week.
ski holidays
It would be interesting to know stats from individual LEA's on fines issued for absence, a sensible approach based on factors for individual children would be the best policy, but I guess this will be in the minority.

I've informed the school today for my six year old that we will be taking him out for 3 days just before half term, I'm expecting a stern 'we do not approve' and fine in the post from the council.

Going to be interesting, as we have parents evening the evening before we go so imagine it will be brought up a 2nd time then.
snow conditions
@Page23, Be honest as others have said, and tell the school what your doing. Our sons primary school, never approved our requests, just sent a note of unapproved leave.
In his secondary school we've only taken him out for 1 day, we advised his form teacher at a parents evening, where he smiled and said " I don't blame you, have a great time" again on unapproved status.
Good luck with your school.
snow report
Same as others have said, we did not request, just informed. We used to take them out early for ski trips, Christmas/Easter. Sometimes did afternoon registration on the last day and others lunchtime on the day before when it suited us for travel arrangements. You have the flexibility now once they are at senior school, it is not so easy as they will not want to miss out and have to catch-up. Don't lie and the trip in March, put in the form but accept you are highly unlikely to get it approved but you still take them as it is your choice.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've informed the school today for my six year old that we will be taking him out for 3 days just before half term, I'm expecting a stern 'we do not approve' and fine in the post from the council

Have you read the LEA policy? Most won't fine for 6 sessions unapproved absence.
ski holidays
Great advice @pam w

Didn't think to check for the policy online. However just done a quick look up, LEA is generic, however the school trust has a more specific one about penalty notices where a number of 'and' conditions should be met. It looks like I may get away without a fine as a penalty notice will be issued if unauthorized absence in conjunction with either failing to request an absence or having the request rejected is more than 10 school sessions which equates to 5 days for both registration periods.
snow conditions
. . .forgot to say -

Any savings you make now by doing this put the excess you would have paid (over UK school hols periods) in the bank because it won't be long till yr7 and if the kids express a desire to ski you will be stung like the rest of us . . ! I have 3x kids - I know . . . £ Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
Good advice @Belch,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are you just talking about one afternoon before half term? I agree with just inform them (pleasantly). They are so young it makes no difference at all - think how many days off kids have for tummy bugs and colds etc.

I may not be the best example as I would (and have) happily take primary school kids skiing for a week in term time. As long as they are up to date with their learning and have good attitudes towards school I don't see why not.
snow report
Wow, thanks all. Very helpful. I agree, honesty does seem to be the best policy for a number of reasons.
ski holidays
I’m waiting for some brave parents having logged how many term time hours their children have watched films practised plays ( ie mostly sitting about) had Golden Hour etc then take Relevant Body to court for messing up said child’s education!
I am not carping about those activities- been a teacher -but the whole policy is wrong. We need to get back to dealing with persistent absenteeism and let children learn valuable stuff with families. The ten day rules were much fairer
snow report
@Scrinchy, Far too much logic and common sense, they'll never run with that. rolling eyes
latest report
Don't worry about it school will be fine. If you are picking up at 2.00pm they will have got their afternoon registration mark so their attendance won't be affected. Just fess up you need to leave early for a flight/ferry and school will be fine.

i am taking my kids out for the whole day. They are 17, 15 and 13. they are missing one day. The kids on the school ski trip missed a whole week!
snow report
We've taken ours (Y3 & Y4 now) for at least one day a week per season since the older one started school and the only time we've been fined was for a whole week in when they were in YR /Y1 but we've never lied to the school, always informed the school of the absence a few weeks before hand and stating "we understand and accept that this will be marked as an unauthorised absence". We're being well behaved this year and heading straight off from school at 3:20pm on the 15th. We WILL make the 6:20 tunnel!
snow report
Aged 4 &6.....Take them out in the 2nd week of March and have a much better and safer experience
snow report
From today, ive taken mine out for a while two weeks for a family wedding/holiday in Australia for 3 weeks including the half term. School couldn’t authorise it but none of the teachers seem concerned!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy