Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me an Austrian dish to eat in resort!

Poster: A snowHead
@Steilhang, now a proper (veal) schnitzel is something I like, but I've not had once in an Austrian ski resort. My favourite is Escalope Holstein.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If they have it on the menu, a Fleischkrapfen. Every hut has its own recipie, but basically its like a big finely chopped meat pasty served with sauerkraut, absolutely delicious! Sometimes its like a pastry, sometimes more like a giant batter, either way are both really tasty and filling. The best one to be had is at the Moosalm, Eben or the Holzwurm at bottom of Neuberg lift, Filzmoos.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First time I have ever read a good thread and felt full! Austrian food is hefty and delicious Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Nadenoodlee, tell me about it! Thank God for elasticated waistbands! Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kiachl
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mr.Egg, what is that?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This thread is making me soooo hungry and even more looking forward to Kitzbuhel in four weeks. I love Austrian food, but it doesnt do my cholesterol levels any good
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you are on a budget, Leberkase (which is like spam, if you remember that) in a Semmel with Senf. It costs about 3 euros and is perfect for elevenses with a hangover. Suspect you should not do it too often though. For supper, Schweinhacksen as mentioned above with Saurkraut is fantastic and cheap - you may have to pre-order. Because it is usually such good value, when the bill comes you can say to your friends "I'll get this" - it is a rare win win situation.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brandegg, yep, also good is a schmaltzbrot, which is basically a slice of dark bread and dripping with tiny crunchy bits of crackling, with lots of wafer thin sliced raw onions, costs about €2.80, or if you are in Styria, then try a steirekasbrot, powdery stilton type crumbly cheese on buttered farmhouse bread, again about €3 euros and a really tasty snack.
Im not going to lie, they will both give you breath that could kill a bear at 20 meters tho!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:
Knieküchle is a traditional German fried dough pastry that is very popular in Old Bavaria, Franconia, Western Austria and Thuringia. Depending on region it has several other names, including Auszogne, Krapfen, Küchl, or Rottnudel. In Austria its name is Bauernkrapfen or Kiachl.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Germknoedl for me. When we first saw it years ago we had to ask the diner what it was so we could get some. Does slow you down a bit after though!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

dark bread and dripping with tiny crunchy bits of crackling, with lots of wafer thin sliced raw onions

That sounds great. Best thing I ever ate in Austria was dark rye bread with spek - served in a genuine high mountain Heidi kind of place by a Heidi's grandfather type - an Austrian friend had taken us walking. I was very hungry - only about 14 - had never eaten anything like it. It was high summer above the Wolfgangsee. My mother said, in her best and not-quite-forgotten German "Ich bin heiss". The subsequent correction was one I will never forget! That's the way to learn a language... Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dripping, crackling and raw onion, eh?... think I might give that one a miss. Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, it's luverly
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes, mir ist es heiss might have been better. If the OP is self catering, for breakfast, Vollkorn bread with butter, honey, and a coffee is a nice start. Thank you Kooky re Schmalzbrot, I have not come across this in Tyrol, will have a go; the bread here is so much better than the bland stuff in the UK. And healthy.
snow conditions
@pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing oh yes, the girls at work always laugh at me for making that mistake too Embarassed Embarassed

@brandegg, its really good, try it!

I still think of of the best things on any huts menu is a Brettljause. Usually a large selection of home produced cheeses, meats, cold roast cuts often served with pickled veg, grated fresh horseradish (kren) spreads, sausages, basically anything the chef fancies plonking on your platter. They are great value, good for sharing too as they are always huge. They do vary vastly in price here though, from the fancy ones in Lisa Alm where they are served on a very artistic fancy washing line type board, seriously has to be seen to be believed, down to the ones where there is so much food I have to wrap it in serviettes and take it home for later Shocked
snow report
Really dark rye bread - yum!
snow report
Kooky wrote:
@brandegg, yep, also good is a schmaltzbrot, which is basically a slice of dark bread and dripping with tiny crunchy bits of crackling, with lots of wafer thin sliced raw onions... !

Another vote for this delicacy. My Dad used to love a variation on this dish, with the dripping coming from cooking well-cured speck, with the addition of a few caraway seeds. Totally “schmeckt wunderbar”, but you can feel your arteries protest.

Love just about everything that has been mentioned above. Comfort food.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

dark bread and dripping with tiny crunchy bits of crackling, with lots of wafer thin sliced raw onions

That sounds great. Best thing I ever ate in Austria was dark rye bread with spek - served in a genuine high mountain Heidi kind of place by a Heidi's grandfather type - an Austrian friend had taken us walking. I was very hungry - only about 14 - had never eaten anything like it. It was high summer above the Wolfgangsee. My mother said, in her best and not-quite-forgotten German "Ich bin heiss". The subsequent correction was one I will never forget! That's the way to learn a language... Laughing
Ha ha! Biggest mistake I ever made in German was during an altercation with another guy which was getting a bit heated ( I was young ). I said "wenn du nicht sofort die Schnauze hältst dann hol ich dir eine runter". The argument was over...
I'll leave it to Kooky to translate.
snow conditions
@Steilhang, Embarassed Shocked Shocked Shocked oh wow, thats a hard one to beat wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I can't remember what it was called, but my wife once ordered a dish in Obergurgl that turned out to be three glass jars, each full of a different kind of lard. With bread to spread it on.

She figured it couldn't be as gross as it sounded.

She was wrong.
snow report
Tafelspitz mit Meerrettichsoße
snow report
@koru, Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
An astonishingly appetite-curbing thread. Almost the only one of these dishes I like is a well-made Gulaschsuppe.

Ditto, I do love a nice gulaschsuppe, but a well cooked schweinaxe, and a good apfelkuchen, are nice too, for those of us who don`t like lots of fat or sugar. Much of the rest however well cooked is not to my taste, too full of fat and/or sugar. But we are all different in our likes and dislikes!
snow report
koru wrote:
I can't remember what it was called, but my wife once ordered a dish in Obergurgl that turned out to be three glass jars, each full of a different kind of lard. With bread to spread it on.

She figured it couldn't be as gross as it sounded.

She was wrong.

Hmmm, different tastes for different folks. We got served that at Gasthaus Zu den 3 Hacken in Wien. Delicious. BTW: that restaurant still gets great reviews and thus well-worth a visit.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 3-02-19 18:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Mr.Egg, what is that?

Its donut like
Either cranbeery like the pic or sauerkraut

ski holidays
All of it is nice. You can’t go wrong.

I had some delicious sausages the other day in Zell am See. They were called Berner Wuerstel (no umlaut on my keyboard).
Goodness me they were so yummy.
They are sausages wrapped in bacon with cheese in the middle of the sausages (but only a bit).
latest report
@stanton, YES!!! Forgot that one but don't see it up on the huts too much.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kooky wrote:
@pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing oh yes, the girls at work always laugh at me for making that mistake too Embarassed Embarassed

@brandegg, its really good, try it!

I still think of of the best things on any huts menu is a Brettljause. Usually a large selection of home produced cheeses, meats, cold roast cuts often served with pickled veg, grated fresh horseradish (kren) spreads, sausages, basically anything the chef fancies plonking on your platter. They are great value, good for sharing too as they are always huge. They do vary vastly in price here though, from the fancy ones in Lisa Alm where they are served on a very artistic fancy washing line type board, seriously has to be seen to be believed, down to the ones where there is so much food I have to wrap it in serviettes and take it home for later Shocked

+1 on the Brettljause. Always entertaining watching peopls's faces when they think the horseradish is grated cheese, load it on bread and then take a bite...
ski holidays
I am not a cheese eater but there are excellent sausages with cheese in the middle so I have to mention the wurst kase scenario. (not an original joke I know).
latest report
@Sitter, Laughing Laughing hell yes! I fell foul to this while sampling one of MrTatmans "Bauern tequilas" That Kren picks a punch Shocked
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Mr.Egg, what is that?

Its donut like
Either cranbeery like the pic or sauerkraut

Ah yes...I have had one. It was lovely
snow report
@Steilhang, How did that work out for you?
latest report
All of it, one of the beauties of skiing in Austria.
snow conditions
Mmmmmmm grostl mmmmmmmmmm - just yummy!
latest report
Scamper wrote:
@Steilhang, How did that work out for you?
Everyone fell about laughing. Good result, albeit unintentional
latest report
I’ve had a fair few Groestls in the 4 weeks I’ve been here, but so far no Germknoedel and no Kaiserschmarrn.
I’m not sure if congratulations or commiserations should be in order.

I think this week could be the week though!
snow report
Hirsch or Wildragout too - depending on the variety a stew of venison, wild boar, or other hunted game meat.

Surprised to see so much love of Fleischkäs! It's basically just a slice of the churned up 'meat' you find inside a cheap frankfurter! Better option for a quick semmel filling from the super market is Schweinebauch - roast pork belly (with the crackling still on).

Käspressknödel is to die for too. A jausl is always good. Pumpkin soup - especially with Steirische Kurbiskernöl (Styria's famous for pumpkin seed oil). Marillenknödel (apricot dumplings) are delicious for desert too.

You'll never find it in a ski resort (mostly because it's only eaten for a few weeks in November), but Martinigansl is one of my favourite Austrian meals - roast goose, with chestnut stuffing, dumplings and rotkraut (red cabbage, served like sauerkraut).

@Kooky, are you far enough east to get Heurigen? So good during the summer, and one of the few things I miss from summers in Niederösterreich.
ski holidays
As has already been mentioned, Gulashsuppe is a must,

but I'll second roast goose with chestnut stuffing, rotkohl and klose, Oh mate, delish!

But then again I love some of the salad platers too, particularly the celeriac salad.
snow report
@gixxerniknik, Roast goose! Now you're talking. Is Austrian celeriac salad like French celeriac remoulade? I love that and often make it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy