Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for Weekend 7-10 March 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!

Myself and a friend are trying to do a weekend on the snow from Thursday 7th to Sunday 10th March. One flying from London (LGW/LHR) and one from Dublin. That particular weekend, the flights are crazy money. Is there any reason why that weekend is perhaps busy? Looks like school holidays are long over.

I'm only familiar with French resorts, and popped over to ones close to Geneva for short trips in the past (Flaine & Les Carroz).

I'm sure this pops up regularly, but can you recommend other short transfer resorts, and top tips for getting there/accommodation please?
Munich for instance? Kitzbuhel?

All advice appreciated!

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
French (Paris+) and Belgians are on hols 2nd to 9th.

Doesn't explain the flights as such but afaik these flights have been on sale for some time so not surprising they aren't cheap anymore.

As you say there are several threads about doing weekends. Just use the search facility.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Layne! So we might be better off looking to Austria, it seems.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The week from the 2nd to the 9th is the busiest of the season after New Year (see graph in this article https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/262722) its the main half term week in Germany, Austria and Italy as well as Paris and Belgium, though cant see why that would affect flights from UK & Ireland. If you fly into Munich then easy to get to Kitzbühel / Skiwelt, Zillertal and a few other places. Zürich is another option for Montafon, Arlberg even Serfaus / Fiss and Ischgl. Given that week is so busy you might find accommodation in very short supply.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, don't think so. Only one French zone, no Brits, Swiss or Dutch. Will be reasonably calm if not quiet in French resorts.

Previous week and the one before that will be busier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Balls. Booked that week back in October because there is usually a bit of wine tasting in Zell on the slopes that week! They've moved that until the end of March so double loose Sad . Ho hum, have a car, so will go and hide in Hochkonig or Pass Thurn.... Still, at least British half term week looks quieter than usual in Saalbach/Hinterglemm. Just realised I've hijacked your thread for a tangent, so I'd better add something!

Munich usually has a better range of flights than Salzburg and is cheaper, so is the car hire. Travel time to Kitzbuhel, Saalbach, Zell, Hochkonig is around 3 hours unless you cop a bad run. Hochkonig is a nice area for a weekend and you might have better luck in finding accomodation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That week is ALWAYS super busy. It’s the first one after the holidays end and it’s march so people want sunshine. Lots of people squeezing in a second trip/ short break too
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it’s Geneva you’re looking at flying into, it’s the Geneva motor show starting on 7th. Hence high flight costs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DJL,that week is carnival (Karneval / Fasching etc) week, Shrove Tuesday to the Brits. It is always the busiest week in the Austrian resorts, maybe less so the French ones. It is the main half term week in many countries, certainly those from which the majority of ski tourists come from. UK visitors form a pretty small percentage of visitors in most places.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to point out, to avoid confusion, only Bavaria has school holidays from 4th to 8th March. The are no Austrian school holidays then, although I think many people will have a day off on Fasching Tuesday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not a good weekend to pick for French resorts, as @Layne points out. Better subsequently though weekend flights are never cheap.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gaffmaster, what costs are you seeing when you say crazy prices? I'm doing a short trip from 6-9th March with flights from LGW to Geneva - and they came it at under £100 return each with easyjet , which I thought was pretty reasonable. We booked it back in January.

Maybe try tweaking the days you're going slightly - if you still have no luck, it may just be a case of being a little late to get a good priced flight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all your replies.

Handy Turnip, it was up around the £400 mark for Gatwick to Geneva return, at times that would allow working half a day Thursday and skiing almost a full day on Sunday.

Munich looks a lot cheaper for both of us. How's the drive to Ski Welt / Kitz?

Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gaffmaster wrote:

Munich looks a lot cheaper for both of us. How's the drive to Ski Welt / Kitz?

Cheers

Drive? Let the train take the strain, save getting stick in Munich Traffic with a check in time approaching.

[url=]https://bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml[/url]
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a look at flying into Turin - under an hour's transfer to Sauze D'Oulx.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy