Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski pass insurance vs winter sports cover

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! Doing the upcoming season in Portes Du Soleil. We’ve just got our season passes.

We’re going to be in France for 6 months total. And skiing for ~4 months of that. So we’re wondering whether the ‘Snowrisk’ season insurance purchased with the ski pass is a replacement for winter sports travel insurance cover?

Buying 6 months of travel insurance with winter sports is going to be spenny and I don’t want to shell out for it if it’s unnecessary!

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check if it includes third party liability cover. In case you have a collision and are deemed partly responsible for their injuries.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would definitely get travel insurance with winter sports cover obviously, this will cover repatriation back to the UK, which could be in an air ambulance. This is obviously expensive.
Never skimp on travel insurance, the ratio of premium versus potential payout, is probably one of the best value insurances you can buy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is "snow risk" insurance a new version of Carte/Carré Neige, or a completely different set up?

Cover for third party risk, and medical/repatriation is essential. Stuff like ski gear, losing catch, delayed departure etc is not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, I think it’s the local buy with ski pass cover
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Local to the Portes du Soleil? Instead of Carré Neige? When I got Carré Neige I got it through the local Club du Sport. I think it was good value, though I never had to use it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, Carré Neige is only available in Savoie.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Between the GHIC, ski pass assurance, and travel insurance, make sure you’re cover includes, from at least one of them -

Someone to come out from the UK to assist you after an accident.
Accommodation for them if they have to help during recuperation.
Flights and transfers for them to come out/return.
Medical repatriation flight home for you.

This might sound like overkill, but I have had to be the assistant to a relative injured skiing, who absolutely needed my help to get them home, drive the hire car, and onto a scheduled flight. That flight was nominally full, but we got four seats on it (one each side of the patient, plus mine). The big thing is that it’s in the insurer’s interest to get you home and this usually coincides with the injured person’s priority too. I’ve also had a colleague who simply was unlucky enough to go down with an unexpected but serious illness while skiing. Again, getting them home after a fortnight’s recuperation was done by their travel insurance. And with both of these, it was as much the logistical capabilities of the insurer that were as important as them covering the costs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rjs, thanks, I never realised that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't even consider going out for any winter sports holiday without full insurance. EHIC/GHIC and lift pass insurance doesn't cover all eventualities. It may be expensive, but if something goes wrong a huge bill on top is not worth risking, in my view.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I believe the OP will be referring to this offering:

https://www.snowrisk.com/

Unfortunately, all of the "general insurance conditions" documents on the "Insurance" page appear to be in French (regardless of whether you pick the English or French option). As with most of these insurance policies that are sold with the lift passes, it seems to cover a lot more than many people realise, although as I don't speak French it is a bit tricky for me to work out the detail of what it covers.

@charliebobgordon, in answer to your question, it depends what insurance cover you're looking for. You'll need to read the policy information and see if Snowrisk cover gives you what you're looking for.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I believe the OP will be referring to this offering:

https://www.snowrisk.com/

Unfortunately, all of the "general insurance conditions" documents on the "Insurance" page appear to be in French (regardless of whether you pick the English or French option). As with most of these insurance policies that are sold with the lift passes, it seems to cover a lot more than many people realise, although as I don't speak French it is a bit tricky for me to work out the detail of what it covers.

@charliebobgordon, in answer to your question, it depends what insurance cover you're looking for. You'll need to read the policy information and see if Snowrisk cover gives you what you're looking for.

You would be amazed at how good Google translate is!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IMV its sensible to have both.

Carré Neige (or the local equiv) pays for the Pisteur / heli rescue and gets you off the mountain, your winter sports Insurance will pick up the tab from the resort onwards to hospital and home.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GreenDay wrote:
IMV its sensible to have both.

Carré Neige (or the local equiv) pays for the Pisteur / heli rescue and gets you off the mountain, your winter sports Insurance will pick up the tab from the resort onwards to hospital and home.

Many of these insurance policies sold with the lift pass cover far more than rescue of the mountain. This one does. I've not checked the levels of cover but note the website talks about COVID cover and explicitly mentions repatriation to the UK.

Conversely, you winter sports insurance covers rescue off the mountain.

As I'm happy to pay up front for rescue and then claim it back, I've never purchased any of the insurance offerings sold with lift passes. If I was there for a season, I might choose the other option.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even though your travel insurance eventually reimburses you for heli-evac, heli-medic, heli-paramedic, domaine pisteurs and related charges, it's still a hassle getting and paying all these bills as they come in, after the event. Personally, I'm happy to pay the daily extra just to avoid the associated admin, having had to handle it previously. Also bear in mind that having the ski pass cover means the injured person doesn't have to provide charge details on admission - this is often at a point where they'll be hurt, dosed up with painkillers, and alone: in a heli-evac, the patient will usually arrive at the hospital before anyone else, as the helicopter can't usually take passengers.

The assurance that comes with the ski pass overlaps with the cover you get from good travel insurance winter activity cover. So you can manage without it. I can only say that in my experience, it's worth it to streamline the admin around an accident. But I'm sure that some people would say that it's not worth the ~£4 a day extra for that convenience.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 19-11-23 16:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I have some recent experience in the PDS where my wife fell and broke her pelvis. The blood wagon wasn’t going to do the trick so the pisteurs ordered a helicopter to take her to Annemasse hospital.
I had all the insurance details with me but the pisteurs were very relaxed about it and said that as long as I took the paperwork to their office that was all they required. I was given a couple of days to do that.
The only bill we received were from the pisteurs and that only came several weeks after the event. As the service had been so good, we paid that ourselves and claimed it back on the insurance.
snow report
Nickbrad wrote:
I have some recent experience in the PDS where my wife fell and broke her pelvis. The blood wagon wasn’t going to do the trick so the pisteurs ordered a helicopter to take her to Annemasse hospital.
I had all the insurance details with me but the pisteurs were very relaxed about it and said that as long as I took the paperwork to their office that was all they required. I was given a couple of days to do that.
The only bill we received were from the pisteurs and that only came several weeks after the event. As the service had been so good, we paid that ourselves and claimed it back on the insurance.

Similar story with my wife blood wagon/ambulance to the local clinic then ambulance to Annemasse hospital which had to paid before they let her out of the ambulance then 3 days in hospital before a private air ambulance home. Insurance company arranged everything. EHIC covered 80% of the surgical charges and the insurance company covered the balance plus daily charges direct with the hospital. Insurance company paid the pisteurs direct once the email bill came from them. Having the Snowrisk insurance as an extra would have made no difference to what ended up as a claim of about £25k.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy