Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last-minute booking - where would you go?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone...

First post here.. I've got the opportunity to book something last-minute for Jan 28th for 3 or 4 days, just for me. I'm an intermediate skier, looking primarily for good pistes and easy access to them, not so bothered about apres-ski. Did a trip like this on my own to chamonix last year, actually the buses etc weren't too bad when you don't have the kids with you.

Where would you go?

Cheers,

Joel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd fly to Salzburg and go somewhere near there.
Lots of snow!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@joelhopwood, Welcome to snowHead For me it would depend on where I could get flights too but anywhere in Austria and Eastern Switzerland is looking tempting at the moment, Zurich, Munich Innsbruck Salzburg etc should do the business.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd go to Chamonix - AGAIN. It's easy to get accommodation for short stays, and the Brevent area is in walking distance (Flegere linked) - not least the option for the Vallee Blanche.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had the best day's skiing of my life last year in Cham... we were a group of about 6 for an ESF lesson and he took us to Brevent, we got the cable car across and did a red called Charlanon (I think) which the instructor reckoned was in his top 5 pistes in the world! It was incredible. Freshly groomed piste with about 6 inches of fresh powder on the top. Then we went right up to the top of Brevent and did the Charles Boizon black down. One of those days you will never forget.

Quite fancy seeing something new though. Has snow arrived in Chamonix yet?

Cheers,

Joel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For a short stay & something new, you'd probably find somewhere in Bourg St.Maurice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got to agree with the hard sell on Austria just now. Can't comment on Cham, but for an intermediate looking for good pistes and easy access, end of January...given current snow depths I'd go to Austria..Anywhere bar some of the southern resorts. Just stick a random pin in the map and go.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@joelhopwood, yes. Oh, yes. Snow is here. I’m guessing we got a 100cms in the last 36 hours in town...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bodeswell wrote:
Got to agree with the hard sell on Austria just now. Can't comment on Cham, but for an intermediate looking for good pistes and easy access, end of January...given current snow depths I'd go to Austria..Anywhere bar some of the southern resorts. Just stick a random pin in the map and go.

How about Saalbach? Seen that mentioned on the forum a few times
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
long term pinch of salt forcecasts are showing France to be hit with Snow by next week.
So maybe fresh powdery fluffy stuff should keep your options open.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd go back to Westendorf, and ski over to Kitzbuhel and the Skiwelt. Reports from other snowHead lead me to believe it's fabulous right now.

Or indeed Saalbach! If you're not bothered about Apres and buses, maybe stay in one of the quieter villages or Hinterglemm?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Intermediate, easy access. 3v is about the best you'll get. After the Dolomites, of course
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@joelhopwood, I've heard mostly good things about Saalbach and it seems a Snowhead's favourite, though never been myself. Went to Fieberbrunn before the connection was built and had a very good time there. Great skiing.

Garmisch in Germany could also be worth a shout with the amount of snow they have there just now. Or Switzerland - Grindelwald gives you access to loads of good skiing around the Jungfrau. But with good snow cover down to the lowest valleys the options are staggering. Good opportunity to try something off the beaten track and maybe cheaper than the usual suspects too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had the best 4 days at La Plagne. Seems to match what you are looking for.

Cham is a no go imho - too disjointed for a short trip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
if your not to fussy where you go and you can do it last minute, just go by the weather forecast, look for the deepest snow and the sunniest sky and just go for it.
snow conditions
Want to book today to leave on Tuesday morning, where's looking best?
ski holidays
Just back from the Dolomites on the same thing
It seems as if they have no snow vs Austria but they have amazing snow making facilities. So if you like nice pistes and aren’t a powder bunny I can recommend anywhere there
snow report
Hmm.. Saalback takes too long to get to for a short trip. Might end up back in Chamonix... no bad thing!
snow report
@joelhopwood, Champoluc.
latest report
The Chamoix town centre webcam is showing lots of snow on the ground right now (17.37 on Saturday). There must be plenty up the hills.
ski holidays
joelhopwood wrote:
Hmm.. Saalback takes too long to get to for a short trip. Might end up back in Chamonix... no bad thing!

Salzburg to Fieberbrunn (Same ski area as Saalbach) is 1:15hrs.
Geneva to Chamonix is 1hr.
Not much in it.
snow conditions
Drammeister wrote:
joelhopwood wrote:

Salzburg to Fieberbrunn (Same ski area as Saalbach) is 1:15hrs.
Geneva to Chamonix is 1hr.
Not much in it.

"Not much in it" would only apply if Gatwick is your closest airport so that you can catch the only direct flight from the UK to Salzburg on Tuesday. Otherwise, indirect flights or additional travel time at the UK end are going to add significantly to your total travel time. Although, even if Gatwick is convenient, it might be difficult to justify paying £326 to get to Salzburg, when you can do Gatwick-Geneva for £33.
ski holidays
What a great opportunity!

Go skiing on your own ... no mates, no wives, no kids .... no compromise.

Where would I go?
I'd go somewhere where I could find new friends ... go to new places and let someone else take you to the best places.

I've always wanted to go to the Hotel Enzian in Landeck and get taken on a ski safari to places I may never go to on my own.

There is not much in the way of apres skiing in Landeck, but the hotel has a bar.
They claim to offer delivery and guiding to the slopes in a few local resorts, like
Stanton, Lech, Ischgl, Serfaus and others.

As you are going for just a 3 or 4 day break ... you may get lucky and find that they have some dates available.

You could fly to either Zurich or Innsbruck and take a train direct to Landeck.

And the snow is supposed to be fantastic there this year.

Gosh I wish I could get away for a few days.
Well ..... You asked, "what I would do"
snow conditions
the pyrenees look great at the moment
snow report
@joelhopwood, If you're still contemplating where to go, it seems that our spare bedroom is available in Saalbach - ski-in ski-out. PM me if interested. The eight times a day holiday shuttle will bring you to our door from Salzburg Airport in just over an hour, depending on traffic. Fantastic conditions here this season!
ski holidays
Right, well it looks like I'm off to Saalbach and staying with Richard. Can't wait. The only difficulty is flying back - don't want to waste Friday and take the morning flight from SZG, so will get the train to Munich and get the Evening easyjet back to LGW, my local airport. Should work out very nicely.

What a great forum - thanks for all the suggestions. Can't wait to sample some of this austrian mega snow Laughing
ski holidays
Just wanted to follow up and say I had a fantastic time in Saalbach with Richard and Christine, so thanks very much to them for making me so welcome. Richard and I skied pretty much the whole valley over 3 days. The resort, snow and apres-ski were all top notch.

I flew to Munich in the end and got the train to Zell-am-See. Will definitely be going back to Austria, the value for money is much better than the French alps, especially eating and drinking.

Off to Alpe D-Huez week after next too, will be interesting to see how it compares.

Cheers,

Joel
ski holidays
@joelhopwood, Cheers Joel. How come you made no mention of climbing on the bar to dance in the Underbar?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What goes in the Underbar stays in the Underbar, Richard! Great fun though.
snow report
Exactly! And i was ordered down pretty dam sharpish :-/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy