Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stockli Sx

Poster: A snowHead
Texted these last year, loved them & am wondering are they worth the money v Rossignol Hero for example which I also likes but not as much ... ???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess it depends on your budget. Are they worth the money? Yes, in my opinion. They’re a premium product produced in the most expensive country in Europe. If you can afford them, get them. You know you'll regret it if you don't.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That was the answer I was afraid I would get !!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS: Thanks for that reply !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah I guessed it might be. For what it’s worth though, Mrs telford_mike earns a living from skiing, and she wouldn’t ski on anything else.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had seen stockli SX on a ski cross race on TV so knew they were designed for that style of skiing ... then hired a set in Italy last year without any idea of their purchase price though the hire guy did say that they were a great ski ... After 10 seconds I said "Wow" & the whole day felt that I was somehow cheating by using such 'easy to ski well on' skis .. the rub was later when the ski hire guy laughing at my expression when he told me the purchase price
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
... a full year of surviving on beans and toast and I can just about justify getting a set this year ... They are one ski that I never see discounted in year end sales ... Can anyone out there recommend a good ski purchase shop in Canazei / Selva area for Stockli ???
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My instructor in Corvara this morning was very proud of his new Stockli Laser CX skis. If I remember, I’ll ask him tomorrow if he can recommend a good place to get them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KKGerro wrote:
... After 10 seconds I said "Wow" & the whole day felt that I was somehow cheating by using such 'easy to ski well on' skis .. the rub was later when the ski hire guy laughing at my expression when he told me the purchase price

Laughing
Nice. You WILL have loadsa fun snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks !!! .... I'm out there on the 19th ... 44 of us landing into Canazei & 12 more arriving in a week later .... Hope some of that snow that is causing havoc in Austria comes your way soon ... Am on webcam every day and runs look fine but brown fields isn't the look the gang want ... I wouldn't care except that I'm the one who talked them all into trying the Dolomites for once (I'm a total convert) instead not their usually trip to Soll ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KKGerro wrote:
... a full year of surviving on beans and toast and I can just about justify getting a set this year ... They are one ski that I never see discounted in year end sales ... Can anyone out there recommend a good ski purchase shop in Canazei / Selva area for Stockli ???

Theres a place in Falcade that sell Stockli, Holiday Sport. About 37km from Canazei. They also rent them out then sell them at the end of the season, price depending on how much the skis owe them after the season. They say the rental stock is exactly the same as the retail stock.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
... usual ...

Spell check keeps changing what I've typed in
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KKGerro wrote:
.. I wouldn't care except that I'm the one who talked them all into trying the Dolomites for once (I'm a total convert) instead not their usually trip to Soll ...

OUCH...plenty of muttering from the gang so far, I'm sure. But I'll wager, plenty of smiles afterwards (from the non-off-pisters).

Those skis on those pistes....MAMA MIA...you won't go home!! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
.... never want to go home from that area it's so spectacularly beautiful ... Have been there most seasons since 07 ... Great for one week a year intermediate 'mile munchers' .... I had special certs printed up this year to give to all those who complete the '100k in a Day' Dolomite ski challenge ... GPS /skitracks app switched on at first run & left on till end of village run ... Great day out from Canazei to the 10k run (x 3) & back clockwise through Arabba etc ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KKGerro, and the relevance to the ski in question is ...? wink
snow conditions
.. humble apologies for diverting off the original Stockli SX thread !!
ski holidays
KKGerro wrote:
I had seen stockli SX on a ski cross race on TV so knew they were designed for that style of skiing ...

The skis used for skier cross racing will have been the Laser SX FIS model, they are basically GS skis and will be very different to the Laser SX, which ones have you tried ?
snow report
I just hired the standard rental SX model ... I only ski for a few weeks a year recreationally so am not at FIS level & presume that more expensive skis still get damaged as easy on piste as rental / standard models ...

Might try the different models AX etc this year if available for rental and then decide ...
ski holidays
The Laser AX’s are so good for relaxed Dolomites type skiing with the odd half-hour of harder charging...

The INTERSPORT place near the Costabella chair in Selva VG rents them if you want to try.
latest report
Thanks for that ... I look forward to trying out the different models and assessing the results !!
snow report
Not sure if this helps but I spent last week skiing on my 2006 Stockli Stormrider XLs. Still bloody marvellous skis. I paid £500 w/o bindings for them in 2006 which seemed very expensive but they've been excellent value per day skied given the build quality and construction (albeit that they have been by "second ski" for hard snow conditions for the last ten years).

The edges are getting a bit thin now and it will be a sad day when I retire them. Despite the fact that I'd generally expect to be skiing something fatter and I generally like a bargain, I may still bite the financial bullet to replace them with some stockli (non FIS) GS skis because the stormriders have been so wonderful.
ski holidays
... could any of you experts please explain briefly the extra cost & quality of purchasing a FIS (racing standard) ski.
Presumably each one is custom fitted, costs a fortune & other than the decals is on a totally different level to the £900 Stockli SX I will rent* / buy in a ski shop in Italy.

*Also are rental models the exact same as the one you will buy new off a shelf in the same shop ???
ski holidays
KKGerro wrote:
...I will rent* / buy in a ski shop in Italy.

*Also are rental models the exact same as the one you will buy new off a shelf in the same shop ???

Per my earlier post, Holiday sport said yes they are the same. At least for their rental fleet.
snow report
Super .... Thanks for that clarification.
ski holidays
@KKGerro,

The big issue with FIS skis is that they are built to competition specs that make them a handful on non-closed pistes. Less so for SL but GS FIS skis have a big turn radius and are very stiff so need a lot of speed / edge angle to bend into a turn. Even if you are a very good skier that is difficult when you have other piste users to avoid.

For most brands, FIS skis are hand made using a different manufacturing process to normal retail models.
The think about Stocklis - and the main reason they are so expensive - is that (I think) ALL their skis are hand made in the same way as the FIS skis of other brands. Naturally they will typically made to more recreational dimensions and flex but they share the same very high quality construction methods.

This certainly used to be the case when I bought mine. It could have changed. Perhaps someone else can comment.
snow report
So on a scale of 1 - 10 normal rentals are a 2 to 4, Stockli are a 6, FIS skis are a 9 ..... Star team skiers get a custom no expense spared 10
snow report
jedster wrote:
The think about Stocklis - and the main reason they are so expensive - is that (I think) ALL their skis are hand made in the same way as the FIS skis of other brands. Naturally they will typically made to more recreational dimensions and flex but they share the same very high quality construction methods.

This certainly used to be the case when I bought mine. It could have changed. Perhaps someone else can comment.

I think this is correct.

Glad I got my old pair many handed for £50 from someone who knew less about skis than me.
latest report
Apparently Sport Kostner in Corvara are also highly recommended for Stockli skis but if you’ll be in Selva and have found a source there then sounds the best option.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm based in Canazei for the 2 weeks so will bring my own Head Premiums with me & look at the rental test to buy options in the stores recommend !!
Thanks for all the tips !!!
snow conditions
@KKGerro, Looks like Peak Sport in Canazei do Stockli. They are also a Blossom dealer which is another premium brand you might like to try.
snow report
rjs wrote:
They are also a Blossom dealer which is another premium brand you might like to try.

Heard about these. Their were quite a few skiing on Stockli in San Pellegrino (even more than I saw in Norway) but only one bloke on Blossoms and his looked an old model.

The UK distributor is http://ski-bitz.co.uk/

Nice bloke, met him at the London schools dry slope champs a few years ago.
ski holidays
Tested the Stockli SX + GS models. Loved the SX when I tested it last year .... jumped from 170 to 175 this year and found the extra length made them too hard to turn for my skill level / height. Then next day tried the GS model which I thought was amazing (for me) !!!!! .... I nearly ended up doing full circle turn when I first tested it at speed coming off the lift on first run. The absence of a solid plate under the boot means that the whole ski can Arc and the results were so good that I have definitely decided to purchase a set next season. Didn't this year as I had brought my old BBRs with me which were perfect for all the fresh powder that landed during this seasons three week stint in Italy. One meter fell the day I was leaving Canazei
snow conditions
What would happen if an intermediate piste skier got onto these?
snow conditions
They are not full race spec skis but an intermediate might find they were struggling to make tighter turns - need a bit of speed and angulation to bend them.
latest report
I have just met up with a friend of mine who does blacks and seems to be a good piste skier. He normally rents skis which rent for about £100/week, which would appear to be ones going (mail order) for about £300. He said he rented the Stockli Laser something, which were retailing for £1000 (and rented for £300/week) and he could not really see any significant difference. FWIW...
ski holidays
The ones I used were about €25 a day / €125 a week to hire .. worth it if you were testing skis with the intention of purchasing ! ... My last test was a set of Nordica Dobermans which I didn't like at all when compared to the Stockli GS set ... They seemed a lot less stable at speed under similar on piste conditions. When on last evening I was returning my rental skis out of curiosity I asked would they sell uses models and they offered me Ex Rental Stockli GS for €450 (€1100 New) ... Was very tempted at that price but as it was last night in resort I wouldn't have been able to test them before purchase so I will make that call when I return next season !
ski holidays
PS: €300 Seems very expensive for a weeks rental !!!!!
snow report
Apologies; it was 2 weeks' rental. So that sounds about right.

Good business to be in Smile I used to know a guy who rented out suits (for weddings and funerals). He got the cost back in 3 rentals. But he could not put the suit on Ebay when it was too soiled to be dry cleaned Smile
snow report
Skied the Stockli Laser AX on Saturday as my 12 yr old Volkl Supersports were in getting their summer service (last ski day of the season).
€25/day from Only Ski in La Thuile
Big mistake... Crying or Very sad
Now I need to decide whether I want to go skiing next year or buy myself a pair of shiny yellow dream machines!
Really easy to turn, stable at speed and ate bumps for breakfast - I'm just hoping someone will write a review that says they are hopeless in the soft stuff & I'll be able to talk myself out of this totally unnecessary, but oh so tempting, purchase.
CW Happy
ski holidays
Thought I should let you know that "they are great in the soft stuff !!!" ..... Wishing you the very best with your new skis & hope you have a great ski week in 2021 !!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy