Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Protective clothing for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Any suggestions on what sort of protective clothing I would require besides a helmet? Padded shorts, wrist Guards? Knee Guards? I’m just an advanced beginner, not likely to go off piste or freeride.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing, just a helmet. I believe wrist guards are popular with boarders.

The only other thing recreational skiers might use is a back protector.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well you have only left out a back protector & body armour.

need them?
up to you!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apart from a helmet, a back protector is the only thing some skiers may tend to wear. And I think that’s mostly related to the fear/risk of other people running into them from behind.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Themasterpiece wrote:
Apart from a helmet, a back protector is the only thing some skiers may tend to wear. And I think that’s mostly related to the fear/risk of other people running into them from behind.

or flying kicking them in the back Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been bodyslammed and bodyslammed people before LOL. The latter just off a ski lift because somebody panic froze right just off the landing. Gave her some velocity to start her skiing...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most people don't bother with anything bar a helmet. You can wear everything if you want, but probably not needed and no guarantee that anything will stop an injury.
Skiers on piste don't tend to slam hard when they fall, like snowboarders do, so no real need for padding.
Best protection is well fitting boots, and making sure that your skis' DIN settings are right, so that they release properly if you fall.
You forgot knee braces in the list, BTW Laughing (only joking; kind of...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends on you, I wore my dainese motorbike armour inc back protector when skiing. I reckon it has possibly saved me injury on at least 4 occasions, and only 1 of those times was it not my fault! I wouldn't bother with it if I was just cruising about taking it easy though.

You might be better off spending money on lessons rather than body armour!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How clumsy/fragile are you? Bear in mind that dressing like robocop will make the learning process harder, you'll be sweatier and slightly less agile.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gfmozart wrote:
I have been bodyslammed and bodyslammed people before LOL. The latter just off a ski lift because somebody panic froze right just off the landing. Gave her some velocity to start her skiing...

That's a bit worrying, unless you have brittle bones or a connective tissue disorder then IMHO you should only wear a helmet and become a more careful skier. The armour might help you be protected, but it certainly wont help whoever you 'bodyslam'.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It was fellow beginners losing control of their speed and I functioned as a human braking pad. Thankfully never so frequent and never Schumacher unlucky.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes wrote : , "How clumsy/fragile are you? Bear in mind that dressing like robocop will make the learning process harder, you'll be sweatier and slightly less agile."

Not clumsy and no more fragile than the average 50-something with dodgey knees. I found if I took away some of the fear of hurting myself, I learnt a heck of a lot faster.
Sweatier? Not really, I just wear the same number of layers as most others, it's just that one of my layers is the armour.
Less agile? I would say not noticeably, not in the skiing I did. But then again I was a recreational/holiday skier, not a racer.

I was just at the point with my skiing where I was thinking of not wearing it anymore, when I went over to the darkside, so need it once more!

I do fall over more than my mates but that could be because I push myself more than they do in the desire to improve: or it could be because of the Volvo effect!

Having said all that, it was a joy to take it off at the end of the day!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gfmozart, protection doesn't stop bad things happening, merely diminishes them but not always. Even with all that stuff you can still get very hurt if you do the wrong things. I'd always say you are better off spending the dosh on getting a sound technique and learning the FIS rules, choosing your terrain, knowing where to stop, looking up before you set off etc etc.

Bodyslamming really isn't worthy of a "LOL"
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pruman wrote:

Bodyslamming really isn't worthy of a "LOL"

Sure it does. Beginners do that despite their best efforts. So it’s either curse and return the equipment to the hire shop to never return again. Or LOL, preferably together.

Human braking pads are reasonably good alternatives to falling intentionally to avoid body contact, especially at low speed and confined space like getting off lifts.

Even as an advavced skier, I still managed to have body contact with others near lifts: groups not moving far enough away from unloading area. Not exactly body slamming, as I tend to use my shoulder (rather than my elbow) to create a pathway amongst said group standing blocking the way of people getting off lifts.

If I were not already wearing backpacks most of the time, I would consider at least a back protector. Body armor is another option.

It’s not so much to protect from serious injuries. But rather protection from minor bruises or sored spots from the impact. Why have the discomfort when it can be avoided with a layer of padding?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helmet and one or two manufacturers like Ortovox do backpacks with built in back protectors so you can kill two birds with one stone there. I tend to use my Ortovox Free Rider 16 when I need to chase my teenage daughters through the park.
ski holidays
davkt wrote:
Helmet and one or two manufacturers like Ortovox do backpacks with built in back protectors so you can kill two birds with one stone there. I tend to use my Ortovox Free Rider 16 when I need to chase my teenage daughters through the park.

Depends on what one puts in the backpack, there may not be much need for a dedicated protective layer.

(Also, many backpack already have a foam back for comfort, which serves as a protective layer of sort)
ski holidays
@abc, True, but if there is anything hard and unforgiving it the pack like a camera or a shovel think I'b rather have the slight weight penalty of the full on protection layer than taking that in spine!
ski holidays
davkt wrote:
@abc, True, but if there is anything hard and unforgiving it the pack like a camera or a shovel think I'b rather have the slight weight penalty of the full on protection layer than taking that in spine!

If I’m carrying a shovel, I would also be taking my avalung pack (which does have a rather beefy back layer)!

My backpack typically carries mostly extra clothing. And maybe a layer of water.

The last time I carried a SLR camera was something like 5-6 years ago. The situation where a slr is truly needed is continuously decreasing.

(Yes, I ski in the trees a lot. So my need isn’t universal)
ski holidays
If I have a camera it will be either a 5DMkIV or Panasonic GX8 M43, both built like tanks and would certainly win a fight with my back!
latest report
You don't "require" anything unless you're planning on bouncing off rails.
Statistically, beginner snowboarders could maybe consider hiring wrist guards for a day or two if they're not competent at falling already.

A shovel in a standard shovel pack it isn't a risk to your back; if anything there's a bit of protection there (although I'm not sure what against).
I do have a mate in a wheelchair who used to carry his ice axe stuffed between the back of the pack and his back. That is not a good idea if you're going to crash on it.

I've never broken a camera whilst snowboarding, although I always chest mount them so you'd have to crash on your face to get
close (and most people don't wear full face helmets because they mostly don't crash that way..).
latest report
Wear a thick layer of common sense
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy