Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two days Skiing near Munich?

Poster: A snowHead
Next week Mrs Wonkyski is away all week on a work trip. I finish work on Monday about midday in Munich and am the rostered to position home (on a company flight) in the afternoon. I then have Tuesday and Wednesday off before an afternoon report on Thursday. It’s occured to me I could stay in Munich and get to a nearby ski resort and get home on my own before my Thursday evening duty.
Any suggestions, without spending too much (got a holiday coming up in March) and suitable for an inexperienced skier? (Some skiing in Scotland last winter after not skiiing since my teens.)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Garmisch?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oberammergau?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpbach
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheap, beginner skier, daytripping from Munich: Sudelfeld, Spitzingsee, or Lengries. All reachable easily by train in under 90 minutes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are lots of possible places, especially at the moment as snow conditions are good.

Garmisch is certainly an option as it is easily reached on the train, it takes just over an hour from the main train station. The skiing is OK but there are probably better options.

There are a couple of other reasonable sized areas (ie more than one or two lifts) easy to get to by train, Lenggries and Bayerischzell perfectly OK areas but again not sure they are the best places.

Personally I would suggest going to Skiwelt just into Austria, it is possible by train but really best to hire a car. There are a number of valley bases Söll, Scheffau, Ellmau, Brixen, Westendorf plus a few more. In general the skiing is friendly, nothing too challenging, most of it is amongst the trees so good if the weather is not perfect (might be snow early next week). It should be no more than 1.5 hour drive from the centre of town (but 2.5 hours back to the airport in case you hit roadwork traffic jams). Westendorf gets recommended by a number of folk, nearby Brixen is central but the valley runs are best avoided by near beginners (easy to take the gondola back down). The best thing to find accommodation is look at the tourist office website https://www.skiwelt.at/en/search-accommodation.html on Saturday or Sunday (when places know they will have spaces not taken by folk staying for a week) or simply email the tourist office in the village you fancy.

For equipment hire I can recommend both Hansi's in Scheffau (next to the main lift / ticket office) and Gschwantler in Brixen (in the same building as the Skiweltbahn) but sure all the villages will have decent sport shops for kit hire.

One great attraction at Söll is the toboggan run, great fun, you can hire the toboggans from the sport shop next to the main lift, the run starts at the mid station and is floodlit.

There are plenty of other places too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good info, thanks. Been getting the ‘twitch’ flying into Munich frequently the last couple of weekd and seeing thd snow-covered Bavarian Alps.
Casual searching over a couple of pints is currently an issue for return. (My last company I could have simply delayed my return to base and traveled ‘off roster’ but this company a bit stricter.) Sure it’s work-out-able.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good info, thanks. Been getting the ‘twitch’ flying into Munich frequently the last couple of weeks and seeing the snow-covered Bavarian Alps.
Casual searching over a couple of pints is currently an issue for return. (My last company I could have simply delayed my return to base and traveled ‘off roster’ but this company a bit stricter.) Sure it’s work-out-able.
EDIT: Sorry for double post, nothing to do with being half-way down third pint, honest!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 28-01-19 18:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ 1 for ski welt. Loads of red/blues. Great snow atm. Driving is best and as others have said allow 2.5 hrs for drive to airport and keep waze on.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Waidring/Steinplatte ticks a lot of your boxes. Transfer by car from Munich airport is just under 2hrs assuming you're avoiding weekend and peak hour rushes, which it looks like you will.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munich_irish wrote:

Personally I would suggest going to Skiwelt just into Austria, it is possible by train but really best to hire a car. There are a number of valley bases Söll, Scheffau, Ellmau, Brixen, Westendorf plus a few more. In general the skiing is friendly, nothing too challenging, most of it is amongst the trees so good if the weather is not perfect (might be snow early next week). It should be no more than 1.5 hour drive from the centre of town (but 2.5 hours back to the airport in case you hit roadwork traffic jams).

I wouldn't think Soll would be an ideal base for an inexperienced skiier as the slopes are a bit steeper at this end of the Skiwelt. I'd go to Scheffau or Ellmau. Lots of blue runs around there. You could get a private lesson if you think you need it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kitzbuehel.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitz, without a doubt.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Westendorf or Kitz. Both have train stations or are an easy drive. Westendorf train station is in the valley and not in the (resort part of) the village, but a taxi can't be more than €10 or so.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiwelt by car avoids having to pay the Austrian motorway toll as you can drive as far as the Kufstein Sud junction, which is the requisite turn off, without having to buy the vignette. From there Scheffau was our go to resort for access to Skiwelt when we lived in Munich. If the roads are clear this has been done from Freising (next to airport) in a smidgeon over an hour <cough>.
latest report
I thought they changed the Austrian toll to be from the border or at most Kufstein Nord junction? Or did they change it back again and let people do that tiny bit for free?

From Munich... practically anywhere in the Tirol or Salzburgerland. Or Garmisch. Far too much choice.
ski holidays
Its still Kufstein North, you have to come off at Kiefersfelden to avoid paying the toll
latest report
@grazzenger, You have to have a vignette from the border now, it changed a couple of years back. Its only €10 so really not an issue one way or other. There are big fines and they have (apparently according to ADAC) high def cameras to check cars. You can divert through Kiefersfelden and Kufstein but not sure it is really worth it.

No chance of doing the drive in an hour from the airport, even if there is no traffic there are speed restrictions in a number of places on the autobahn. I live near the autobahn just to the east of Munich (so a bit nearer than Freising). I happily drive at 180km/h plus but never done the trip to Scheffau in under an hour.
snow report
@Wonkyski, the easiest resort to get to is probably Niederau. It's only an hour by train from central Munich to Woergl and then a ten minute taxi ride up to resort. Train takes away all the issues of driving to/from Munich airport - the traffic can really pile up around Munich, especially in bad weather around the Irschenberg, and I have had many a sweaty moment wondering if I was going to make the flight.

Niederau isn't the most amazing ski area but it is compact and you have the option to grab the bus along to Auffach and ski over to Alpbach, all on the Ski Jewel lift pass.

You can always change train at Woergl and head for places like Hopfgarten, Westendorf (although the station isn't really that close to the resort) or even Kitzbuhel - if you get accommodation near Kitzbuhel Hahnemkann station you have the best of all worlds IMV.

Some suggest Garmisch because it is in Germany and looks near. In reality it takes just as long to get to and is all a bit spread out when you get there. Even the Germans bypass it for Austria.

Really, why drive? "Let the train take the strain" as Jimmy Savile once said.
ski holidays
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, the ‘good idea in a pub’ yesterday evening hasn’t survived a couple of hours sober research this morning. I’m only realistically get one days skiing and can’t see how I can do it for less than £250. Thats not a huge amount of money over all but I probably don’t have the ski fitness to ski all day long yet so it is a bit expensive in that sense. Having just paid off a loan early and going on a big holiday in March, I think it’s a nice idea (and totally doable) but maybe not next week. I’ll have to find some other mischief to get up to while Mrs Wonkyski’s away!
Looking to the future, my company flies there every day and I can do a return flight on staff travel very cheaply so any time I get a three day weekend I could do it. The fact I happen to be in Munich next week isn’t such a huge advantage after all.
ski holidays
@Pruman, disagree about Garmisch. I go there frequently, but only during the week. Can get full at weekends. The Kandahar is my all time favourite high speed hooning run. The glacier is fantastic on a powder day...Well worth it for a couple of days. Easy connection by train. What's not to like?
snow conditions
Wonkyski
Im assuming you have accommodation in Munich, its easy to catch an early train right to the bottom of the Hahnenkamm and get a decent days skiing in and back to Munich afterwards. A Bayern ticket of 25 euros to Kufstein, then an OBB ticket return to Kitz wont be that much more. A day pass on a Wednesday early bird before 9-30 is 45 euros a day. Nowhere near £250 even for 2 days.
I see Aberdeenshire in your title, I was born and bred in Huntly until I left home to get a career.
ski holidays
@jafa, No, I don’t have accomodation. I fly into Munich then go back to home base (Bristol now) in the afternoon before my two days off. Hence my idea of staying rather than go back to an empty house. I can see the travel from Munich to the slopes is quite simple, but adding up travel, ski hire, lift pass, two nights accomodation and flying home, it does rather add up for one ski session! I think in rectrospect, a properly planned longer trip would be better. And Mrs Wonkisky wants to come too anyway!
ski holidays
One day trips can be quite expensive, yes you can get combi train tickets for Garmisch and Lenggries, fine if you are a local, live near the train station, know your way around and also have your own ski kit. Realistically a one day trip to one of the Austrian resorts is best done by car (I much prefer train travel and have tried all the options over the years but unfortunately car is much easier), the costs soon add up by the time you have pass, ski kit, travel and some food you wont be left with a lot of change from €150 so £250 for a couple of days seems in the right sort of area. Yes you can do it cheaper but not easily, skiing is not the cheapest sport Sad
snow report
Although of academic interest as the original poster has scrubbed his plans, I seem to recall that the train from Munich Airport seemed to take an age to reach Munich central railway station. Is that so or is my memory playing tricks? Only did it the once when an Innsbruck flight was diverted...
snow conditions
@LOTA, 45 mins?
ski holidays
@LOTA, either 41 or 44 minutes depending on whether you take the S1 or the S8. Not so bad really.
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
@LOTA, either 41 or 44 minutes depending on whether you take the S1 or the S8. Not so bad really.

Not too bad, as you say. I suppose I had been spoilt by Zurich Airport railway station - down two flights of escalators and on to a train to the mountains or 11 minutes to the main Zurich railway station! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Really want to do it. Part of me’s been thinking ‘sod it, you only live once’ etc ...but funds aren’t infinete (had a couple of big expenses recently and hols coming up) Next season, I’m hoping Mrs Wonkyski and I can be properly prepared and go and do it properly.
ski holidays
Really want to do it. Part of me’s been thinking ‘sod it, you only live once’ etc ...but funds aren’t infinete (had a couple of big expenses recently and hols coming up)
Next season, I’m hoping Mrs Wonkyski and I can be better prepared and go and do it properly.
Guess my original thought process was influenced by living 90 minutes away from the Scottish ski centres last year. A simple day out, £70 for fuel, ski hire, lift passes and food for a nice afternoon skiing. Clearly this would be a little more involved and expensive!
snow report
Train is cheap and easy to Schliersee (Spitzingsee), Bayrischzell (Sudelfeld), Bad Tolz (Lenggries) and Garmisch. Single accommodation mid week should be possible for ca. 50 per night if you look around. Lift passes are cheap (apart from Garmisch). Don't know what ski rental costs.

It is possible to keep costs down. I once stayed three nights in Oberau in a windowless attic under a slanted roof (couldn't stand up) for 15 per night incl. breakfast to ski Garmisch, Oberammergau and Mittenwald. It was great fun.

Conditions are perfect around there at the moment. I wouldn't miss it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy