Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alps ski and snowboard theft

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.facebook.com/154055891350792/posts/2073709149385447/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I was there many years ago, there was a gang stealing skis....especially from the Restaurant at the first stage up, where all the ski schools meet. They would then take the bubble down and disappear.

I had some brand new (newly out) rented Salomon Crossmax stolen.....and only after they were nicked, did the shop inform me of what was going on.

I had them insured by both the shop and my insurance, so was not out of pocket.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
is this a big thing in France now? or has it always been?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sack the Juggler, it’s everywhere not just France
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No easy solutions to this either. We all leave ski's & poles outside a restaurant or bar without batting an eyelid! When its your own gear, it can cost £300 - £400+, would you leave an iPad, iPhone, etc out there?! You just trust that everybody on the mountain is a decent person!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
L2A is somewhere I would definitely not leave skis unlocked in town
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Due to a mate having his snowboard nicked - £600 board with £300 bindings. Now keep my board with me at all times. Not sure on the costs of Skis etc, but certainly see more boards locked up around than anything else. Not sure if due to the relatively high cost or not?!? (or ease of locking a single item up).

If I have to go into a restaurant etc where I can't sit right next to my board - then I grab the cable lock out of my backpack. It is a pain, but despite having insurance, would rather the 30 seconds of hastle than claims etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There needs to be a decent sentence/lop off for anyone caught.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@oneglove, I like your name....was the other one stolen? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Old Fartbag, it was lopped off Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are ways to make this less likely to happen to you.

- make sure your skis aren't the nearest ones to the piste / lift station. e.g. put them in the centre of a ski rack, on the side facing away from the piste. Then they're more awkward to reach.
- put them in the middle of the most densely-packed area of the rack. Safety in numbers.
- if you're skiing with somebody else, swap one of their skis with yours (while you're in the restaurant, not while you're skiing!!). No one will steal an unmatching pair!

Or use a lock.

Make sure you're not one of the easiest targets. It doesn't reduce the risk to zero, but...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oldfartbag leggy blonde , snowHead you should get married.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
denfinella wrote:
There are ways to make this less likely to happen to you.

- make sure your skis aren't the nearest ones to the piste / lift station. e.g. put them in the centre of a ski rack, on the side facing away from the piste. Then they're more awkward to reach.
- put them in the middle of the most densely-packed area of the rack. Safety in numbers.
- if you're skiing with somebody else, swap one of their skis with yours (while you're in the restaurant, not while you're skiing!!). No one will steal an unmatching pair!

Or use a lock.

Make sure you're not one of the easiest targets. It doesn't reduce the risk to zero, but...

I’ve had a pair of split ski’s stolen. Two completely different size, colour and style. In hind sight I always put the smaller ones facing out somits obvious as well as tak8ng a few seconds to turn around and check them once I’ve gotten out of sight.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oneglove wrote:
Oldfartbag leggy blonde , snowHead you should get married.

Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bizarrely some of the recovered skis were stolen last winter. A friend, an instructor here, has had hers returned after almost a year. Something like Dynastar Cham 97s. I would have expected them to be sold on pretty quickly.

The local Gendarmes have been very proudly publicising their success far and wide.
snow conditions
Fair play to the Gendarmes.
A few years ago in Les Deux Alpes I left my skis in the snow (stupidly beside a road) when I went to collect my daughter from the creche.
Came out to see white van man trundling down the road with no skis to be seen.
ski holidays
We got back from L2A yesterday. Met a fella in the first cable up who’d had his hire skis stolen on Monday. Did the police report, they told him 5 pairs were reported stolen that day. Said although they’d caught the guy with £14k worth of skis, they hadn’t caught his gang. And yes his were stolen from that same restaurant.
latest report
steviet865 wrote:
We got back from L2A yesterday. Met a fella in the first cable up who’d had his hire skis stolen on Monday. Did the police report, they told him 5 pairs were reported stolen that day. Said although they’d caught the guy with £14k worth of skis, they hadn’t caught his gang. And yes his were stolen from that same restaurant.

I reckon I was there around 19 years ago (when were the original Salmon Crossmax first released?)....so little has changed, it would seem.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 30-01-19 21:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Claude B wrote:
Bizarrely some of the recovered skis were stolen last winter. A friend, an instructor here, has had hers returned after almost a year. Something like Dynastar Cham 97s. I would have expected them to be sold on pretty quickly.

The local Gendarmes have been very proudly publicising their success far and wide.

Not exactly top coppering. Would be easy enough to attach some sort of sim based tracker under a hollowed out binding plate and run a sting operation with trap skis if they wanted a systematic clampdown I would guess. Give spyderjon the device and he could probably rig it in 30 mins including milling out the plate.
latest report
brovert wrote:
I’ve had a pair of split ski’s stolen. Two completely different size, colour and style. In hind sight I always put the smaller ones facing out somits obvious as well as tak8ng a few seconds to turn around and check them once I’ve gotten out of sight.

Whaaat?! That's annoying. There must be a market for unmatching skis... Shocked
snow conditions
@radar, would say France is more prevalent for this in my experience . . .have experienced / witnessed it first hand

The Swiss certainly don't need to steal anything - they steal from you by charging for everything anyway including tap water!
snow report
Oops

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 31-01-19 10:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Double oops

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 31-01-19 10:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
buffoon . . . Shocked
ski holidays
Cable locks are tiny and cost less than £15.

You wouldn't leave a £1k bike outside a shop unlocked so there is no excuse for not using one.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
Cable locks are tiny and cost less than £15.

You wouldn't leave a £1k bike outside a shop unlocked so there is no excuse for not using one.

That's the thing, yes you would.. almost every club ride with cake stop... there must be £75,000 worth of bikes (25 biles @ £3,000 each) leaning against the wall outside the coffee shop unguarded and unwatched.. very rarely do you hear of any theft from them either!
ski holidays
I always cable lock the family bundle of skis together through the brakes - but i have to say - i seem to be the only one doing it in the pDS
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy