Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada or stick to the alps ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you're happy with driving, which seems to be the case, then maybe go somewhere you can drive around. That way you can maybe avoid the crowds, find the best snow, and see a bit more of the continent than if you're just rounded up by some tour operator and parked in some Disneyland resort. Which may be a very good resort, but may or may not be what you want, and most certainly isn't typical.

I don't find a lot of hassle going to North America generally - there's the extra ETA/ESTA hassle, but we're going to have those for travelling to Europe soon too. The main issue is additional flight length/ cost, and associated jet lag. As far as "being there", perhaps it's because I spend more time there than in Europe, but the language is easy to understand and accommodation easy to find.

Resort sizes (skiable area, number of lifts) appear very different between Europe and America, but different organisation means that's a less significant issue than at first appearance. Riding alone in-bounds off-piste is one of the best things ever.

You will probably get a cheaper deal with "an operator", and for a first visit it may also reduce stress, especially with a family. It's really easy to sort things yourself though, and more flexible.

There's a vast range of places to go, and they're mostly structured very differently from the Alps. Whistler is a "good introduction" because it's very like a European resort, as are some of the big USA resorts. After that it depends what you like - Revelstoke and Whistler are very different places, both of which I visit a fair bit, but they're very different experiences. I can't tell you which you'd prefer.

Quote:
whistler is huge and can be huge cost , not been since vail resort took over

It's still the same. The locals reckon that the Epic pass has made more of a difference, shifting the ability level down somewhat, increasing the numbers on easy trails but leaving more of the good stuff for them. It's probably wishful thinking.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
whistler is huge and can be huge cost , not been since vail resort took over
It's still the same. The locals reckon that the Epic pass has made more of a difference, shifting the ability level down somewhat, increasing the numbers on easy trails but leaving more of the good stuff for them. It's probably wishful thinking.

have been a regular at whistler for a while now and have to say I was worried by the vail corp take over , but I would say my fears were mainly unfounded , main changes are being seen around the village with a general uplift in the feel of the place , the epic pass has definately had an effect on the dynamic at whistler , but the good stuff still gets shredded dam quick , the new lift access on Blackcomb is a definite plus for me
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler is awesome. Big vertical, big resort with North American service. But, it's low and near the coast so it often rains.

Banff is much more.snow sure, awesome scenery bit bloody cold.

Before Europe.sorted its queue issues, North America was worth the trek. Now, I'm not so sure.

Colorado powder is something else though on the relative safety of the bowls.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For us as a family of three it’s always been much cheaper for what we want in Banff to do it DIY. I think that’s because what we are looking for is harder to find with tour ops. Basically self catering is limited in Banff, something to do with the National Park and subletting. So we look for hotels with suite rooms, not always available with tour ops. It’s certainly very easy to organise it yourself.

Why do we keep returning to Banff? Well it just seems to work for us. It always feels more of a holiday, with lots of other stuff to do, especially outdoors. The quality of tuition for children is superb with small groups. The slopes have a mixture of tree lined slopes and open bowls. And now I consider myself a decent intermediate I love the ungroomed safe inbounds, yet ‘off piste’ stuff. MrsJ who’s just as good as me but less confident loves the open empty slopes. I love skiing the Alps, and I do miss the restaurants and apres ski but something about the Canadian experience keeps drawing us back
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy