Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Burning Quad...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After an hour or 2 of boarding I get a burning front quad muscle on my back leg, it's worse when I do lots of powder / off piste riding, as my weight is usually on my back leg to keep the board nose up.
I'm pretty fit, I do plenty of cycling, yoga etc, but I do have massive thighs / quads. Maybe it's my technique? Anyone experienced something similar?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Besides increased or balanced physical leg exercise which may not be your issue , a powder design is part of going the distance over hours, day after day .
On non powder designs you could set the bindings back as this will help to a degree but its not going to beat the tool designed for the job .

Which means in practice you will use alot more energy on the wrong equipment so ride less on the best days .
Alot of people cant process this yet a surfer that was starting snowboarding probably would .

Powder depths once deep will highlight high energy use especially in tight trees , surface area helps even though all the downsizing carp is believed .
Boot top depths with a base just below the surface you will tend to get away with a less specific design over short periods .
The right wax or even all temp wax helps alot on run outs saving energy over long weeks in powder so if you have it you tend to want the glide again every three days or so .
My diy wax jobs dont last so long but are well worth it .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pretty normal. Training pays dividends for sure, but it's hard to train specifically for snowboarding without, well, going snowboarding.

Powder will always be more tiring although, as above, a powder-specific board will help (or set the bindings back on a normal board).

I'm a full-time snowboard instructor and, in the summer, a full-time mountain bike guide so I have ridiculous quads but my legs (and feet) still hurt the first few days of each season. Takes a couple of weeks before my legs start to feel strong. Not sure how I ever coped with 6-day holidays back in the day!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty normal. Training pays dividends for sure, but it's hard to train specifically for snowboarding without, well, going snowboarding.

Powder will always be more tiring although, as above, a powder-specific board will help (or set the bindings back on a normal board).

Good technique will also help, hard to advise anything specific without seeing you ride but better riders are more efficient on their boards so get less tired.

I'm a full-time snowboard instructor and, in the summer, a full-time mountain bike guide so I have ridiculous quads but my legs (and feet) still hurt the first few days of each season. Takes a couple of weeks before my legs start to feel strong. Not sure how I ever coped with 6-day holidays back in the day!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks ! I have a Jones Explorer which is a powder board more or less , maybe I should set the bindings back a bit
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mrvinegar wrote:
After an hour or 2 of boarding I get a burning front quad muscle on my back leg, it's worse when I do lots of powder / off piste riding, as my weight is usually on my back leg to keep the board nose up.
I'm pretty fit, I do plenty of cycling, yoga etc, but I do have massive thighs / quads. Maybe it's my technique? Anyone experienced something similar?
A different perspective...

Actually that's not remotely "normal", once you know how to ride powder. The back-leg thing is where your problem will be, probably accompanied with as stiff front leg acting as a sort of outrigger/ reverse tiller. In novice terrain you'll get down a few runs, but I've never seen anyone ride good terrain all day that way.

If you're having the same thing on piste then that's a bit of a slam dunk.

There's no real need to "keep the nose up" in powder; modern powder boards often ride very low.
They tend to have a set-back stance by default, and are designed to be ridden in powder on the reference stance.

The Jones Explorer is set back already on reference. I've not ridden it, so I don't know if it's really a "powder board" or a general-purpose thing.
Ask someone who has (and who has good technique) to tell you where they set their's for powder.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I dont believe it is a powder shape more a all mountain std directional with a easy riding slow speed sidecut .
( I would go as far to say its nothing more than a "updated" 99 supermodel with one less layer of glass ie biax instead of std triax )

Jones makes powder designs and powder designs work in powder ...the base depths ,fresh depths and density of the powder makes a difference as does the terrain .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This thread is interesting https://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/12956-help-sore-quad-rear-leg-only-2.html

Maybe I am "ruddering" too much and relying on the back leg to steer
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Out teaching newbies this morning so riding my twin-tip, full camber 157 submarine. Caught one of the top chairs just as it opened after my lesson and got a few fresh and DEEP laps in.

My back leg is destroyed. wink

I actually agree with Phil, good technique helps a lot but again it’s hard to say without seeing you ride.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy