Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why are there so many idiots on the slopes?/Pole-tapping

Poster: A snowHead
foxtrotzulu wrote:
On a slightly different note, am I alone in sometimes 'indicating' before I turn?

Obviously not an Audi driver Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest I'm beginning to see the wisdom of those pricks blaring tunes from their bluetooth speakers.

Perhaps Don't Fear the Reaper on repeat for those into meta jokes?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@abc

abc wrote:
@bashing, how do you know someone is creeping up from behind you?

Sometimes I know from the sound of board/ski scraping the snow, but obviously how far/loud the sound travel depends on riding style/snow condition/weather.

abc wrote:
Do you look behind frequent? Or you just don’t want to know, period?

Rarely. Mostly when crossing/joining the piste, but technically I can't look behind because my neck can't rotate 180 degrees... it's more like looking sideways. Most of the time I can't be bothered to look behind... ahem sideways because I need to pay attention to what's in front of me in the first place. If someone want to overtake me then go ahead, just don't crash into me snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair, is that Meteo Morris?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
leggyblonde wrote:
Me too, especially if its a heel-side turn.

Yes, it's a tad trickier to check up slope in that case, so I guess that's the turn I'm most likely to indicate.

Thing is, if you're at speed, you need to dedicate 95% attention to what's ahead, and need to avoid any imbalance due to craning the head around. When milliseconds are critical, an arm can be put out immediately, whereas a visual scan may have to happen a bit later. If there is a skier overtaking on that side that hasn't quite allowed enough room, then this signal could avert a high speed disaster (even if the uphill skier would be at fault).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair wrote:
Latest in ski suit designs:

One for Alistair Pink maybe Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pinhead, my stepD is doing this season in Banff. Looking fwd to catching up with her at the start of March. She is having a blast (reckon we won’t see her this side of the pond til 2102). I’ve not skied in NA yet. Will be good to experience slope etiquette in BC.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Will be good to experience slope etiquette in BC.

Organised and polite lift queues, friendly chat on chairs, and slopes are a lot less crowded so little need for pole tapping.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Things could be worse. You could get hit with a paternity suit................

http://youtube.com/v/9BBZVQ4zBcU
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
People are way overthinking this.

If I see someone in front of me that is a newbie, I just give them a wide berth. Before I enter a cat track, I slow down, and check the line and make sure that there is enough space to move/stop if need be.

Its not that hard.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Lilledonmarco,

exactly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lilledonmarco wrote:
People are way overthinking this.
Its not that hard.

Yes, most people 'get it'.

Unfortunately, there is still a dangerous minority, such as the OP, who like to shirk their responsibility to their fellow man by cleaving to the notion that the skier/boarder/pedestrian ahead of them can be culpable for causing/risking collision.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And in the news today, Gwyneth Paltrow is being sued for $3m by a man she allegedly hit skiing in Deer Valley, Utah. Guy claims she hit him from behind and left him with concussion and broken ribs, she claims she was downhill.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
While boarding has the disadvantage of a blind side, the up side is that unless traversing on the heel edge, its pretty easy to look back up the slope and see what's behind you.

Somebody made the analogy about how your awareness changes when you go from driving a car to driving a motorbike, which reminded me of my conversation with the salesman in the bike shop when I bought a Ninja ZX7RR which the previous owner had made plenty of modifications to make an already crazy fast bike even faster. I opined that the smaller mirrors gave a good view of my shoulders and not much else. The salesman replied that I would only ever need to be looking ahead as NOTHING would be closing in on me from behind.

I guess this is similar to the guy in the ski shop selling the straight-line-o'matic fat-crow 3000s, when the punter asks are if they difficult to turn on chop or boiler plate, and he replies saying that with these bad boys you are automatically the worlds best skier, and need not worry about the small details that trouble people with lesser skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
peter_h wrote:
So, to summarise, and ignoring the personal attacks which are typical on snowheads, is the following correct:

(1) a slope user who is STATIONARY should look uphill before moving

(2) a slope user who is MOVING (no matter how slowly) does not have to look uphill before moving

What is the situation where one slope user comes up from behind you, gets in front of you, and slows down so you go into him? You were up slope at the moment of impact so you are at fault - is that correct?

Yay, he's got it.

As someone who skis and boards (approx 60/40) I have far more problems with out of control skiers. It is almost impossible for a skier to look uphill before every turn as it is for a boarder to survey his blind side. As fellow slope users, it's easy to see where other users blind spots are and avoid putting yourself in them. With regard to people sitting around on the slopes, my biggest problems are normally with huge groups of skiers standing anywhere they choose, normally close enough to another group that they almost block a narrow piste.

It sounds like the OP needs to slow down and get over his own importance/omnipotence.
latest report
The Paltrow case sounds like a doozy. One wonders about the reliability as a witness of the instructor who was presumably being paid handsomely to look after the celebrity and then yelled at the victim a bunch before doing the hit n run ski off.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/30/gwyneth-paltrow-sued-over-collision-on-ski-slopes-utah-lawsuit

Anyone with a VPN/outside the EU who can post trial updates from the Salt Lake Tribune?
snow report
YAWWWWWWN
ski holidays
dode wrote:
@pinhead, my stepD is doing this season in Banff. Looking fwd to catching up with her at the start of March. She is having a blast (reckon we won’t see her this side of the pond til 2102). I’ve not skied in NA yet. Will be good to experience slope etiquette in BC.

Banff can be a fun place, but snow can be hit or miss. Skiing offpiste is the biggest difference around here, most Blacks do not see grooming.. March is a great time to come to this area, although the El Nino doesn't help. Enjoy your trip.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:

As someone who skis and boards (approx 60/40) I have far more problems with out of control skiers. It is almost impossible for a skier to look uphill before every turn as it is for a boarder to survey his blind side. As fellow slope users, it's easy to see where other users blind spots are and avoid putting yourself in them. With regard to people sitting around on the slopes, my biggest problems are normally with huge groups of skiers standing anywhere they choose, normally close enough to another group that they almost block a narrow piste.

Yup even though my recent time has been much more heavily skewed to skiing it's still skiers I see causing most of the problems. That's not to give boarders a free pass but the "young punk anti authority" attitude attributed to them is so outdated. Standing around having a nice middle clasee conversation is still blocking the slope and the skill level of some deluded piste donkeys is something to behold - at most you could say they've mastered the art of balancing precariously at speed and shoulder heaving for turning. At least boarders who are bad enough to be a real danger don't stay upright long. And the doozy is the multi family group. Not necessarily young kids but stick 2 or more teenager famailies together with some aunts/uncles grandparents and watch the perils of people skiing far too close to each other and pulling ridiculous moves to stop in a bunch as if no one else exists.
snow conditions
Pole tapping? This isn’t another Brexit thing is it?
ski holidays
@Fridge03, no, pole tapping was divisive on SHs way before the word Brexit had entered the English language. Comes up every year or two.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

And the doozy is the multi family group. Not necessarily young kids but stick 2 or more teenager famailies together with some aunts/uncles grandparents and watch the perils of people skiing far too close to each other and pulling ridiculous moves to stop in a bunch as if no one else exists.

That's my pet hate - big groups of crap skiers who insist on hunting as a pack. I don't know why they do it. Doesn't look any fun whatsoever.
snow conditions
The worst case I ever came across of idiots on the slope was up the valley from Kitzbuel, somewhere near Jochberg.
My wife was going up a T-bar which happened to go up over a cat track traversing slight downhill slope.
I was following up on the next T

An Austrian skier snow-ploughing down the path was screaming at her to get out of the way and then crashed into her and took her out.
Honest .. he was was screaming in German with an Austrian dialect.

Extremely unrepentant, and gobby.

Its hard to imagine an Austrian who cant ski well ... but they do exist.
snow conditions
Frankly most concerned that you considered that Blue run to be "orgasmic".
Yes, I watched it to the end.
It wasn't honestly..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy