Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Lightweight Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hey There,

In the market for new Ski Boots.

Do you guys know of any good reviews on super lightweight all mountain boots?

I have been looking at the Atomic Ultra Hawx, but I'd love any other suggestions.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some that fit?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A really valuable response, thank you, Rogg.

Back to the question...any impartial recommendations from people who review/sell boots?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@venevi, welcome to snowHeads. Very Happy

I don't do touring, but presumably there are touring boots (which I think are lightweight by definition) which also work well for downhill. After all, touring consists of going down as well as up. I hope someone comes up with some helpful suggestions for you, apologies for my own ignorance on the subject.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@venevi, I've just noticed another thread which could be helpful:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=140748&highlight=
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, @hurtle - much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just had a pair of those Atomics fitted, incredibly light. And super comfortable but to be fair that’s prob down to Colin’s fitting!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swishtony, thanks bud - where did you get them fitted?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@venevi, Colin at Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester. 4 hour drive for me but worth every drop of fuel!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The regular Atomic Hawx range is now pretty damn light compared at least to standard of 5 or so years ago. Is the Ultra just one of the regular boots and the XTD the even lighter touring version - the brand extension of the Hawx name is utterly confusing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@venevi, I know that the response from @rogg, wasn’t directly helpful, but unless you are a racer chasing fractions of a second, or are incredibly lucky to have identical matching feet that perfectly match a particular manufacturers boot, the fit and fitting of ski boots makes a massive difference.

Super lightweight used to mean around 1800g, but now it’s around 1500g. Much below that and you start trading downhill performance for up hill touring ability. Normal 3 or 4 buckle overlap boot ski far better downhill, than the lighter weight tongue boots that are better for touring.

As mentioned above, define exactly what you want the boot for, note down any problems you have had in the past, then contact one of the many quality boot fitters. If they think the Atomic Ultra Hawx is a good option, the all’s well, if not follow their recommendations Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@venevi,

IF your feet are the right shape then the "cabrio" style 3 piece boots derived from the Raichle Flexon are significantly lighter than conventional 2 piece 4 clip boots. The two key manufacturers are Full Tilt and Dalbello (Krypton range). Not everyone gets on with these boots but those that do tend to be very loyal to the the design (including some famous names)- it's a bit of a cult. I'm a fan
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
should say these are alpine (downhill) boots
Although both do some models with tech fittings etc which are aimed more at freeride than pure touring
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
The regular Atomic Hawx range is now pretty damn light compared at least to standard of 5 or so years ago. Is the Ultra just one of the regular boots and the XTD the even lighter touring version - the brand extension of the Hawx name is utterly confusing.

I think the Ultra is the narrow/lower volume version?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, Ultra is the 98 last, narrowish heel model. I have some, best boot yet: but not "super lightweight" by any means. Lighter than my last pair, but not as light as snowboard boots.
Get a pair that fit, then if there's choice, choose weight.
latest report
Hawx for the win.

Always surprised the ski industry does not make more of lightweight gear.

Lots of fat, rich, old skiers would jump at the chance of paying more for less.

A lighter jacket, hat, turtleneck, pants, socks, glasses, boots, skis and poles could shaveoff pounds of weight for sweaty riders.
snow conditions
Someone tossed one of those Hawx lightweight boots at me the other day - they're amazingly light.
It's about time boots got lighter, if only to lighten up my hand-baggage.

Many of the current generation Atomic boots have that fancy ride/walk mode thing which makes them very useful for split boarders or just snowboarders in general because you can fit spring systems in there and adjust the flex that way instead of relying on the shell construction.

The Atomic Backland Ultimate is 750g a boot. The Ultimate is a bit extreme (no tongue!), but the standard Carbon model doesn't weigh much more and looks pretty tidy.
latest report
@Whitegold, I totally agree with you!
snow report
@whitegold you have a point, look at porsche with the gt3..... unfortunately I fall into the category of preferring lighter gear but within reason (I am not adding up the grams on individual gear), I wish i fell into the category of rich!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy