Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Contesting French speeding ticket?

Poster: A snowHead
I got a speeding ticket for going at 80 kmph in a 70 kmph zone on the A9. I remember the section, it is 4 lanes reduced to 2 very narrow ones for road works, and with the trucks on the inside lane one side it was a bit hairy, I probably went at 80 to get past them into a safer space on the road, has anyone ever contested a ticket successfully ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mrvinegar, why would you contest it if you admit to driving at 80 through a 70 zone?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mrvinegar, You could always have slowed down to clear the perceived danger. Pay up. move on.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why bother contesting it? Sounds like they got you bang to rights me ol' son!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mrvinegar, you say "
mrvinegar wrote:
I........................ticket for going at 80 kmph in a 70 kmph......................................I remember the section..............................................I probably went at 80

On what grounds are you thinking you might contest it as it looks to me as if you're admitting you went at 80kph in a 70kph limit, unfortunately M Le Gendarme spotted you!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Because continuing at 70 might have meant a collision with a truck who was crossing into my lane!

Looking at www.antai.gouv.fr and it seems contesting the fine entails paying a "deposit" and submitting an appeal...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mrvinegar, would you have avoided the potential collision if you braked?

The only way to avoid speeding fines is to not speed. I'm not saying don't speed, just accept that from time to time you will get caught! It's in France and therefore shouldn't put points on your UK license.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
is it not only something like 40 euro if you pay in 30 days! why bother for that sum
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gixxerniknik wrote:

The only way to avoid speeding fines is to not speed. I'm not saying don't speed, just accept that from time to time you will get caught! It's in France and therefore shouldn't put points on your UK license.

Braking may have meant getting rear ended by the guy behind me... ( I agree regarding speeding )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mrvinegar, What if your appeal is refused...would the fine be greater? I'd pay up, but I wish you all the luck in the world.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bob or No hope of getting that overturned. Pay up, move on however aggrieved or unlucky you feel.

Courts don’t let you offf for bad luck, or “it felt safer not to obey the law”
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No hope whatsoever. Give up. Or risk worse.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What’s worse?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dangerous driving. Self-confessedly "hairy" overtaking rather than slowing down, leaving space to accommodate movement of vehicles in front and making it far less likely that someone driving equally badly crashes into the back of you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd say you were lucky! wink
snow report
Can the court up the charges?
snow conditions
mrvinegar wrote:
gixxerniknik wrote:

Braking may have meant getting rear ended by the guy behind me... ( I agree regarding speeding )

If somebody rammed you from behind, they didn't keep their distance - They would be responsible, and not you.
snow conditions
@pam_w Hairy overtaking no, hairy situation yes, due to a truck crossing into my lane

@danishrider Yeah I'd prefer to be contesting a speeding ticket rather than dealing with a rear ending (ooer missus).

Anyway I'm gonna pay it..
snow report
mrvinegar wrote:
@pam_w Hairy overtaking no, hairy situation yes, due to a truck crossing into my lane

@danishrider Yeah I'd prefer to be contesting a speeding ticket rather than dealing with a rear ending (ooer missus).

Anyway I'm gonna pay it..

I would too Happy I am just clarifying they legal aspect of braking and getting hit Happy
snow conditions
Just don't pay. They'll never get you before brexit Very Happy
snow report
@mrvinegar, Their website makes it really easy to pay - and it's in English (and other languages) as well Embarassed
Out of interest were you in a hire car or a UK reg plate car?
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
@mrvinegar

Neither!

Before anyone else wades in

1. I get it, speeding is bad, I tell people the same when they go over the limit
2. Yes I heard you, it's bad and it's illegal, limits are there for a reason, I agree
3. Unless you were in the car, your reading of the situation doesn't really matter, my question was : "has anyone contested a speeding ticket"
snow conditions
Quote:

my question was : "has anyone contested a speeding ticket"

That's how I read the question too.

But I don't have the answer. In fact, I was interested in what the answer maybe. @pam w is the only one who touched remotely on that, by hinting it could be worse. But she hasn't elaborated on the detail fully.
ski holidays
The missus contested some speeding fines for the husband of a friend. I'll have to ask her the details but there were 4 fines which would have led to a driving ban and she contested the 4 fines on legal technicalities: again I don't remember the details but things like the ticket being incorrectly completed... that kind of thing. The person was a commercial traveler and needed to keep his license although I agree with the sentiment that if he'd done the crime he should accept the fine.

She won 2 lost 2. On the two she lost new legislation was applied retroactively (which is illegal). She could have contested and probably won the other two but that would have required a lawyer in the Paris jurisdiction to submit the appeal to the courts there, which is prohibitively expensive.

In your case I'm not sure what your grounds are, but I'm not a lawyer Happy. They can't throw new charges at you but if they haven't levied the maximum penalty already they can always increase that or charge you extra court costs.
snow report
I was reading between the lines - I have no idea what happened to persuade the OP that it was less "hairy" to accelerate and break the speed limit rather than drop back, leave a sensible space, and allow for the kind of vehicle movements which can be expected where lanes are being reduced so dramatically. Unless he tells us, we're all speculating. Not unknown on Snowheads!

As everyone has commented, there seems no case for trying to contest this speeding ticket. My thought is that the driving in question sounds so dodgy that he was lucky to get out of the "hairy" situation with a small fine, rather than a collision and/or a more serious charge.

The single simplest thing drivers can do to improve road safety is to leave more space between themselves and the vehicle in front. The need for heightened anticipation of erratic lane changes, in the sort of situation described by the OP, makes keeping your distance even more important.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Can the court up the charges?

It's France so likely they could do whatever they want!!

@mrvinegar, don't take it to heart, I suspect that most if they're on the 5/600 mile drive to the Alps may have strayed over the posted speed limit once or twice and may have even been caught Embarassed
latest report
mrvinegar wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:
@mrvinegar

Neither!

Before anyone else wades in

1. I get it, speeding is bad, I tell people the same when they go over the limit
2. Yes I heard you, it's bad and it's illegal, limits are there for a reason, I agree
3. Unless you were in the car, your reading of the situation doesn't really matter, my question was : "has anyone contested a speeding ticket"

I get tons of speeding tickets, and have even been banned driving i Germany for a year - but i know that i do that, and then pay the fine Happy
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I was reading between the lines - I have no idea what happened to persuade the OP that it was less "hairy" to accelerate and break the speed limit rather than drop back, leave a sensible space, and allow for the kind of vehicle movements which can be expected where lanes are being reduced so dramatically. Unless he tells us, we're all speculating. Not unknown on Snowheads!

As everyone has commented, there seems no case for trying to contest this speeding ticket. My thought is that the driving in question sounds so dodgy that he was lucky to get out of the "hairy" situation with a small fine, rather than a collision and/or a more serious charge.

The single simplest thing drivers can do to improve road safety is to leave more space between themselves and the vehicle in front. The need for heightened anticipation of erratic lane changes, in the sort of situation described by the OP, makes keeping your distance even more important.

This sermon is great but nothing to do with the question! It might be better posted in a driving forum.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was under the impression that the French authorities have no ability to follow up speeding tickets of UK drivers once they are out the country? I heard that they were enlisting the services of UK based debt collection agencies to then chase up non-payers?

I may be (and am probably) mistaken.
ski holidays
Quote:

This sermon is great but nothing to do with the question!

The sermon has everything to do with the question. You contended that because your speeding was the safest way out of the "hairy" situation in which you found yourself, there were grounds for contesting the ticket. You haven't explained yet why that was the case, which means that the first few responses to your question (you admit you were speeding, so suck it up) are the logical ones. If you care to rehearse here your detailed argument, we will be in a better position to judge whether our reactions were wrong, and that you have a credible case to make.

The evidence that I am wrong is the same as the case you would make to the French authorities. So drafting it out here wouldn't be a waste of time. Twisted Evil
latest report
Doesn’t speed limit in France drop by 50% in roadworks? Or something like that ?
latest report
Doesn’t speed limit in France drop by 50% in roadworks? Or something like that ?
snow report
@mrvinegar, in answer to your question, no I have never contested a speeding fine in the UK or abroad. I have had them in Australia and Austria as well as one in the UK. TBH I don't think it is worth the hassle and lost sleep trying to contest them. In reality they are a deterrent so that next time we all slow down and follow the speed limit.
I have been on the other end of driving offences and when the Police asked if I wanted the other party prosecuted or sent for re-training I opted for the later. A lot of Celebs opt to contest speeding charges and it really shows their values for what they are.....!
ski holidays
snow report
gixxerniknik wrote:

Can we safely assume that you have a blue and white mode of transport with two wheels and you have enough common sense to avoid being killed by making the decision to go faster? wink
latest report
Post Brexit you may not be let into ski ever again. Crims may not be let in. Do you really want to be barred from all that future Blanc stuff? Puzzled
Think of it as an investment Toofy Grin
latest report
The right reverend @pam w. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Thornyhill,
Quote:

Can we safely assume that you have a blue and white mode of transport ...

A fair assumption based on my username, but totally false I'm afraid!
ski holidays
@suec, post Brexit we may not be sharing any intelligence info so think you can do what you like Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Was it in a hire car? If not then chuck it in the bin and forget about it or pay the €40 and forget about it - its your shout but doing 80 in a 70 is speeding and you won't get let off.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy