Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nice cruising pretty area march 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Agree with those who have mentioned Les Arcs - very cruisey blues, and some benign reds for when you are feeling more confident.
We left there in March last year and the snow was still very good.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for all your replies. I'm gonna look into it further. Going to the dry slopes tomorrow to see if I am fit enough as I'm hefty couch potato. We have hired a car from geneva and hubby has drove, he's not that keen. Aren't the roads to resort a bit scary? Also great report @what_snow you seemed to be back and forth like a yoyo having to collect kids and meet up with your wife Smile does the 52 euro transfer bus run at various times?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Missed that you are in the North East. Unfortunately, Newcastle is a bit restricted in where you can fly to ( it's our local airport too) and often packages end up being the best option. I was trying to book a sneaky week for the opening of the ski season but the tour operators didn't start their flights from NCL till first week in Dec.
Another plus for Les Arcs is that the drive is quite easy compared to some.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
But it is possible to get the ferry to Amsterdam from Newcastle, or to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge from Hull, and drive from there. The only problems that I have with these options are firstly that the arrival in port is not particularly early so it is difficult to get a flying start in the morning, and secondly, the ferries are all overnight so you have to pay for a cabin, which puts the price up
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, £300 versus £80 on the tunnel for a motorhome.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have done Newcastle to Amsterdam then drove to niderau. Never again lol it took about 12 hours to drive. We could get to Edinburgh easy enough or Manchester. Was looking at the flights from Edinburgh to treviso and they are afternoon flights so we could drive up in the morning and leave the car.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The beauty of living where we do (Cumbria) is that we can get to Manchester / Liverpool / Leeds / Newcastle / Edinburgh / Glasgow and other airports. None are particularly "local" but they are an acceptable (2 hour or so) drive away.
So when it is English half term and flight prices rocket skywards, we can fly from a Scottish airport. At the English half term, we are flying Edinburgh - Treviso and then driving up to the Dolomites. It is very very do-able
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@polo99,

Another vote for Alta Badia
We do DIY self catered in feb half term and with flights/car hire/accommodation we’re well under your budget.
Don’t get too hooked on the snow.
Mrs c and I have just come back from a long weekend in passo San pellegrino which is about 15 miles south as the crow flies from Alta Badia and part of the Dolomiti superski area
And the snow cannons do an amazing job keeping everything perfect. Far better than anywhere else I’ve been.
Also remember yes it has less snow, but that means more bluebirds
I’ve skied for 5 weeks in Alta Badia and only had 3 days of snow.
While the blues are fabulous, I’m sure that all other Alta Badia snowHeads Will agree the hidden valley a red has a couple of steep bits at the beginning then you have 8km of almost deserted slopes to cruise down
As far as airports go
Treviso Innsbruck Venice verona and we’ve even flown to memmingan and bergamo the latter worked surprisingly well. If you can get to Innsbruck within budget that would be the best and you can an Austrian hire car which will be better than an Italian
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Iv'e downloaded the dolomites 3d piste map and i am having a look on the fat map. If I was to star in Arraba, if I went up the Le Pale chair lift and headed that way, is there no way to come back to Arraba except for on a red? I kind of have the mind set that if it is a red, I won't go down it so will only ski blue. I am just looking at options of where we can stay that will give us a good expanse to ski on blues that we can get back to resort on a blue (or a gondola to come back on)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The piste maps look so confusing, it is kind of off putting Shocked Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@polo99, a red in Arabba is steep as are the ones around selva
But the Alta Badia reds less so.
I think most arabba should be black but they want to make it more accessible so they put in reds
And in altar Badia they want it to seem tougher so they put in more reds when many are blues.
Equally if you do the hidden valley lagazoui the red is fine as are all the reds if the cinq torre ski area
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you have skied in France or Austria then IMHO the reds and blacks in the Dolomites should not be as scary. Some of the runs graded black around Arabba would be reds elsewhere.

But for a timid blue run skier Alta Badia is better. When looking at accomodation in Alta Badia be aware that some places are out in the boonies and require a 500 meter yomp to the lift and two more lifts to get into the ski area.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 27-01-19 21:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Plagne would be my choice endless amounts of cruising piste ,
such a nice place been back many times ,
not a massive apres ski culture if that's your thing to
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TQA, we’ve often stayed in resident Vallon which is just outside Corvara
They (as do a number of other places) offer a ski bus in the morning and afternoon so while it is about 500m
We’ve never had to walk it
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We kept our ski kit in lockers by the lift in San cassiano, so whilst we had a walk to the lift it was in normal shoes so it didn't matter. There was a ski bus, but we didn't use it in the end as the walk was so pleasant.
latest report
my reservation now, after having studied the piste map would be would our skiing be limited (due to not being able to connect via reds to other areas). Would we actually get more skiing runs in france by visiting one of our favourite places. I really wanted to try somewhere new, especially a new country but on looking at the piste maps, would there actually be enough door to door skiing? (without getting buses etc)
snow report
Staying in Alta Badia you can go for miles and miles on multiple blues. You can even do the Sella Ronda clockwise on blues. That area is just heaven for a timid intermediate blue run skier.

There is another plus for this area. The pisteurs who drive the piste bashers are totally brilliant and if an area starts to get icy or cut up or just worn they will be on it right away at any time of the day.
latest report
So I had made my mind up that we were going to go to Alta Badia but then when i dropped the bombshell on hubby that we would be booking it very last minute and we would have to travel to Edinburgh or Manchester to fly from, he has decided that it is too much for him! Looks like I will have to work on him for a trip to Italy for next year! Sooooooo, my second choice, given the late time of year, I was thinking of going to Three Valleys. Probably Meribel or Les Menuires. WE have stayed in La Tania before and skiied Courchevel and a little bit of Les Menuires on one day (the pic blue was so chopped up it was horrendous and I wouldnt go back down it (the Boulevarde de la loze was not open as an option), so anyway I thought we could go to Meribel and it would kind of be like visiting a new area, as we never got as far as Les Menuires or Val Thorens. Plan B is Les Arcs or La Plagne (we have been to La Plagne so would probalby stay Les Arcs side near to the La Plagne side).

I digress...... I have seen a holiday to LES CRÊTS APARTMENTS, MOTTARET with Crystal. Trip advisor has quite a good write up and its not a bad price £419 each. The only down side is that it is down a red run to ski into (The Aigle). I am not a "beginner" skiier but I have this thing in my head about red runs (I can parallel ski). How difficult is this red run? I am still keeping my eye on the weather at the minute. It is looking good so far, but ideally I would like it to have 3 foot of snow the week before we go and then wall to wall sunshine when we are out there lol. If you had an option would you chose Meribel over Les Menuires? ALso what is the difference between Meribel and Meribel Mottaret? Date of holiday is 23 March from Newcastle Airport
latest report
TQA wrote:
You can even do the Sella Ronda clockwise on blues.

Really? rolling eyes

I'm sure the run down to the Pordoi valley lift to Bellevedere on the Marmolada side is a red, and not an easy one at that! Plenty more reds from memory too.
snow report
martinm wrote:
TQA wrote:
You can even do the Sella Ronda clockwise on blues.

Really? rolling eyes

I'm sure the run down to the Pordoi valley lift to Bellevedere on the Marmolada side is a red, and not an easy one at that! Plenty more reds from memory too.

The run down into Arrabba clockwise is also red - why I got the bus back whenever I went across to Alta Badia.
snow conditions
Agreed what ever way you do the sella the bulk is red and a lot of very busy chopped up steeep reds at that
ski holidays
Yep, I was just thinking of that one too!
latest report
@polo99,
Can't help you with that particular run.
Mottaret is a bit higher than Maribel and last time I stayed there which was quite a few years ago had better lift connections.
Les Menuires v Mottaret.?
Well Mottaret has better connections over to Courchevel but Les Menuires probably has a bit more on its door step particularly end of March, Meribel can be very soft.
Again from quite a long time ago Meribel is pretty pricey for food, ski hire etc.
Personally if you like blue cruisey I would choose Mottaret because of its better access to Courchevel
ski holidays
@polo99,
Like T_Bar I can't help with that run as I rarely come down that side into Mottaret. However you can download on the bubble and from memory there is a funicular from the centre up to Les Crets so you can get back whichever way you return to Mottaret.
I would choose Mottaret over Les Menuires because you can easily get to either Courchevel or Val T.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy