Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Look Bindings for Dynastar Speed Zone skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've decided to buy new skis to replace my delaminating Head Titans and I'd decided to go with Dynastar Speed Zone, either the 12 or the 14. I've got three options available -

1. Buy last year's Speed Zone 12 with Look SPX 12 bindings from a local shop (in Edinburgh) for £440
2. Buy this year's Speed Zone 12 with Look NX 12 bindings from Ekosport for £409
3. Buy this year's Speed Zone 14 with Look SPX 12 bindings from Ekosport for £485

I'm finding the decision tricky as -
1. I've not got a clue if there's any downside to buying a ski that's been sitting in a shop for a year. Will it need waxed before I use it or should it be just as good as this year's?
2. I've no idea what difference it would make having the SPX binding rather than the NX. I know from looking at various websites that the SPX is more expensive but I'm not sure what the benefits are?
3. The 14 mounts the binding on a raceplate rather than a normal rail. Is that a good thing?

Next ski trip is in less than two week's time so I really need to make my mind up now!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I'd always want to wax new skis before I used them for a week.
My wife has NX on her skis, and I have SPX on my Speedzones. My impression is that the NX are lighter, but the SPX look more robust.
A quick look online suggests that NX is aimed at beginner / intermediate, SPX more at intermediate / advanced / expert. Seems an odd binding to sell with the Speedzone 12, and not the one that Dynastar's site says it ships with. I rather suspect ekosport have dropped the binding spec to make the price more attractive.
Unless you have a reason for wanting a race plate (e.g. needing to shim to adjust binding delta, or wanting a bit of the extra stiffness) why not support your local retailer.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve been looking at these skis and seen them from other retailers with SPX 12 or NX 12 bindings. I believe they are both dual WTR bindings, which would be important to me (and maybe for resale) as my boots have WTR soles. I don’t know too much about bindings, but I presume either would hold my boots on the skis just fine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. After much debate I decided I wanted the SPX bindings and I also decided that I much preferred the current year graphics to last years (sad I know!). Ended up ordering Speed Zone 14 from Sport Conrad as slightly cheaper than Ekosport.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got my new skis! Well chuffed - they look really good and it's only a week until I get to use them.

Conrad mounted the bindings to my BSL, so my boots go in okay, but I'm not convinced the forward pressure is correct. The metal shaft that protrudes from the back of the rear binding seems to be in the same place regardless of whether or not there is a boot in the binding. Is that correct? On other bindings I've had putting a boot in moved the binding back and the shaft moves into the binding. I've had a serious attempt at finding a Look manual online but there's nothing to be found. Look seem determined that everyone should get their bindings adjusted in a shop.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Valkyrie, if you've got the Speed Zone 14 with the SPX Rockerflex race bindings then yes the silver forward pressure adjustment screw does move. About a cm from the end of the screw there's a shallow groove about a mm wide machined around the circumference of the screw. When the boot is out of the binding the rear face of the plastic surrounding the screw will be a few mm in front of the groove. Adjust the binding so that when the boot is installed the rear face of the plastic surround is over the middle of the groove. Make any changes to binding length with the boot removed so as not to strain the adjustment track.

If you want a copy of the tech manual just PM me your email address.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Jon - PM sent!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy