Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! Still plowing after 8 Years!!!

Poster: A snowHead
philwig wrote:
zikomo wrote:
The snow plough ...continues to be extremely useful to very advanced skiers.

But the discussion is about learners.

zikomo wrote:
.... I am a pretty advanced skier recently retired and for the hell of it have decided to follow the BASI path to see how far I can get, and improve my understanding and technique. Feedback so far is I should have no problem from a skills perspective reaching L3 and if I really committed L4 could be achieved (I am less convinced of this!) ... And there is no doubt in my mind, from an educated perspective, that the snowplough is indeed the best way to build the fundamentals and it is also something that all advanced skiers should return to in order to both diagnose bad habits and refine their skills. I would encourage you to give it a try, really try and focus on making perfect rounded turns in the snowplough at low speed. Trust me, it is not easy and will quickly show up elements of your technique that could be improved as well as giving you a platform to do so.

I would encourage you to strive for the L4 and to make fewer assumptions about others.

@philwig Your statements were pretty focussed on how useless the snowplough is for anyone other than a complete beginner, or a "low level instructor" trying to get a badge.

I have made reasonable assumptions based on my interpretation of the level of knowledge you have displayed. I am sorry that I seem to have got it wrong. From your last post I can only now assume that you are a L4, and it is nice of you to offer your encouragement to continue to strive to reach your level. Please let me know if I have got it wrong again.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Did a couple of private lessons for a new client this month, each 90 minutes long followed by some video feedback. We didn't once work on "not snowploughing" just focused on the core skills and movements necessary to develop a foundation for further improvement. Those movements are the basis for all the skiing she will ever do. It's just the start of her skiing journey, but hopefully the progress she has made so far will stand her in good stead.

Thanks to Rob@rar for the video. The second half of the video is what I would like her to achieve and she has all the correct physical abilities. It is, however, the fear factor kicking in when the slope gets a little steep or bumpy or icy or too crowded that is the frustrating thing.
Other posters have suggested taking up snowshoeing etc. but the fact is that she loves skiing, albeit on gentle terrain! And she would love to explore other areas of the resort(s) but it is this limiting fear factor which inhibits her. I guess that she is just naturally overcautious (not a good attribute for progression I guess). Same with driving- she won't drive on motorways Crying or Very sad and looking after kids etc etc.
Regarding carrying boots and skis for her- after 16 week long trips to mountain resorts and numerous lessons on the local slopes ??
Some really good advice on here though Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
the evidence presented to us suggests that she's had plenty of time to find out about it and really, really, isn't that bothered.

Actually that isn't the picture the OP has painted. He said "She loves the mountains and the whole skiing experience" and has said she is taking lessons in a fridge. I live 10 minutes from a fridge and have never set foot/ski on the slope there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GURNEY_SLADE wrote:
Same with driving- she won't drive on motorways

Wow. I think this may require some professional help... i.e., a pyschologist.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can relate to your other half. Whilst I don't resort to snowplough very often I am very easily scared by unexpected steep sections, ice, bumps, powder.... My boyfriend is very patient but I know he gets frustrated.
I would say if your other half really loves the mountains don't take that away from them but it might help if they did something just for them. Personally I was frightened to ski without my boyfriend until I joined ladies night at the local dry slope. There is no pressure yet we practice things I would otherwise refuse like jumps and poles. Although totally different from snow it has really helped me. I also like the look of the ski godess trips https://skigoddess.co.uk maybe this would help?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @GURNEY_SLADE, and of course welcome on board.

I can sympathise with you on this problem.

My dear wife is very similar, we've been sort of skiing since 1972 and she is still at the snow plough stage.
Her snow ploughing is pretty good now but it takes its toll in making her very tired.

She has had oodles of lessons in groups over the years and she likes to join beginners groups each time and although they are startled at her prowess, but one sniff of a red pole at the side of the piste and it all goes out the window Crying or Very sad

She broke her leg on a green slope three weeks ago and decided that is the end of skiing for her.

She is coming again ..but snow shoes are going to be the way to go.
She loves rambling and she did like the look of the trails around St Gervais Les Baines.

Perhaps we'll go back there next year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn,
Quote:

She broke her leg on a green slope three weeks ago

Oh no! I hope it wasn't too bad a break and that she heals quickly.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @Hurtle its not a bad break, Tibial Plateau Fracture, but nothing is displaced and she should be good to go again in 4 weeks time.
I'm learning where all the strange things live in the house now ..
Airing cuppoard, washing line, hoover, dish washer...still havent found an ironing board whatever that is. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn wrote:
still havent found an ironing board whatever that is. Puzzled
It’s like a snowboard with legs, apparently. Not sure how you use it though, surely the legs get stuck in the snow?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar
Quote:

It’s like a snowboard with legs, apparently. Not sure how you use it though, surely the legs get stuck in the snow?

Legs? They're surely handles! Like a snow scooter. You sit on top of where the 'legs' cross each other albeit a bit uncomfortable wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GURNEY_SLADE, ah, that makes more sense!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah ...Thanks lads I found it now...
There was a disabled guy using one of these in Hemmel a couple of weeks ago, I've just got to put it the wring way up.

Now whats an Iron?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@altis, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @GURNEY_SLADE, and of course welcome on board.

I can sympathise with you on this problem.

My dear wife is very similar, we've been sort of skiing since 1972 and she is still at the snow plough stage.
Her snow ploughing is pretty good now but it takes its toll in making her very tired.

She has had oodles of lessons in groups over the years and she likes to join beginners groups each time and although they are startled at her prowess, but one sniff of a red pole at the side of the piste and it all goes out the window Crying or Very sad

She broke her leg on a green slope three weeks ago and decided that is the end of skiing for her.

She is coming again ..but snow shoes are going to be the way to go.
She loves rambling and she did like the look of the trails around St Gervais Les Baines.

Perhaps we'll go back there next year.

47 years of snow ploughing - Wow, you must be very persuasive to keep punishing her for that long Laughing
latest report
@SnowPloughPrincess, bit off topic - but what boot would you recommend for a really wide foot then - mine roughly square!
snow conditions
sarahklt wrote:
@SnowPloughPrincess, bit off topic - but what boot would you recommend for a really wide foot then - mine roughly square!

You'll probably get a better response to this in the equipment section of the forum. The main answer you'll get, though, is to go and see a good boot fitter. If you post there, you'll get some recommendations of fitters who are convenient to you.
snow report
Thanks
snow report
Something that has always helped Mrs TT to relax, let her skis run a bit faster, and have a more confident approach is Prosecco. I’m sure that Jagatee would be even more effective, except that it’s a little too easy to exceed the quantity that is beneficial, rather than counter-productive, on account of its notorious potency.
Another thing that seems to have developed her technique enormously is skiing on light, easy-turning skis (Elan Delights).
snow conditions
Lots of good stuff above, especially the advice on one to ones.

My wife has/had similar issues but not as severe. For the last few years we have skied all season as a foursome, Three of us basi qualified plus mrs jbob, I did feel a little sorry for her..

Some things to try that helped her were, lots of side slipping, pivot slips (if she can), hockey stops to build confidence with speed, and imaging skiing while on a pony, ie feet a little wider apart and a bit bow legged!
I might be worth doing a bit of a reset, ie relearning plow turns with a big emphasis on releasing pressure in the final part of the turn and pivoting the ski at the foot to be parallel with the other one. Then trying to do that earlier and earlier in the turn. One thing that was blocking Mrs Jbob which is a little counterintuitive was moving too slowly. Another thing that also helped was doing a lot of cross country skiing where bizarrely plowing is a high level ski and being balanced is vital. One last drill that might help is what I call windscreen wiper turns where you turn with almost no edging but rather lots of side slipping.

Good luck.
snow conditions
@GURNEY_SLADE, Thought you were talking about me when I read this!!!! Just wanted to let you know that, after reading some other posts re ski schools, nervous skiers etc I’ve been in touch with New Generation in Serre Chevalier & arranged to have some lessons with them in January (6th - 10th). May be worth your wife having a look at them. I’ll be happy to share my feedback here after returning.
snow report
@GURNEY_SLADE, New Gen and Gavin Crosby in Le Monetier-les-Bains, Serre Chevalier couldn't be more patient with nervous skiers. Worth a look for a future holiday perhaps?
snow report
I didn't start skiing until I was 56 and, despite being fit through cycling, I was a slow learner. I found that I had to overcome the fear of speed by keeping pushing a bit past my comfort zone so that I got used to it. Same with steep bits, force myself to try things that seemed scary. Thing is, I was desperate to keep up with my wife, who introduced me to skiing, and her friends. For me, it was confidence rather than technique that was the issue. If I had been happy to snowplough slowly on easy slopes, that's what I would still be doing. Now my wife skis the red or blue while I do the black and we meet at the bottom. I wanted to do it so I made myself do it. You've got to want to. If Mrs Slade doesn't want to, I don't think lessons will help.
ski holidays
GURNEY_SLADE wrote:
Quote:

Did a couple of private lessons for a new client this month, each 90 minutes long followed by some video feedback. We didn't once work on "not snowploughing" just focused on the core skills and movements necessary to develop a foundation for further improvement. Those movements are the basis for all the skiing she will ever do. It's just the start of her skiing journey, but hopefully the progress she has made so far will stand her in good stead.

Thanks to Rob@rar for the video. The second half of the video is what I would like her to achieve and she has all the correct physical abilities. It is, however, the fear factor kicking in when the slope gets a little steep or bumpy or icy or too crowded that is the frustrating thing.
Other posters have suggested taking up snowshoeing etc. but the fact is that she loves skiing, albeit on gentle terrain! And she would love to explore other areas of the resort(s) but it is this limiting fear factor which inhibits her. I guess that she is just naturally overcautious (not a good attribute for progression I guess). Same with driving- she won't drive on motorways Crying or Very sad and looking after kids etc etc.
Regarding carrying boots and skis for her- after 16 week long trips to mountain resorts and numerous lessons on the local slopes ??
Some really good advice on here though Very Happy

Has anyone ever suggested trying a ski rather shorter than is normally recommended when you learn?
I'm 5'6 and learned on 156cm skis, struggled to get beyond blues, found myself fighting them on "easy" reds.
One year I tried 99cm blades, and have used 126cm skis for the last 5 years, loving every minute. Have skied everything up to black, but not moguls 'notbraveenough
I've just bought 130cm skis for this coming season, wider all the way along so should be easier to use in soft stuff, 50/50 piste/off
From my experience the length of the ski is what makes turning / getting away from snowplough difficult, especially when it's steep.
Short skis can be found with standard bindings, it's not just the non-release types.
Worth a try if you can rent them in resort wherever you go.
Best of luck
Steve
snow report
This is an issue that stumps so many people for so long. To be honest, if you are still in the plough then your too fond of your comfort zone. A private instructor is going to help this issue by making sure you're not 'hiding' and will push you past your current capacity. Also, please get savvy with (at least the basic!) technique of parallel skiing. This can tell you the mechanics: https://snowsunsee.com/snow-plough-to-parallel

However, you still need to push yourself as much as you can!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy