Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Socks over or under base layers?

Poster: A snowHead
I think this debate is extremely important.

It ranks alongside the importance of:

Lift pass pocket location
Pant - thermal - fleece - trousers layering order
Buff colour
Phone protection arrangements
Trouser gaiter over first or second ski boot buckle
Tongue position whilst concentrating on steeps

But seriously, some tiny things do make a huge diffference to comfort and sometimes to safety - antiballing plates on crampons, type of ice axe leash, getting the forward pressure right, making sure there are no gaps anywhere when it’s minus 15 with 20 degrees of windchill.

I suppose talking about socks and thermals spreads automatic good practice - like making sure very young kids’ gaitors are down over their boot buckles....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
YAY!!! 3rd page!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
valais2 wrote:
like making sure very young kids’ gaitors are down over their boot buckles....

Surely worth a thread on its own!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

valais2 wrote:
like making sure very young kids’ gaitors are down over their boot buckles....

The secret here is getting someone they think is cool (i.e., not their parents) to tell them it i s very uncool not to have their gaitors properly positioned
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Er...note I slid from gaiters (correct spelling) to gaitors. Oops. If the spelling slips further... If you have gators on your trousers you are in trouble.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, that's why ski boots are made from hard plastic. Protects against bite marks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2 wrote:
I think this debate is extremely important.

It ranks alongside the importance of:

Pant - thermal - fleece - trousers layering order

Am I missing something here Puzzled
Do you some people not have their thermals next to their skin Puzzled

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 24-01-19 15:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2 wrote:

Lift pass pocket location = Left wrist pocket
Pant - thermal - fleece - trousers layering order = Pants>socks>thermals>jacket/trousers
Buff colour = Star Wars buff
Phone protection arrangements = Jacket inside breast pocket
Trouser gaiter over first or second ski boot buckle = Gaiter over complete boot
Tongue position whilst concentrating on steeps = firmly pressing against gritted teeth!

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, now you are just being silly....thermals indeed go next to your skin.

But...it’s the tucking thing in Big Cold.

Thermal top tucked into pants.
Thin fleece tucked into thermal leggings.
Trousers on top.
Disaster...the waist band of my thermal leggings show.

So...

Nothing tucked into pants.
Thermal top tucked into thermal leggings
Fleece tucked into trousers.
Now my arsss looks huge.

So....:

Nothing tucked into pants
Thermal top tucked into thermal leggings
Nothing tucked into trousers.
Fleece over trousers.
Looks cool but bit draughty though.

Conclusion

Just who gives a damn...?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@valais2, I have my order sorted in the morning but if I go for a pee in the day it all becomes a muddle!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
t4tomo wrote:
socks pulled up smooth and tight so no ridges, thermals never ever inside boot, or sock for that matter, they can rest on top of sock if long enough

+1 same here
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, but what's way more important is whether or not blokes should be wearing their y-fronts over their thermal leggings or not.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Feet, lower legs and socks pulled up tight are the only things that should ever be inside a ski boot that's in use. Anything else is asking for trouble.
Socks should always extend a bit above the boot & the base layer, whether full or 3/4 length, should be able to sit over the sock & rest on top of the boot cuff, removing any gap issues.
Granted, this is easier to achieve with some designs of base layer than others but multiple layers inside a boot is the road to no town, in my opinion.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cardweg, what sort of trouble exactly?

Social unrest?

Insurrection?

Rabies?

In 30 years of skiing my thermals have been inside my socks stopping shin bashing.

Hang on ... I’ve just remembered. I’ve got something serious to go and fret about...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You people wear socks when skiing? Amateurs...
latest report
@BobinCH, I just grow my toe nails, they slot into front binding, crusty heel into the back bringing.

Who needs boots...

Amateur!...
snow report
snowHeads gold! Laughing Laughing
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Base layers are for Southerners

Not with shell pants ... then they are essential
snow report
@Blackblade, ...for our neck of the woods thermals keep you warm in the deep temps and stop honking when the temps rise in spring.

A couple of our friends honk.

At least their gear does. They use trousers direct against the skin with no base layer. Their trousers honk. As the ValaisGrom Alex said of the maniac freeskiing pair (Jerome and Cedric) - ‘...they ski brilliantly... but they do smell a bit...’.

So when the temps rise we still use base layers but use our vents to keep body temps within bounds. Friend Ant scoffed at this last Easter, but then we spotted (sniffed) distinct honking from him in the gondola at Vercorin.

So...we seldom wash our outer, and that keeps the DWR in good nick. And the thermals just get changed every few days, and then our gear doesn’t honk.

Oh...and the weather changes in the mountains. The weirdest was a couple of summers ago - high temps in the meadows schlepping up to the Trubelstock, blue skies but snowing...what? Turns out a storm was brewing in Lenk, and the snow was being hooshed over the ridge by severe wind. An hour later we could barely stand in the wind, and the temp had dropped by at least 10 degrees, with BIG windchill.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 25-01-19 16:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
....fourth page....fourth page....come on
snow conditions
It is to be hoped Vincent Kreichmayr had his kellies tucked into his socks today, otherwise he has messy boots. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
valais2 wrote:
....fourth page....fourth page....come on

I certainly think these thread has the potential to exceed 4 pages.......and maybe beyond!
ski holidays
Top base layer, inside or outside of glove cuff?
latest report
I think that rather depends upon the style of glove
snow report
snow report
Ah, gloves: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32488
OMG, I've just realised this wondrous thread is more than 11 years old! Where's the time gone?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 25-01-19 20:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
wills_h wrote:

And cuff....
snow report
Thomasski wrote:
Top base layer, inside or outside of glove cuff?

Top base layer? Would that be the jacket?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

I'm with Jonny996. I don't usually wear base layer. And I normally wear shell pants only. Granted, my "shell" pants is wind proof and somehow being rather warm, even though there's no insulation. (I tried xc skiing in it one day, a rather chilly day, I was sweating buckets at my thighs. So it may just be me who sweat a lot)

But on really cold days (below 10F), I would add a thin base layer. Or, I switch to insulated pants, sans base layer.

Odd thing is, when I stop to pee, I noticed my thighs would be cold to the touch. But somehow that doesn't bother me. And if it's warm, I start sweating and it gets rather uncomfortable.

I run pretty hot too but actually prefer to have a wicking layer as I find it helps take moisture away from the skin. If it is very mild I'll open side zips a bit to get some airflow to remove the humid air. In general I find wicking and venting is the best way of dealing with my propensity to sweat!

I'm sure your way is perfectly sensible. It's just I never felt cold in my lower body (and that includes my toes). So it's just simpler to just wear a pair of shell pants in most weather.

The only time I ever experience chill in my lower body is when I sat on chairs that still have snow on it! My body heat melt the snow and, given the pants are a bit dates, the waterproofness isn't perfect... On those days, I found insulation (or at least a wicking layer) to be helpful.

My upper body, on the other hand, are quite sensitive to temperature. So I have many different layers to deal with that.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
@Blackblade, ...for our neck of the woods thermals keep you warm in the deep temps and stop honking when the temps rise in spring.

A couple of our friends honk.

At least their gear does. They use trousers direct against the skin with no base layer. Their trousers honk. As the ValaisGrom Alex said of the maniac freeskiing pair (Jerome and Cedric) - ‘...they ski brilliantly... but they do smell a bit...’.

So, @valais2, I think you raise a whole new, and indeed troubling, area of discussion. Quite aside from the dire consequences of inappropriate tucking, of which I have to confess I had been woefully ignorant until @cardweg pointed them out them, we now have to consider the efficacy of honk prevention.

Quite frankly, I think all other current matters of political and social discourse should be halted until this has been thoroughly and completely resolved. The recent, and not entirely unexpected, retirement of one of my pair of 3/4 base layers leaves me with only the one and I am now in dire circumstances fearing both honk and cold yet unable to determine the correct course of action.

Yours in troubled appreciation,

Blackblade

PS. Roll on ..... Page 4 Madeye-Smiley
latest report
This has reminded me of the resolution I've made the last few years of skiing and then forgotten until next ski hol. I always find myself reluctant to use my full length leggings and instead washing my 3/4 leggings repeatedly, in the basin with hand soap. I then swear to shorten the full length ones ready for next time, but once home I forget.
latest report
@Blackblade, ...said friend Ant discovered the wonders of Merino - and proudly announced ‘I’ve been wearing this for top two weeks and it doesn’t smell at all’ ... which indeed is unusual for him. Hmm...I said...let me take a sniff.

He was right, it didn’t. It was, however, the texture of cardboard, and audibly cracked when you scrunched it.

Yes he said, it has gone a bit crusty.

Alex now shouts down the stairs ‘time to wash my ski socks...they’re crunching...’
snow report
@valais2, bleugghhh
snow report
valais2 wrote:
Alex now shouts down the stairs ‘time to wash my ski socks...they’re crunching...’

@valais2 So, you always now know the right moment ... this is golden Very Happy
snow conditions
...look you lot, it’s a bit pathetic that this thread is peterring out. Surely it offers enough tasteless angles to continue apace?......
ski holidays
Mind you , 2770 views....and only half of them retching into a bucket.....
latest report
Always worn socks under a full length merino base layer. No problems to report!
snow report
valais2 wrote:
...look you lot, it’s a bit pathetic that this thread is peterring out. Surely it offers enough tasteless angles to continue apace?......

I think the best way to keep this thread expanding is to post a vid of a snowboarder cutting you up in his underwear. Will add 3 pages, just like that. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@thecramps, ...yes that was an interesting one...I always think....right; before I press ‘send’ let’s really think what the reaction might be...and that final ‘sense check’ can sometimes be rather important....
latest report
@valais2, hmmm, sadly I don't always think that before I press send Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy