Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Socks over or under base layers?

Poster: A snowHead
Random question/poll for a bit of fun.

So which is it? Over or under??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neither.

3/4 length base layers snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Over the top of the sock but above the boot
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Over
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Over
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Neither.

3/4 length base layers snowHead

Interesting.........never any "gap" issues?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gyro wrote:
Over

Gyro wrote:
Over

And out?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with @Mosha Marc.
And no "gap" issues coz sock meets 3/4 leggings and embrace snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If they are under you get a ridge in your boot. If your boots fit properly that will be uncomfortable. When my kids were younger "Daddy, my shin/calf (delete as appropriate) hurts" was always followed by "Did you tuck your thermals in?" which was 95% the problem.

Hence this
Quote:

Over the top of the sock but above the boot

WHich leads you to

Quote:

Neither.

3/4 length base layers

as the optimal solution.

As for this

Quote:

Interesting.........never any "gap" issues?

Tue 22 Jan, 19
14:38     

Yes sometimes - means the socks are a tad short. But TBH if you have gaiters built into your ski pants it shouldn't matter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do it as per Jedster above...

3/4 length Helly Hansen Dry base with the last couple of inches on top of the socks - Dissent Nano tour which are very compressive (and proper ski sock length), so no worries about sagging sock tops (or more blood clots come to that....).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
socks pulled up smooth and tight so no ridges, thermals never ever inside boot, or sock for that matter, they can rest on top of sock if long enough - my aren't, the kids ones get /got neatly fold back on themselves to keep clear of the boot.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
socks pulled up smooth and tight so no ridges, thermals never ever inside boot, or sock for that matter, they can rest on top of sock if long enough - my aren't, the kids ones get /got neatly fold back on themselves to keep clear of the boot.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neither, 3/4 length base layers, anything else may lead to discomfort
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Base layers are for Southerners
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is as bad as non matching ski poles . . .3/4's all the way with a discreet fold over the sock above the bootline for all day comfort (sounds like a panty liner ad)
ski holidays
Under, but then base layer leggings pulled up to whatever height needed to clear the cuff of the boot and then snug themselves into its top - so with the 3/4 answer, really.
snow conditions
I'm going to go completely against the grain here, and confirm that I wear full-length thermals under my socks. I know, the horror! Laughing

Three reasons for this:
1. I tried some 3/4 thermals and found that they rode up my legs and caught around my knees in a quite uncomfortable way. I have quite large calves, so that may have something to do with it.
2. Any gap between trousers and socks is completely unacceptable.
3. Socks are usually applied quite late on in the dressing process, normally after I've been wandering around barefoot for at least an hour. Getting socks underneath at this point would be more problematic than just making sure everything is smooth with no folds or lumps.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Oi, this southerner doesn't wear a lower baselayer!
ski holidays
Another vote for 3/4 length thermals pulled on after socks with around a 1 inch overlap above boots.
latest report
Over socks, but outside boots.
ski holidays
I'll have to admit that I prefer socks under base layers! In my experience, pulling a sock over a full length base layer cause's creasing/uneven contact with the skin, and therefore becoming uncomfortable, hence going under.
latest report
Mjit wrote:

Eh? How is that possible? Assume you use the snow gait to go outside the boot?
snow report
base layers under socks is exactly where lumps and bumps will occur, inside boots, which is where you don't want the lumps and bumps to occur

either 3/4 or 1/2 length or normal sized underwear (usually 3/4 for me, which just fit over the top of the socks, which are well above the boot cuff - Falke for me, which nearly come up to the knee)

gaps are no issue, cos they'll be covered by padded ski pants
latest report
Over, but I'm very careful to eliminate wrinkles and bumps, particularly at the front of the shin.
ski holidays
I have never felt the need for leg base layers, either I am weird or you are skiing in some very cold places
snow conditions
Over
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
I have never felt the need for leg base layers, either I am weird or you are skiing in some very cold places

It isn't just warmth , its also comfort for me the inside of my salopettes can get a bit sweaty and uncomfortable if its warm without a base layer
latest report
It's all about the 3/4 merino, with the socks always under. Socks have a nice snug fit, with something else under them it becomes too snug.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never use a leg base layer - mainly because I wear knee supports on both legs, leaving very little leg/thigh uncovered!
snow report
@Jonny996, @martinm, @Frosty the Snowman, where there’s no sense, there’s no feeling! Laughing
snow conditions
Another vote for 3/4 length.
ski holidays
I've had my merino base layers for a while, didn't even know 3/4 lengths were a thing until a year or so ago...but I've never had a problem with pulling on socks nice n' tight and high, then the long johns over top. I do make sure there aren't any bulges/creases etc. I may switch to 3/4 length next time, but then again i like to be able to wear them for activities other than skiing so full length is more versatile for me.
snow report
martinm wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Oi, this southerner doesn't wear a lower baselayer!

Clevedon is definitely the north. This (proper) southerner don't wear a base layer on legs either.
snow conditions
Gordyjh wrote:
@Jonny996, @martinm, @Frosty the Snowman, where there’s no sense, there’s no feeling! Laughing

But there is a decent pair of salopettes Cool
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Clevedon is definitely the north. This (proper) southerner don't wear a base layer on legs either.

Clevedon is south of the M4, that makes it Sarf.
ski holidays
@Jonny996,
Quote:

depends whether you wear shell pants or insulated pants
snow report
For me it’s always full length base layer but then folded back up over my already laced in tiger balm knees to give them the extra warmth theydeserve and need.
snow report
Mjit wrote:

Same
latest report
jedster wrote:
@Jonny996,
Quote:

depends whether you wear shell pants or insulated pants

I'm with Jonny996. I don't usually wear base layer. And I normally wear shell pants only. Granted, my "shell" pants is wind proof and somehow being rather warm, even though there's no insulation. (I tried xc skiing in it one day, a rather chilly day, I was sweating buckets at my thighs. So it may just be me who sweat a lot)

But on really cold days (below 10F), I would add a thin base layer. Or, I switch to insulated pants, sans base layer.

Odd thing is, when I stop to pee, I noticed my thighs would be cold to the touch. But somehow that doesn't bother me. And if it's warm, I start sweating and it gets rather uncomfortable.
ski holidays
kittya wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Same

You couldn't have them inside socks and over boots could you snowHead snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy