Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere with adventurous child

Poster: A snowHead
We're headed out in a couple of weeks, our first time there in the winter. Kid's getting a little bored with groomed runs, tends to ski at the sides looking for jumps etc. We'll be looking for more varied terrain, crud, or powder if we get lucky. Can you suggest anywhere un-groomed in-bounds? Preferably not too committing and we won't have off piste kit. I see on the map there's 'espace freeride de zittieux' would that suit? Something of the level of flute bowl in Whistler would be ideal (that's asking a lot!). Conditions permitting of course.
TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Thuile too of course Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I could be wrong, but there ain't no such thing as "in bounds" in europe. You're either on the marked piste or you're off piste, in which case you should really have Pieps etc.
(Itinaires are obviously an exception to the above)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose un-grommed marked runs is what I'm looking for, popular back home, difficult to find in the alps Sad I can't see any itineraries on the map of La Rosiere. Un-committing mogul runs (where you can dip in and out) would be an option too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you turn right shortly after coming down tetras (the main blue down to la ros from the top of the Roches Noir chair) there is a patrolled and controlled free ride area which links down to the rouvinettes blue (near top of ecudets chair lift). It’s the pink area marked as espace freeride on the map.

https://www.larosiere.ski/tzr/scripts/downloader2.php?filename=T004/fichier/4a/cd/GB.48ib5uptnkje&mime=application/pdf&originalname=la_rosiere_2018-2019_v3.pdf

There is also a lot of pretty safe between piste areas underneath the fort chair (you will be in plain sight of the chair).

I would imagine there will also be a lot of easy accessed off piste in the new mont valaison sector (not been since it was opened).

Lots of other areas but might start to get a bit more serious.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Canuck wrote:
I suppose un-grommed marked runs is what I'm looking for, popular back home, difficult to find in the alps Sad I can't see any itineraries on the map of La Rosiere. Un-committing mogul runs (where you can dip in and out) would be an option too.

There's one (or was was last yr, a Red) in St Foy. which isn't far away.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @sheffskibod, I'll definitely scope that one out during ski school Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A bit of a hilly schlep to drive from La Ros to the lifts at St Foy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think he'd have a great time.
We sent 4 of our mad young uns off with an instructor for an off piste lesson. He skied the legs off them, really tested them, they loved it.

There is a lot more to la Rosiere than one would expect
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Canuck, mini_mgrolf basically spent a week off piste with Evo2 lessons in La Ros last year. I don't know everywhere they went, but definitely down the side that is the new sector, and also up and over the ridge to the right of the long drags to La Thuile (that involved a fair hike). I was very envious, though she struggled quite a lot with the variable snow. They did all have avy kit though. As @sheffskibod says, there's loads that looks generally safe under Fort, just keep an eye out as there were a few terrain traps in there last year, possibly due to the humungous amount of snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mgrolf, @Frosty the Snowman, Thanks, I'm super excited, especially with the lack of skiing in Scotland this year. Kiddo isn't evo2 academy level & maturity yet so we've booked esf in the mornings for a bit of a rite of passage! Now to make the afternoons as fun as possible!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As @pam w, indicates, it's probably not convenient to travel to Ste Foy and need another lift pass etc to get the routes you're after. Although there is a higher road that precludes the need to go down to BSM to get there by car. You must be able to find suitable parts in La Rosiere I'd think.

It does offer the point by @martinm, though as consideration for future destination. We along with another family have stayed in Ste Foy for the last four years with 4 children from 5yr old progressing ski abilities. Even the ski school there routinely takes them through "off" marked piste routes through the trees etc.

It offers alot in this type of terrain with some particularly good safe options to explore. And of course progressing right up to itineraries, in essence alot more like the "in bounds" description familiar to @Canuck, it all has that feel about it. So perhaps offers something for future trips. Has a very friendly relaxed atmosphere entirely.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's no need to go to Ste Foy there is a lot masses of off-piste in La Rosiere and even more when La Thuile is included. As @Frosty the Snowman, says there's a lot more to La Ros than expected. You don't become a world's best off-piste skier - Nathan Gaidet without having a play ground to train on. For a view of what can be achieved check out Luighi Rottier, he has posted some terrific videos. He and Dorian Arpin have set up OriginAlps a ski adventure company offering all sorts of ski randonee, including heli-skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a black run off the La Roc Noir chair which a piste basher waved at once, I think. Not sure it is groomed that often.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Most of the off-piste at La Rosiere appeared to be off the Fort chair (on the right as you go up it). The new Mt Valaison chair has opened up a lot more, I imagine.
latest report
@rp3231, most of the off-piste in La Rosiere is in the sayolieres sector which is to the left of the Roches Noires chairlift, going down towards Fontaine Froid, you can ski all the way down to Seez when there's sufficient snow but not to be recommended without a guide. Mont Valaison is or was a super off-piste area, either going down towards the Fort chairlift or off the other face towards the Col de Petit Saint Bernard, so no need to hike over from the top of the fort chairlift anymore. The new chairlifts really open up the area and have increased the pisted ski area considerably.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy