Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots too big

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I've been stupid but we are where we are. Last Easter bought a new pair of boots in resort, old pair had done 15 years and the new ones felt so good and my skiing improved overnight as the tighter flex just felt so awesome!

Two days into this year's trip and having compared the standard footbed with my old custom footbed, these boots are bigger. Bummer! Like I said, we are where we are.

Just back to the apartment and I've tried putting my old custom foot beds on top of the bog standard ones and the fit feels much better. What are the possible downsides of trying this tomorrow?

Anything else I can do to improve the situation?

Heel lift is not a problem, they just feel massive around the toe and ball of the foot area....?

snowHead Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had similar, and made a " fix" with a flat footbed as a shim. It sort of helped a bit.

The only real answer is boots that fit though. I gave up with the first pair and got some fitted properly, and it's a different world.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Tyke, I was wondering why you didn't take your old custom footbed along when you bought the new boots ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bones, it's a good question. I don't have a good answer..!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One piece of mitigating evidence - I have lost 10kgs in between ski holidays which must've played some part in the new slack fit, although it doesn't account for the new boots being physically bigger... Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I've tried putting my old custom foot beds on top of the bog standard ones and the fit feels much better. What are the possible downsides of trying this tomorrow?

Try it?

If it doesn’t work out, it’s easy to take out one or the other and continue on. You’re no worse off than not trying.

I can’t see any downside.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd suggest a flat, incompressible volume reducer such as these:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-3mm-volume-adjuster-p328444
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ski Tyke, my boots last season were properly fitted, I've also lost some weight and it has made a surprising difference to the fit of my boots, I've really had to crank up the buckles, and can probably move the adjustable calf buckle back in to the narrowest setting now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seemed to work ok.... snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IM 27,3 cm on my foot
Last year i used x pro 90 size 28
after 20-30 times use they were to large

I bougth them new on 50% and sold them for 25% for full price

And bought x 100 this year for 50%
Went down to 27,5
Very hard in the beginning compared to the ones before, thigth etc... I use a super thin wool sock its similar to a fine clothing suits/smoking in appeareance.

Now i start noticing the boots are getting larger and larger...

My next step is to use the wider merino wool socks that i used before , they have padding... After that I will buy a new custom sole.

Next time u buy booes... measure ure foot long before.

Put a peace of A4 white paper, a pen, two books... Measure sides and length.
Do it a couple of times to get specific, heck do it before sleep and in the morning.

Anyways... I was a 27.3 and bougth a 28...
When i went down to 27.5 i went down 28.5 to 27.5 in outer boot plastic.
But the inner sole 28.00 to 27.5 So my boot became 1cm shorter...

I never did any custom heating, no need for this.

when u buy boots in a shop.... Take out the inner shoe from the plastic shoe.
put the inner shoe on and feel with fingers the gaps... And know that it will increase 0,5 to 1.0 size after some use.

My experience is that i usually manage to find boots on 50% sale. Ive been lucky so far. Good luck
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IM 27,3 cm on my foot
Last year i used x pro 90 size 28
after 20-30 times use they were to large

I bougth them new on 50% and sold them for 25% 0f full price

And bought salomon x 100 this year for 50%
Went down to 27,5
Very hard in the beginning compared to the ones before, thigth etc... I use a super thin wool sock its similar to a fine clothing suits/smoking in appeareance.

Now i start noticing the boots are getting larger and larger...

My next step is to use the wider merino wool socks that i used before , they have padding... After that I will buy a new custom sole.

Next time u buy booes... measure ure foot long before.

Put a peace of A4 white paper, a pen, two books... Measure sides and length.
Do it a couple of times to get specific, heck do it before sleep and in the morning.

Anyways... I was a 27.3 and bougth a 28...
When i went down to 27.5 i went down 28.5 to 27.5 in outer boot plastic.
But the inner sole 28.00 to 27.5 So my boot became 1cm shorter...

I never did any custom heating, no need for this.

when u buy boots in a shop.... Take out the inner shoe from the plastic shoe.
put the inner shoe on and feel with fingers the gaps... And know that it will increase 0,5 to 1.0 size after some use.

My experience is that i usually manage to find boots on 50% sale. Ive been lucky so far. Good luck
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but wanted to share the outcome.

So, I was in Meribel last week and booked an appointment at The Boot Lab.

As predicted above, I ended up with a new pair of boots which look like they’d fit inside my old pair!

After a first day of agony on the slopes, a bit of shell blowing down the outside of each foot has left me with a pair of boots that are very snug fitting, comfortable and have helped my skiing enormously.

Just wanted to put a shout out for The Boot Lab as their service and attention to detail was very impressive.

Probably spent over 3 hours in the shop over two days and a lot more money than I’d have ideally liked but at my age, they’ll probably se me out so all worth it!

And sold the oversize ones on eBay this morning at reasonable money. snowHead Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ski Tyke, that’s excellent...but there’s something which is niggling me.

Both you and HellsBells seem to lose weight from your feet? What the hell kind of diet were you on? It’s not a well known weight-loss area....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, It's a bat diet. Loads of fruit, then at night you hang.................

Anyway, you get the picture.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@valais2, i lost half a size off my feet when i lost 2 stone
snow conditions
@thecramps, sounds like a batty idea.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, gosh half a size...this is very interesting actually, not something I have heard of before.

A quick search suggests it is a real thing, with various factors contributing.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/405511-when-you-lose-weight-do-your-feet-get-smaller/

I can see the daytime TV ad ‘Feet too big?....time to try our targeted foot diet....’
snow report
I know someone who lost two shoe sizes when they lost 7 stone
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy