Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I choose which ski poles to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

@jedstar why don't you use straps and clips mechanism for off piste?

trees and avalanche risk

In trees you can get a pole grabbed - much better to let it go than get yanked round by your wrist. In an avalanche you want to shed gear so that it doesn't act as an anchor and can perhaps float to the surface giving a clue to where you might have gone. Now a lot of the time neither of these will really apply but using straps is a habit so I'd prefer not to have to remember to take them off.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jester much appreciated.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i dont use pole straps..and I'm just a piste skier. I just don't like them round my wrist. I have 1 pair of carbon poles because I didn't know any better when I bought my first skis. The ones I use most are the cheapest alu I could find in Flachau when I bought skis to leave out there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What do we think?

By the time I've added the spare baskets, I'm not going to be far off this cost. Not convinced by the colour though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks a good deal. Stupid colour of course but at that price you could probably afford to lose them
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
...or let my daughter paint them...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Penry wrote:
What do we think?

By the time I've added the spare baskets, I'm not going to be far off this cost. Not convinced by the colour though.

Not enough Flange! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:

Not enough Flange! Madeye-Smiley

Laughing I'll just have to make up for it with superior technique.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
These are great - strong, light, decent baskets and long grips for traversing in steep terrain. My previous poles lasted 10 seasons so $10 per season seemed reasonable value

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/black-crows/furtis-sc.html?force_sid=hjjn40ilst3uuiimjefkgkoha3
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've looked at those black crows and they look very nice but 120 euros for a pair of sticks is silly IMO.
My trab touring ones are very similar except ally rather than composite and cost about 20 quid (albeit about 8 years ago)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pretty similar to the Black Crows, 1/3 of the price:
https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/rebloch-stick-snowleader-green-SNOW00182.html
https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/atomic-bct-freeride-sqs/136874702/p

I'm going to go for the snowleader ones as they're quite a bit lighter (215 vs 300 grams). Also switching from my old carbon poles to aluminium, as carbon is more likely to break and alu to bend, and skiing off piste a lot a broken pole can be a nightmare. Further I don't like the flex in my carbon poles when planting.

I also read somewhere of a man dying after being stabbed in the femoral artery by his broken carbon pole. Food for thought Toofy Grin

As said, long grips good for touring and steeps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JackSkier,
They look excellent - one of my poles IS a tad bent... Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
to consider .. length, matching colour if thats your thing, retractable...
add ons ... pow baskets only (detachable loops ? shouldnt use loop debate )
only premium price to consider on a set of poles, is does it allow for your favourite tipple inside ?

poles break, get bent, get dented, get scratched, stolen, none are heavy, you dont need race poles, noone looks at them and thinks ooooooh nice poles ...... well, someone might
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went for the £10 Decathlon ones as the more expensive ones there had non-changeable piste baskets and I'm going on the PreBB bash tomorrow (which I had no intention of doing when I started the thread). I'll probably keep an eye out for a special bargain though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Penry wrote:
and I'm going on the PreBB bash tomorrow (which I had no intention of doing when I started the thread).

5 days is a long time on snowHeads Laughing
latest report
Thread exhumation alert...

I’d love to have a pair of collapsible lightweight poles that I can use for piste skiing, gentletouring™️ and hiking (via ferrata descents with dodgy knees).

Does such a thing exist? Presumably I’d need the ability to swap baskets / tips to suit intended use?

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
@IanTr, We have two pairs of BD poles and they have been used for a bit of hiking as well as touring and off piste. Have been pretty bomb proof. The 3 section ones may be better for via ferrata.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-poles-touring
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy