Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying a vignette at the Ferney-Voltaire border crossing.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we're flying into Geneva on Saturday next weekend and have a 9 seater hire booked from the French sector. How easy is it to buy a vignette (If the van doesn't already have one!) at the border crossing at the exit from the French sector access road? Do we literally just park up and ask a guard for one?

We've booked from the French side in the past but have usually gone through Geneva to get to Chatel via Thonon. However this time we're going to Les Gets so could do with hopping straight on the motorway.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's more a case of how easy it is to avoid paying in my mind! You only need it for driving on the Swiss motorways and it is such a small stretch it is a lot of money for a bit of convenience. At this time of year they will be on the look out for cars that do not have them, so they tend to make you queue and they check. If they are not checking just keep going. You can navigate your way around the short stretch but it depends if you want the inconvenience on the way in and out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a petrol station on the French side just before the customs post, you should be able to buy one there if not at the customs post itself. You can usually pay in Euros, I paid €39 the other day though that was at the other end of Switzerland though cant see why the cost would vary. It is normally cash only.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Cheesie168, there are big fines for not having one, there are now high def cameras monitoring vehicles, really not worth the risk (despite the expense) if you are going to drive on Swiss Autoroutes at all.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, thanks for the tip on the high-def cameras, might need a rethink now on our strategy as we only ever use that section and have one most of the time but some years have only had to go once to collect/drop-off. If we are there in the summer we keep off the autoroutes as it is a nicer drive around the lake on the other routes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

How easy is it to buy a vignette (If the van doesn't already have one!) at the border crossing at the exit from the French sector access road?

I have bought a vignette there in the past, but I wouldn't be sure it's always open/manned. If it isn't, there shouldn't be any problem buying one at Bardonnex. I'd be more bothered about having snowchains that fit - assuming you're driving to a ski resort. It's easier to get onto the motorway from the Ferney Voltaire border post than from the main international airport, actually.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just drive through Geneva to Annemasse and then follow to non autoroute road up to Cluses and on to Les gets and buy yourself a beer with the money you saved
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, will try the petrol station first and then the border post if for some reason they don't have them. We've arrived at the same time for the past few years and it's always rush hour in Geneva when we drive through so this time with a couple of pre-school kids in the van we're happy to pay the CHFs to skirt around that.

Quote:

I'd be more bothered about having snowchains that fit

We're taking some with us we've bought and occasionally used for the past few years, seem to fit any hire-van-sized wheels nicely. And some snow socks the next size down for if the wheels are a little smaller than expected.

If they both don't fit we'll head to a supermarket before hitting the mountain road.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BergenBergen wrote:
Just drive through Geneva to Annemasse and then follow to non autoroute road up to Cluses and on to Les gets and buy yourself a beer with the money you saved

Did the same this summer. It’s not even as if it’s a longer route and was extremely straightforward , signs are excellent
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you decide you're going to get one you can get a vignette by post from the Switzerland Travel Centre in London. See https://switzerlandtravelcentre.co.uk/excursion/motorway-vignette-switzerland/ Of course, at £32 + £350 fee, it costs a bit more, but the point about the petrol station being shut is germane.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think @msej449 means a £3.50 fee.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Bardonnex border will be open
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can buy one at the kiosk at Ferney Voltaire as you cross into Switzerland from France
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
99% sure the van won't have one - hire companies seem to remove them if they are returned with one on. We have driven out on the swiss motorway without a vignette 10+ time without any problems. They only check coming back in. Just leave in time and drive back through Geneva (assuming you are a confident driving as getting round the lake at rush hour is like dodgems....)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could hope there is a vignette already on board but, if not, use a route that avoids the Swiss motorway:

https://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
ski holidays
Some SatNavs have a specific option for 'avoid vignettes' without avoiding motorways or other motorway tolls.

Despite the additional 10-30 minutes (depending on congestion), I've used this technique when staying in PdS and picking someone up at Geneva - and later dropping them off.
ski holidays
You can buy the vignette at the Ferney border post
Need to go to the last office in the building on the left hand side as you go from France to Switzerland
Best to park behind the building on the right
Payment can be by credit card - option to pay in Euros, £ or Swiss francs
Bought my 2019 vignette there back in December
DM me if you need more details
snow report
To buy one, just drive through. They will stop you maybe, and direct you to (usually) two people selling them in the swiss customs layby.

To reduce the chance of being stopped go in the right hand lane (usually of the 3 open) for caravans, trailers, vans, cars.

I get stopped about 1 in 5 trips (I do it weekly) because my vignette is stuck under the sun strip so they struggle to see it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy