Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Close to geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice off you knowledgeable people please.

Going to chamonix for a short trip with a couple of friends soon and thanks to my wonderful mum offering to have kids we are now toying with the idea of my wife joining me at the end of trip for a couple of days after my friends head back.

The question is after meeting her at Geneva do we head back to cham (I know she'd love that as she's seen my pics and heard how nice the town is from my previous trips), or do we try another resort as close or even closer to Geneva. Perhaps combloux or st gervais or les houche which gives us the option of chamonix anyone been to both who can compare? Or any other resort suggestions? We will only have 2 nights and 2.5 days there.

I am an intermediate who can get down most pistes with varying levels of grace and my wife has only 1 week under her belt which was 7 or 8 years ago. Obviously I know cham isn't ideal for beginners but I'm sure she would handle le tour ok.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to Cham.

It's only an hour away.

Give her a chance to see the low glaciers in Cham and Argentiere. They are melting fast and won't be around much longer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends when you're traveling.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. Yeh sad to think what global warming may eventually do to the alpine landscape.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. Yeh sad to think what global warming may eventually do to the alpine landscape.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobbyO,

its called climate change now, after Global Warming was debunked.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Original trip Tues morn till fri night. My wife might fly out sat morn but would only ski sun and Mon before flying back Mon eve.

Week after next so before any school hols anywhere....... I think.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mr.Egg, I do apologise
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobbyO, snow in Cham really rather excellent. Especially higher up. La Tour would be lovely.

Anywhere lower not such good quality...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Week after next

In that case it's a great time to go, and you have plenty of choice. I think if I were a one-week skier who'd not been skiing for years I'd prefer somewhere other than Chamonix (though Les Houches would be nice, and closer to Geneva than Le Tour).

Bear in mind that your wife will probably need a lesson or two.

Megeve is a nice town with ritzy shops and restaurants and lovely Mont Blanc facing scenery. ill you have a car? If you can drive up from the village to the "front de neige" Combloux is also worth considering - from the front de neige Mont Blanc is right "in your face". Combloux is a pretty village, very French - much gentler feel than Chamonix.

For complete ski convenience the Flaine bowl would be worth considering, but not such nice ambiance.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe you could try Courmayeur. Lovely Italian town with pretty good skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, thanks v much for all the info.

Not sure on car yet, already got transfers for chamonix so might hire as begrudge paying for another set of expensive transfers.

Megeve sounds lovely but may be over budget, do you know if it more expensive for food and drink than chamonix as wouldn't go if it was more?

Prob just gonna have to plump for one, sure it'll be a wonderful little trip wherever we choose.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Creamer, thanks

Do like the look of courmayeur
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you feel Les Houche is for you https://www.maison-jaune.com/ is a recommendation for a couple of days.

Literally right on the piste which passes the garden.

Enough ski area to find your feet again, close to Geneva too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More obviously confidence building slopes and close to airport usually with good transfer facilities, Les Gets, more than enough local pistes of gentle accent to enjoy at stated level of ski skills.

Also, smaller with good ski area to bring skills out of hibernation, Praz de Lys, very good lift pass cost, predominantly French bias, excellent food choices and costs, would be ideal. One of the closest to Geneva too.
latest report
@ski3, thanks for suggestions
snow report
Why change- she can get the Cham express low cost transfer to meet you in Chamonix and off you go. It is ideal for non skiers as it is a proper charming town. Its such a short time she is there that it would be a shame to lose a day in transferring to another resort.
snow conditions
BobbyO wrote:
@Creamer, thanks

Do like the look of courmayeur

I've been there a few times. It's an old town with cobbled streets, nice hotels, nice restaurants, and friendly people. Personally, I prefer Italy to France etc..
snow report
@BobbyO, the snow in Courmayeur is currently not excellent.

And on this side anything below 1,600m is artificial, or may as well be.

I’m still thinking La Tour your best bet.

And the easiest transfer...

Megeve is more expensive than Cham.
snow report
@under a new name, that rules megeve out then.

Was leaning towards Lee houches as a different place for me to try, possibly better for beginners plus close enough to hop on the bus to cham for my wife to have a look around and experience the town. However would Les houches fall into that poor snow bracket you speak of?
snow report
@BobbyO, hiked not far from there today - Plateau des Glières 12-1400m and snow still in lovely shape off the trails. Due to get a slight top up mid week and temperatures are getting colder so I wouldn't be too worried about poor snow conditions - somewhere like Les Houches should be fine.
ski holidays
@BobbyO, actually, no, not up top. We were up LHs today and the upper slopes (in Scottish AA Snow report parlance) were very nice indeed.

A small top up forecast for Thursday, not enough to make any big changes, just a refresher.
snow report
@gvj, and @under a new name, Thank you both.

Our little trip extension not looking as likely now unfortunately unless we can get a couple of days sat 8th Feb till Mon 10th Feb. Not as keen on this though as it's the start of some French holidays. Is any of the Mont blanc resorts likely to be less crowded than others for said weekend?

. Being a very short break don't want to spend it in lift queues.
latest report
Quote:

Is any of the Mont blanc resorts likely to be less crowded than others for said weekend?

Saturday should be fine. Sunday not too bad if you start really early, then stop for lunch/snack about 11.30, ski right through the lunch time (when the restaurants will be crammed) then maybe beat a tactical retreat when all the afternoon skiers come out. I really don't know which place will be least crowded but the Cret du Midi cable car (Praz sur Arly, just along the valley from Megeve) is a fast 6 man chair by a big free car park and is not normally too bad for queues.
snow report
@pam w, noted thankyou
snow report
If you do ski from Praz sur Arly I can highly recommend ending your day with a hot dog Savoyard at the K-Bane Bistro near the car park. Nom nom nom.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy