Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cimes De Caron Cable Car Knackered

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@wetheral1, @ecureuil, Good points — thank you.

I've also head talk that they are looking to expand the Orelle skiing area, and Orelle village itself. They are also building a big restaurant/bar at the top of the Cime de Caron.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do hope so... There is certainly scope for it. Big barrier is that we are talking about Vanoise national park territory so planning hurdles would be significant
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ecureuil wrote:
One of the main drivers surely has to be to provide an alternative route back to VT if the Rosael chair breaks down.
Agreed.
ecureuil wrote:
I'm always a little nervous when in the Orelle valley at present, as a single lift failure could mean a lot of skiers fighting for either limited overnight accommodation or paying for a 90 mile taxi journey back to VT.

That's not what happens. I've been there when Rosael has been kaput. They bring in every skidoo, helicopter and piste basher they can get their hands on and ferry everybody out. No-one is expected to download to Orelle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Poogle wrote:
@FrediKanoute, I was told by VT locals, that one the main ideas of the new lifts up from Orelle to the Cime de Caron, is to enable visitors to arrive from airports to Orelle in the valley, and then take gondolas/cable cars all the way into Val Thorens itself, together with their luggage.

Haven't heard that before but it's a genius idea!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wetheral1 wrote:
I do hope so... There is certainly scope for it. Big barrier is that we are talking about Vanoise national park territory so planning hurdles would be significant

Good point, and I'm surprised even some development is going ahead. The Orelle Bouchet chairlift is SO slow, and deliberately so, as the environmentalists did not want so many people going up to that section; so I'm not sure how everything else has been given the OK. I read somewhere that the removal of the "Glacier" chairlift in VT was a Quid-pro-quo for the Orelle development.

In the big scheme of things, VT is having a lot of money and development pumped into it, as it's the highest ski resort in Europe, and thus more resistant to global warming than lower resorts.

Rumour I heard this year: That the area currently occupied by the car racetracks amongst the car parks, has been designated as a new "quarter" to be developed with accommodation etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm the Gondola/ Cable car commute is an interesting idea but 2 stage gondi- walk across icy windblown plateau- cable car download - gondi download- gondi upload is a hell of a lot of links. And people trying to do it with full luggage probably on a Sat pm with skiers in the mix. And seriously high winds at the top of the Caron are hardly unknown. Would probably need a fleet of cat buses as back up if they wanted to encourage people to arrive that way.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alti - dude, Half the pylons are in for the new Gondola and the stations are half built. It should be ready for next season.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raceplate wrote:
That's not what happens. I've been there when Rosael has been kaput. They bring in every skidoo, helicopter and piste basher they can get their hands on and ferry everybody out. No-one is expected to download to Orelle.

Thanks; that's good to know. Should be fine for anyone staying in VT. In that situation do they keep other links open later, for those delayed but staying in Meribel / Courchevel?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wetheral1 wrote:
Hmmm... That sounds a bit far fetched to me but I guess stranger things have happened. Already large car parks at Orelle which are rammed during peak holiday times.

Can't see people being happy being dumped at Orelle and expected to take a cable car or four. Can you imagine that working in France? "err, sorry we are closed for zee evening, you 'ave to walk to VT".
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ecureuil wrote:
Raceplate wrote:

Thanks; that's good to know. Should be fine for anyone staying in VT. In that situation do they keep other links open later, for those delayed but staying in Meribel / Courchevel?

Not that I know of but why should they? It's no different to any other lift breaking down for an hour late in the day and you missing the last links home. Nobody's happy about it but it's a risk you take by travelling across valleys.

Getting stuck in the Belleville (VT) valley from Meribel is an expensive taxi home but it shouldn't happen. Realistically, if you're an average punter in Orelle and going back to Meribel/Courchevel you should be leaving by 2.30pm at the latest. If Rosael breaks down and you're delayed by an hour you still have enough time to at least get over the top to the Meribel valley and then use the Meribel ski bus to go wherever you want to go.

It's really only an issue for Courchevel residents who will likely miss the last Pas du Lac uplift home (because it closes relatively early). But as long as you make a (any) lift out of Belleville into the Meribel valley you can use the Meribel ski bus (or the Rhodos lift from the Chaudanne which opens late) to go to Meribel Village, have a pint and get a €20 taxi to La Tania. Have another pint and then take the Courchevel ski bus from LT back to where you need to go.

So that's €10 on beer, €20 on a taxi and a jolly tale to regale your comrades with over dinner. Not the worst day out. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raceplate,

2 pints for €10 in Meribel and La Tania Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The question is, is Cime de Caron lift working this winter? (Or does it still fall under Whitegold's 'creaking lift' classification?? wink )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister wrote:
Raceplate,

2 pints for €10 in Meribel and La Tania Very Happy

Lifts have just shut - it's still happy hour! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cime Caron is working !

Prep well advanced for a fast higher capacity replacement lift from the bottom of Orelle up to the ski area and then a new lift linking up to Cime Caron. Will be ready for next year. It’s not a one lift job as you will have to swap if you are going all the way up to Cime Caron.

There will be a new car park at Orelle and foundations in. This will add car parking capacity.

Entertaining scaremongering on being stuck in Orelle. Guess it’s happened on the odd occasion but much bigger risk is weather risk but they’ve always been great in fixing that when the weather has been bad including a lift across the ridge in a basher
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy